Mailing List Archive

First time contribution
Hi!

My name is Frederic Thevenet and I am the maintainer of a FOSS time
series browser and log viewer tool called binjr [0] which uses Lucene to
do some pretty neat things.

As part of that, I became aware of a raster nasty bug that would cause
searches made via DrillSideways miss documents that should match the
query [1].
After (a lot) of digging I believe I found the issue and therefore
submitted a PR to hopefully fix it[2].

This is my first attempt at contributing to this project and although I
did read the contribution guidelines over on github, it didn't seem to
contain much, other than opening a PR.

So I thought I'd start with a short introduction here, thinking it
wouldn't hurt :-)

Please let me know if I have missed anything, and looking forward to
getting a review on that PR.

Frederic

[0] https://github.com/binjr/binjr
[1] https://github.com/apache/lucene/issues/12211
[2] https://github.com/apache/lucene/pull/12212

Re: First time contribution [ In reply to ]
Thank you Frederic! Welcome, and it's great to e-meet you.

Debugging DrillSideways must've been great fun ;)

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: First time contribution [ In reply to ]

Re: First time contribution [ In reply to ]
Thanks Michael!

Well yeah, it did take me a couple of late night hacking sessions to get
to the bottom of this one!
The fact that all I got to show for my efforts is literally *a single
word* change, is both  disheartening and kinda brilliant at the same
time ;-)

Frederic

Re: First time contribution [ In reply to ]
Ahhh the best bugs come down to tiny fixes! It could have been worse: it
could have been a single character fix ;)

Re: First time contribution [ In reply to ]
I've said this in the PR to some degree, but wanted to also respond here:

+1 to everything Mike said. THANK YOU for the debugging, filing a super
thorough bug report and PR for a fix. DrillSideways is not the easiest
place to start with Lucene, and kudos for jumping right into it! Great to
see another active participant in Lucene (and in faceting / DrillSideways)!

Cheers,
-Greg