the feature branch a week from now, which is Sep. 18th PST.

Best
Patrick
Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Patrick for volunteering as release manager!

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
+1 thanks Patrick!

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I also rebuilt the Java 21 Panama APIJAR files with latest RC of Java
21, no changes, so all perfect. In case of any changes I would have
recommended to rebuild the apijar files.

P.S.: For Java 22 the API of MemorySegments will be finalized and
officially released, unfortunately vector API is still in never-ending
incubation.

Uwe

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
+1 for a release soon, and thanks for volunteering, Patrick!

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Update:
Will wait https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12568 to be merged to cut
the branch

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Patrick, this PR is now merged.

On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 6:22?AM Patrick Zhai <zhai7631@gmail.com> wrote:

> Update:
> Will wait https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12568 to be merged to cut the branch
>

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2023 at 11:00?AM Michael Sokolov <msokolov@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1 for a release soon, and thanks for volunteering, Patrick!
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 2:08?AM Patrick Zhai <zhai7631@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> > It's been a while since the last release and we have quite a few good changes including new APIs, improvements and bug fixes. Should we release the 9.8?
>> >
>> > If there's no objections I volunteer to be the release manager and will cut the feature branch a week from now, which is Sep. 18th PST.
>> >
>> > Best
>> > Patrick

Adrien

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Hi all,
Here's the draft release note:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/Draft+Release+Notes+9.8

Please feel free to edit if you feel like to add anything

Best
Patrick

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Patrick. I expanded a bit on the optimization section to
highlight the sort of speedup that nightly benchmarks reported, and
moved this section first as I suspect that users would be especially
interested in these speedups.

Out of curiosity, do you know when you plan on creating a release candidate?

On Thu, Sep 21, 2023 at 7:40?AM Patrick Zhai <zhai7631@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Here's the draft release note: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/Draft+Release+Notes+9.8
>
> Please feel free to edit if you feel like to add anything
>
> Best
> Patrick
>
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 12:05?AM Adrien Grand <jpountz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Patrick, this PR is now merged.
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 6:22?AM Patrick Zhai <zhai7631@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Update:
>> > Will wait https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12568 to be merged to cut the branch

>> --
>> Adrien

Adrien

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Adrien,
I plan to start creating the RC tonight, I *think* I have finished all the
PGP key set up so
I hope it won't be too hard :)

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I also enabled Jenkins jobs for the 9.8 branch today (a bit late,
sorry). See https://jenkins.thetaphi.de for the randomized jobs.

Uwe

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Thank you Uwe!

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Patrick! I added one more bullet point for this recent commit to
make expression evaluation lazier:
https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12560. I thought the change would be
fairly minor, but in the benchmarks we run internally for Amazon's Product
Search engine, we actually saw a ~23% redline QPS improvement with this
change (and 16% avg latency reduction). Granted, we make pretty heavy use
of expressions, so mileage may vary, but other Lucene users may find nice
wins with this change (I also added a note to that PR).

Cheers,
-g

Re: Lucene 9.8 Release [ In reply to ]
Thanks Greg! It's awesome that you see such a improvement!