Hi again!

I should really reword my question as follows:

On which criteria are relevant documents chosen given a particular query

and

once retrieved, how are these documents ranked?

The techniques by which this is done will then determine what type of IR model Lucene implements.

Thanks again!

Melissa
Re: What type of indexer is Lucene? Question reworded. [ In reply to ]
Melissa:

These questions are answered in the Lucene FAQ, which is located at

http://www.lucene.com/cgi-bin/faq/faqmanager.cgi

However, if I correctly understand your fundamental question, my
understanding is that Lucene basically uses the vector model of IR.

Joshua

Joshua Madden: Information Scientist, Musician, Philosopher-At-Tall
It's that moment of dawning comprehension that I live for--Bill Watterson

RE: What type of indexer is Lucene? Question reworded. [ In reply to ]
In http://www.lucene.com/publications.html you will find many answers to
your questions. The papers "An Object-Oriented Architecture for Text
Retrieval" and "Optimizations for Dynamic Inverted Index Maintenance"
will be especially helpful for your understanding of Lucene.

Re: What type of indexer is Lucene? Question reworded. [ In reply to ]
You should read the Lucene FAQ
http://www.lucene.com/cgi-bin/faq/faqmanager.cgi ). Most of your questions
(over the past few days) are already answered there.

-B