Mailing List Archive

Wildcard search - Why can't I search for *term?
As I understand it Lucene does not support wildcard search terms
in the form of *term. But in my project I need to search for
terms by their tails. Does anyone have a work around?

Thanks.

Sheldon

RE: Wildcard search - Why can't I search for *term? [ In reply to ]
In a way, *term searches are supported - just iterate through every term in
TermEnum. Unfortunately, this is a linear O(n) algorithm so it does become
very slow as the number of terms in the index increases. If your index is
small (eg, < 1GB), I find the search time still pretty acceptable.
Otherwise, the I suggest you be a little creative in the way you create your
index (eg, keep search terms in reverse "mret*" instead of "*term")

Dave Kor Kian Wei
Consultant
Product Engineering
NexusEdge Technologies Pte. Ltd.