Can anyone give me some advice on how to track down my problem? My
hardware is an SS1000E with 5 SM81s and 1.2GB RAM. Thanks.

James

The Game Development Search Engine
and DQuest E-zine
http://www.gdse.com/

A Member of the Future Games Network
http://www.fgn.com/

Re: 3 Times Isn't a Charm for me and Lucene [ In reply to ]
Uh, this is a very broad question.
A number of things could be wrong.
Look at your Tomcat log files.
Write a class that you can run from the command line, not as a servlet,
that may be easier to debug. You can use one of the demo ones to get
started.
Log things, don't catch exceptions and ignore them, etc.
Check that your index directory exists, that it is readable by the user
doing the searchs, etc. etc.

Otis

Re: 3 Times Isn't a Charm for me and Lucene [ In reply to ]
James Rozee wrote:

> I've just recently recoded my entire website and search engine to use
> Tomcat 4.0.3, Velocity, MySQL and Lucene 1.2-rc4. I have been using MySQL
> and servlets for a few years now. However, I only recently started using
> Lucene. I've built a Lucene index from my document collection and now I
> need to be able to search it from a servlet.
>
> My first attempt to do this causes Tomcat to return a page that is empty.
> Can anyone give me some advice on how to track down my problem? My
> hardware is an SS1000E with 5 SM81s and 1.2GB RAM. Thanks.

Empty page from Tomcat often means that you are generating
an exception or smoething and the page is dying, but
you don't get very good debug information or output because
of output buffering and such, so where the page is dying isn't
clear from what you get.

Put some more try {} sections in your dangerous code, and see
if you can get more info. Also try commenting in and out a few sections
at a time and see what you can find.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca

Re: 3 Times Isn't a Charm for me and Lucene [ In reply to ]
Looks like a pure Velocity issue (or probably some bad logic in the
coded that uses it). You may also want to do things I suggested in the
original message before sending a message to Velocity list.

Otis

--- James Rozee <root@gdse.com> wrote:
> Thanks for responding. I wrote my message in panic mode so I left
> out
> some vital information. The servlet works for three queries and then
> causes Tomcat to produce this error in its log file:
>
> 2002-05-03 09:35:08 org.apache.catalina.INVOKER.gdse.search: init
> 2002-05-03 09:47:47 org.apache.catalina.INVOKER.gdse.search:
> /servlet/gdse.search: org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotF
> oundException: Unable to find resource 'templates/gdse/main.vm'
> 2002-05-03 09:47:50 WebappLoader[] Error tracking modifications
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at java.util.Arrays.sort(Arrays.java:1073)
> at

org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.list(FileDirContext.java:895)
> at

org.apache.naming.resources.FileDirContext.listBindings(FileDirContext.java:354)
> at

org.apache.naming.resources.ProxyDirContext.listBindings(ProxyDirContext.java:479)
> at

org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.modified(WebappClassLoader.java:798)

Re: 3 Times Isn't a Charm for me and Lucene [ In reply to ]
[...]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)

After that I have to reboot my server. It is claiming it is a Velocity
problem but I have not had this appear before. Yet when I started to use
Lucene, I get this weird error. All of my other servlets seem to be
working fine, however, they have not been tested under any simulated load
yet.

I tried to pattern my code after the demo but I may be missing something.
If you want to see the code, let me know. Any guesses as to whether I

Re: 3 Times Isn't a Charm for me and Lucene [ In reply to ]
After working with Tomcat settings and my servlet some more, I finally got
it to return an exception as to why it wasn't working. Which was:

java.io.IOException: Too many open files

This makes sense as to why the servlet wouldn't load and the page was
purely blank. It didn't have the file handles left to open either the
template or the servlet so it croaked. I looked through the Lucene
archives and found another message which talked about that error and how
their index may not have been optimized. I looked and sure enough mine
wasn't and after optimizing I went to a handful of files and the servlet
works fine. Thanks.

James