Mailing List Archive

[VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557)
Hi everyone!

As we had previous discussion thread [1], I propose migration to GitHub
issue from Jira.
It'd be technically possible (see [2] for details) and I think it'd be good
for the project - not only for welcoming new developers who are not
familiar with Jira, but also for improving the experiences of long-term
committers/contributors by consolidating the conversation platform.

You can see a short summary of the discussion, some stats on current Jira
issues, and a draft migration plan in [2].
Please review [2] if you haven't seen it and vote for this proposal.

The vote will be open until 2022-06-06 16:00 UTC.

[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)

Here is my +1

*IMPORTANT NOTE*
I set a local protocol for this vote.
There are 95 committers on this project [3] - the vote will be effective if
it successfully gains more than 15% of voters (>= 15) from committers
(including PMC members). This means, that although only PMC member votes
are counted for the final result, the votes from all committers are
important to make the vote result effective.

If there are less than 15 votes at 2022-06-06 16:00 UTC, I will expand the
term to 2022-06-13 16:00 UTC. If this fails to get sufficient voters after
the expanded time limit, I'll cancel this vote regardless of the result.
But why do I set such an extra bar? My fear is that if such things are
decided by the opinions of a few members, the result shouldn't yield a good
outcome for the future. It isn't my goal to just pass the vote [4].

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/78wj0vll73sct065m5jjm4z8gqb5yffk
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10557
[3] https://projects.apache.org/committee.html?lucene
[4] I'm sorry for being overly cautious, but I have never met in person or
virtually any of the committers (with a very few exceptions), therefore
cannot assess if the vote result is reliable or not unless there is certain
explicit feedback.

Tomoko
Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
Thank you Tomoko for starting the vote, although I didn't participate in
the last discussion but I'd love to see us moving towards the github issue.

So here's my +1 (committer, non-PMC)

BTW, by "the vote will be effective if it successfully gains more than 15%
of voters (>= 15) from committers", do you mean to make it successful we
need to collect 15 "+1" from committers or just 15 votes (regardless of the
opinion)?

Best
Patrick

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+0

There’s other people who have thought about this much more than I have, but
I wouldn’t want my inaction to impact the increase 15 vote threshold.

Mike Drob

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
Hello everyone,

Not sure whether this email might help you, but let me share the VIVO
community experience with this issue. We have migrated JIRA issues
available at
https://vivo-project.atlassian.net/jira/software/c/projects/VIVO/issues/
to GitHub issues available at
https://github.com/vivo-project/VIVO/issues. We used a customized
version of this project -
https://github.com/rstoyanchev/jira-to-gh-issues  (our customization is
available at https://github.com/chenejac/jira-to-gh-issues). Basically,
it is possible to migrate issues, not perfect, but majority of
information is there, and we are happy with our decision to move to
GitHub issues.

Good luck with migration.

Regards,

Dragan Ivanovic

the VIVO tech lead

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
Hi,
thank you for participating for this!

I may need to clarify the local rule I set.
"15 votes" threshold means literally 15 votes, that includes approval(+1),
disapproval(-1), and no opinion(+0).
I don't mean we need 15 approvals or 15 disapprovals to make the dicision -
it could be too high hurdle for both side I think.

I mean, I need at least "15 participants" who pay attention/take time on it
and decide to cast their valuable votes for this proposal.

Thanks,
Tomoko

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
Hello, Tomoko.

+0

Thanks for moving it toward.

--
Sincerely yours
Mikhail Khludnev
Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
So 15% is a quorum for votes.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org
http://observer.wunderwood.org/ (my blog)

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
-1 (PMC, but not a veto)

Why ? As stated earlier, I'm not confortable with depending on GitHub for
governance. As long as Lucene is an "Apache" project, I'd like Apache
governance to determine who may or may not participate, not GitHub. I'd like
Apache to determine what is and is not "acceptable behavior" from project
participants.

That being said, the reasons for migrating off of Jira are all sound and, as
an alternative, I propose that we consider moving to an Apache-hosted
instance of GitLab. We'd still get all the benefits of migrating off of Jira
but also the benefits of Apache running our infrastructure and setting our
governance. Feature-wise, GitHub and GitLab are very similar but GitLab
offers the possibility of self-hosting our instance.

Andi..

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1 Approve (PMC)

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1 Approve (PMC)

Thanks so much for doing all of the work for this Tomoko!

