Mailing List Archive

What do reader-valued Fields do?
What should I use to store and add to my Document a long
String? (thousands of characters)

I'm still having difficulty understanding what it means to create a field
with a reader value:

String aString = "fieldName";
String aStringReader = new StringReader(someLongText);
Field field = Field.Text(aString, aStringReader);

The documentation says that this will be "tokenized and indexed, but is
not stored in the index verbatim."

I'm using this to store a long text field - an entire document.

However, in my case, nothing appears to be stored in the index! What do
they mean by not being stored verbatim? I assumed this to mean that it
would run the text through my analyzer, at the least, and perhaps,
further, store it as a serialized form.

thanks
rob

Re: What do reader-valued Fields do? [ In reply to ]
This means that you can make searches against that field, but cannot
retrieve its original value.

Otis