Mailing List Archive

Apach Solr Exercise 1 Index the Techproducts Data step not working
Hello,

I am trying to run the Solr Tutorial Exercise 1 Index Techproducts Data in
Windows 10. I typed the exact same command following it link:

https://solr.apache.org/guide/solr/latest/getting-started/tutorial-techprodu
cts.html

java -jar -Dc=techproducts -Dauto example\exampledocs\post.jar
example\exampledocs\*

But I always got the following error messages:

Error: Could not find or load main class
org.apache.solr.util.SimplePostTool.

My Java CLASSPATH has been configured with solr-core-9.8.0.jar as following:

CLASSPATH = C:\Solr\solr-9.4.0\dist\solr-core-9.4.0.jar

I have googled many stack overflow answers but no luck.

Does anyone know what is wrong with this error? Are there any other jar
libraries that I need to configure in my CLASSPATH in order to run this
command?

For the first step, "Launch Solr in SolrCloud Model", in the above link was
working very well. Why the same Windows command line doesn't work in my
computer?

Where is the library for org.apache.solr.util.SimplePostTool? Someone said
that SimplePostTool was only used in Solr old version. Is that true?

It is very hard to follow Solr command line to design Schema and indexing
for Solr. Are there any GUI interface for client side to implement Solr
server design?

Thank you very much

qizhi
Re: Apach Solr Exercise 1 Index the Techproducts Data step not working [ In reply to ]
Hi Qizhi,

I am moving your question to the Solr users list.

Re: Apach Solr Exercise 1 Index the Techproducts Data step not working [ In reply to ]
Thanks Qizhi and Shawn for digging into this.

So yeah, I think when I worked on migrating us to using bin/solr post I didn’t get ALL of the examples in the Ref Guide updated.

I’ve open https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-17068 and am going to try and get the migration done.

Thanks!

Eric

> On Nov 3, 2023, at 8:57 PM, Qizhi Zheng <qizhi@tentnology.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to run the Solr Tutorial Exercise 1 Index Techproducts Data in Windows 10. I typed the exact same command following it link:
> https://solr.apache.org/guide/solr/latest/getting-started/tutorial-techproducts.html
>
> java -jar -Dc=techproducts -Dauto example\exampledocs\post.jar example\exampledocs\*
>
> But I always got the following error messages:
>
> Error: Could not find or load main class org.apache.solr.util.SimplePostTool.
>
> My Java CLASSPATH has been configured with solr-core-9.8.0.jar as following:
>
> CLASSPATH = C:\Solr\solr-9.4.0\dist\solr-core-9.4.0.jar
>
> I have googled many stack overflow answers but no luck.
>
> Does anyone know what is wrong with this error? Are there any other jar libraries that I need to configure in my CLASSPATH in order to run this command?
>
> For the first step, “Launch Solr in SolrCloud Model”, in the above link was working very well. Why the same Windows command line doesn’t work in my computer?
>
> Where is the library for org.apache.solr.util.SimplePostTool? Someone said that SimplePostTool was only used in Solr old version. Is that true?
>
> It is very hard to follow Solr command line to design Schema and indexing for Solr. Are there any GUI interface for client side to implement Solr server design?
>
> Thank you very much
>
> qizhi

Eric Pugh | Founder & CEO | OpenSource Connections, LLC | 434.466.1467 | http://www.opensourceconnections.com <http://www.opensourceconnections.com/> | My Free/Busy <http://tinyurl.com/eric-cal>
Co-Author: Apache Solr Enterprise Search Server, 3rd Ed <https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/apache-solr-enterprise-search-server-third-edition-raw>
This e-mail and all contents, including attachments, is considered to be Company Confidential unless explicitly stated otherwise, regardless of whether attachments are marked as such.