Mailing List Archive

github milestones vs. releases mystery
Hello Everyone,

I just semi-randomly noticed that https://github.com/apache/lucene/releases shows 9.6.0 as the latest release i.e. not 9.7.0 but on https://github.com/apache/lucene/milestones the 9.7.0 milestone is marked as closed, as expected.

https://github.com/apache/lucene/blob/releases/lucene/9.7.0/dev-tools/scripts/releaseWizard.yaml#L1517-L1524 looks to be the relevant section of the release wizard.

Is anyone else also surprised or puzzled by this and/or has any insights on what (if anything) to do for 9.7.0 retrospectively and 9.8.0 and others in future?

Thanks,
Christine
Re: github milestones vs. releases mystery [ In reply to ]
Making a release in github is quite easy. You can do it from the release
git tag, so it's "retroactive". (we can do it for 9.7.0 right now)

For the release wizard, the Solr Operator has a section to do this:
https://github.com/apache/solr-operator/blob/main/hack/release/wizard/releaseWizard.yaml#L1392-L1400

I'm surprised it's not in the Lucene one already, since I think Solr has it
as well. But it's easy to add nonetheless.

- Houston

Re: github milestones vs. releases mystery [ In reply to ]
Creating the github release is a step that has been missed before. I know
that I have when I was the release manager for 9.5. I think that it's not
part of the release script that we follow for a Lucene release, which needs
updating. The script does include closing the current milestone.

I just created the missing 9.7.0 release, although the release date will be
off, sadly. I will look at what needs to be done to update the release
script so that we don't miss it in the future.

Re: github milestones vs. releases mystery [ In reply to ]
I opened https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12607 to add the missing
step to the release wizard script.