From: amithnz@netscape.net [mailto:amithnz@netscape.net]
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 10:08 PM
To: lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: storing index in third party database.

Hi all

I want to index the datas which I already stored in a thirdparty
database table and develop a search facility using lucene. I am thinking
of storing this indexes back to the database in another table. I know
for this we have to create a 'directory' which do all the indexing
operations,

for example

Indexwriter indwriter = new Indexwriter("dirStore",null,create);

where dirStore is the directory, create is boolean.

but I don't know the format to be followed for the
directory(dirStore).Please help me if anybody has done similar thing.
TIA
Amith

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/

Re: (ZipDirectory) RE: storing index in third party database. [ In reply to ]
I am doing some testing on managing the underlying data in a zip archive and
found that there is about a 15ms hit to use a zip vs. grabbing directly from
file system.

This is very reasonable for me vs. having to manage moving around a 1000's +
files.

--Peter

Re: (ZipDirectory) RE: storing index in third party database. [ In reply to ]
could you put up the source? i would really appreciate it.

mvh karl øie

Re: (ZipDirectory) RE: storing index in third party database. [ In reply to ]
I have just been doing tests. I still haven't comepleted it.

Also, this was for the data, not the index.

If you're still interested, I'll send the code when I complete it.

--Peter

Re: (ZipDirectory) RE: storing index in third party database. [ In reply to ]
Can you post the code. I would be interested in it.

Regards,
Lokesh

Re: (ZipDirectory) RE: storing index in third party database. [ In reply to ]
This code is still in development.

It hasn't been a high priority.

--Peter

RE: (ZipDirectory) RE: storing index in third party database. [ In reply to ]
Any hints on how to go about implmenting my own would be appreciated

Regards,
Lokesh

Re: (ZipDirectory) RE: storing index in third party database. [ In reply to ]
Are you looking to get the index in a zip or files in a zip?

--Peter

RE: (ZipDirectory) RE: storing index in third party database. [ In reply to ]
Actually both.

We have a tool which displays files contained in a jar/zip file. Now I want to add the capability to search these files. So I want to build a index and include it in this zip file.
I am hoping to extend lucene to be able to read the index from within the zip and return the path to the document which then can be displayed by our tool.

Regards,
Lokesh