because I get "too many open files in system" after running lucene a while!

I use the 1.2 rc 4 version!

regards

Re: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
root wrote:

> Doesn't Lucene releases the filehandles??
>
> because I get "too many open files in system" after running lucene a while!

Are you closing the readers and writers after you've finished using them?

cheers,

Chris

RE: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
it's not a matter of releasing the handles, it needs to keep them open,
this tricked me as well I thought it kept the file handles of the
source XML files open, but if you look at the code it actually reads the
contents of
the files from an HTTP request, the file handles are consumed by the files
that lucene creates
to store the index results, that's why you get the same error when you try
to search as well
it tries to open all the files but runs out of handles in the process, you
have to increase your
unix file handles and reboot the system (how to depends on your OS), this
solves one problem.

I just hit another one, but I'm convinced it's worth it, I've gotten
excellent results after indexing
20 000 files, very fast and very responsive and if it's going to take some
tweaking to get it over this
problem so be it, that's the joy of open source

cheers .. I hope that was useful

Doesn't Lucene releases the filehandles??

because I get "too many open files in system" after running lucene a while!

I use the 1.2 rc 4 version!

regards

For additional commands, e-mail:

Re: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 9. April 2002 14:08, you wrote:
> root wrote:
> > Doesn't Lucene releases the filehandles??
> >
> > because I get "too many open files in system" after running lucene a
> > while!
>
> Are you closing the readers and writers after you've finished using them?
>
> cheers,
>
> Chris

Yes I close the readers and writers!

@Nader S. Henein

If I increase the filehandles, to what count should I increase them?

RE: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
that depends on how many files you're indexing .. I still have to figure out
too what logic does the LuceneCocoonIndexer adhere when it is creating the
index files

RE: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
I'm calling in response to the LuceneCocconIndexer, is this class an XML
file indexer? (excuse my ignorance i am just stepping into this whole
thing..)

I do a lot of development with PHP, on different platforms (WIN,*NIXES) and
I want to get into indexing data...

I am wondering if there are classes existing that index XML files, and for
search results, spit out an xml stream..

I am figuring I would send results to lucene via the cmd line, but i am not
sure how i would capture the xml results.. Do I have to have Lucene make a
physical XML file called for instance searchresults.xml then i set my XSLT
parser to that file.. ?

I am very curious about this whole thing and any help would be a super help.

Regards,
Ian

RE: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
This sounds like a question for Cocoon people, as what you are asking
about seems to be related to Cocoon's usage of Lucene, not the core
Lucene API.

Otis

Re: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
Judging from other messages in this thread it seems that the cause of
your problem could be an unoptimized index (somebody said that lots of
files need to be opened for searches).
Try optimizing your index. Optimizing an index will reduce the number
of files comprising your index.

Otis

RE: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
The issue is the same with Lucene when you index, if you're
indexing 200 000 files the amount of files created by the index cause the
index system to run out of file handles, is there an equation to find out
how many files will be created by the indexer based on the number of files
we want indexed ? , becasue that would give me an idea of how many file
handles
I would need

RE: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
I've indexed 250,000 items (database rows, not files) with Lucene on a
system like this:

[otis@kyle blink]$ ulimit
unlimited
[otis@kyle blink]$ tcsh
> limit
cputime unlimited
filesize unlimited
datasize unlimited
stacksize 8192 kbytes
coredumpsize 1000000 kbytes
memoryuse unlimited
descriptors 1024
memorylocked unlimited
maxproc 8192
openfiles 1024

I didn't encounter the 'too many open files' error.
You could change your code to optimize index after adding every X
documents to the index.
If you add Documents to a RAMDirectory-based IndexWriter, and them use
IndexWriter's addIndexes method, you will have an optimized index after
calling addIndexes method, plus you'll speed up indexing.

Otis

Re: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
I have worked a little with the cocoon indexer and it indexes each
xml-attribute in a Field. I have done some indexing on both plaintext and xml
sources and i think the "Too many open files" problem is directly related to
number of fields stored in a document in a index.

the reason for this is that i have never encountered "Too many open files"
when indexing clean text into one large field, but when creating many-many
fields as required by indexing xml i got a "Too many open files" until i had
to use a ram-dir to index document batches into..

mvh karl øie

RE: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
that might be the case I'm indexing 200 000 files each one has about 30 XML
fields each one
has a set of attributes .. could that be it ?

RE: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
I have worked with the cocoon indexer and it creates a field for each
xml-element and xml-attribute, with complex xml the number of segment
files grows out of control. There is two ways I see to change this.

1) change the cocoon indexer (I looked at this and decided against it)
2) add a stylesheet to the cocoon view to simplify the xml before
indexing (cocoon indexer uses views to extract the links and content for
indexing)

I ended up writing a webapp and indexing the html not the xml because I
also wanted to index jsp's and other things.

Rgds
CB

Re: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
petite_abeille wrote:

>>> Are you closing the readers and writers after you've finished using
>>> them?
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> Chris
>>

>> Yes I close the readers and writers!
>

> By the way, did you ever solved this problem? I want through that
> thread and everybody seem to be passing the buck to somebody else... :-(
>
> PA.

> For additional commands, e-mail:

how many open files you think can be used at your process??

look at the max-file field at proc to be sure its enough

maybe this could help ....... or maybe not

cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max

if you need more:

echo 50000 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

Re: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]

Re: too many open files in system [ In reply to ]
> how many open files you think can be used at your process??

Not sure. It varies with usage pattern. I will check it out in any case.

> cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max

cat: /proc/sys/fs/file-max: No such file or directory

> echo 50000 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

Unfortunately, I cannot use this kind of "quick fix" as my app is a
desktop app and can access the user account only.

PA.