- Houston

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1 Approve (PMC)

I'm not worried about reliance on GitHub as it is already approved by ASF. This will lower the barrier to participation for new contributors.

- Jan

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1 from me (committer, non-PMC)

Thanks Tomoko for starting the discussion and organizing / leading this effort!

Best,
Zach

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
-1

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
-1 I think the disruption and bifurcation of where to find history is not
worth it. I also noticed a comment in the lucene issue for migration with
summaries by date range, status, affects version, etc. sub-area, exactly
the sort of thing I expect to be much more difficult to obtain from github.
What I would find interesting is a deep integration of the two systems so
that initiation and basic commenting could be handled on github, but
transmitted to Jira where full metadata and reporting/tracking could be
maintained.

--
http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)
Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1 (PMC)

I understand concerns about handing governance over to a 3rd party, but
letting that drive our decision-making here feels like optimizing for a
rare case that might never occur. I'd m,uch rather optimize for making
things easiest for contributors, and then accommodate any "Github ToS ban,
sanctions, etc." situations if and when they crop up on a case by case
basis.

Best,

Jason

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1(committer, non PMC)

Lately I kinda feel having to create the Jira, after I detailed a
contribution in the pull request, is just a boilerplate activity of copying
and pasting and tagging again.
I would be happy to reduce this burden.
I left other details in the discussion thread.

Cheers

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
Hi all,
this vote received 13 ballots in total (including +1, +0, and -1) so
far, this does not reach the quorum of 15. I'll extend the term to

This is a friendly reminder note in case you have missed it in my first post.

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
I'm sorry there was a mistake in the important date. This is the
corrected version.

======

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+0 (PMC)

While I like the simplification, I'm a little concerned by the risk of
disruption in history.

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1 (PMC)

Adrien
Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1 (PMC)

Mike

On Tue, Jun 7, 2022 at 7:57 AM Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> On Mon, May 30, 2022 at 11:40 AM Tomoko Uchida
> <tomoko.uchida.1111@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > As we had previous discussion thread [1], I propose migration to GitHub
> issue from Jira.
> > It'd be technically possible (see [2] for details) and I think it'd be
> good for the project - not only for welcoming new developers who are not
> familiar with Jira, but also for improving the experiences of long-term
> committers/contributors by consolidating the conversation platform.
> >
> > You can see a short summary of the discussion, some stats on current
> Jira issues, and a draft migration plan in [2].
> > Please review [2] if you haven't seen it and vote for this proposal.
> >
> > The vote will be open until 2022-06-06 16:00 UTC.
> >
> > [ ] +1 approve
> > [ ] +0 no opinion
> > [ ] -1 disapprove (and reason why)
> >
> > Here is my +1
> >
> > *IMPORTANT NOTE*
> > I set a local protocol for this vote.
> > There are 95 committers on this project [3] - the vote will be effective
> if it successfully gains more than 15% of voters (>= 15) from committers
> (including PMC members). This means, that although only PMC member votes
> are counted for the final result, the votes from all committers are
> important to make the vote result effective.
> >
> > If there are less than 15 votes at 2022-06-06 16:00 UTC, I will expand
> the term to 2022-06-13 16:00 UTC. If this fails to get sufficient voters
> after the expanded time limit, I'll cancel this vote regardless of the
> result.
> > But why do I set such an extra bar? My fear is that if such things are
> decided by the opinions of a few members, the result shouldn't yield a good
> outcome for the future. It isn't my goal to just pass the vote [4].
> >
> > [1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/78wj0vll73sct065m5jjm4z8gqb5yffk
> > [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10557
> > [3] https://projects.apache.org/committee.html?lucene
> > [4] I'm sorry for being overly cautious, but I have never met in person
> or virtually any of the committers (with a very few exceptions), therefore
> cannot assess if the vote result is reliable or not unless there is certain
> explicit feedback.
> >
> > Tomoko

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com
Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
+1(pmc)

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
I'm fine with either system (or both used concurrently). There is
significant research effort Tomoko did already and I support this
effort: +1 from me.

Dawid

Re: [VOTE] Migration to GitHub issue from Jira (LUCENE-10557) [ In reply to ]
Sorry I missed the first vote I think; also +1(pmc) from me. I'd be OK
with some issues (esp. closed ones) being orphaned in the old system
too.