Mailing List Archive

New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.1.0
Branch branch_9_1 has been cut and versions updated to 9.2 on stable branch.

Please observe the normal rules:

* No new features may be committed to the branch.
* Documentation patches, build patches and serious bug fixes may be
committed to the branch. However, you should submit all patches you
want to commit to Jira first to give others the chance to review
and possibly vote against the patch. Keep in mind that it is our
main intention to keep the branch as stable as possible.
* All patches that are intended for the branch should first be committed
to the unstable branch, merged into the stable branch, and then into
the current release branch.
* Normal unstable and stable branch development may continue as usual.
However, if you plan to commit a big change to the unstable branch
while the branch feature freeze is in effect, think twice: can't the
addition wait a couple more days? Merges of bug fixes into the branch
may become more difficult.
* Only Jira issues with Fix version 9.1 and priority "Blocker" will delay
a release candidate build.

I published a draft of the release notes here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/Release+Notes+9.1.
Please feel free to add or correct anything.

Note that I haven't completed the step "Add Jenkins task for the release
branch" as I had trouble following the release wizard instructions. I've
reached out over ASF Slack for input on this.

Thanks!
Julie
Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.1.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone, a quick update on the 9.1 release. I ran into some smoke
tester failures that we are almost done sorting out. Just one issue remains
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10461) -- once that's
resolved we can move forward with RC1.

Julie

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.1.0 [ In reply to ]
Hi Julie,

I'm waiting for an independent review from Uwe (or anybody else using
Windows?). Like I said, it's a relatively safe change - I've tested it
myself, but better safe than sorry.

Dawid

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.1.0 [ In reply to ]
Thank you Dawid for noticing that.
I confirmed the patch works fine for me on Windows OS (I have one,
although I don't use it for daily development).
From the next time, I'll do manual sanity checks for Windows before
cutting the release branch until we fully make sure we can rely on the
automation tests for the app.

Tomoko

Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.1.0 [ In reply to ]
Sorry for the delay.

Am 12. März 2022 06:37:06 UTC schrieb Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com>:
>Hi Julie,
>
>I'm waiting for an independent review from Uwe (or anybody else using
>Windows?). Like I said, it's a relatively safe change - I've tested it
>myself, but better safe than sorry.
>
>Dawid
>
>On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 11:51 PM Julie Tibshirani <julietibs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone, a quick update on the 9.1 release. I ran into some smoke tester failures that we are almost done sorting out. Just one issue remains (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10461) -- once that's resolved we can move forward with RC1.
>>
>> Julie
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 5:31 PM Julie Tibshirani <julietibs@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Branch branch_9_1 has been cut and versions updated to 9.2 on stable branch.
>>>
>>> Please observe the normal rules:
>>>
>>> * No new features may be committed to the branch.
>>> * Documentation patches, build patches and serious bug fixes may be
>>> committed to the branch. However, you should submit all patches you
>>> want to commit to Jira first to give others the chance to review
>>> and possibly vote against the patch. Keep in mind that it is our
>>> main intention to keep the branch as stable as possible.
>>> * All patches that are intended for the branch should first be committed
>>> to the unstable branch, merged into the stable branch, and then into
>>> the current release branch.
>>> * Normal unstable and stable branch development may continue as usual.
>>> However, if you plan to commit a big change to the unstable branch
>>> while the branch feature freeze is in effect, think twice: can't the
>>> addition wait a couple more days? Merges of bug fixes into the branch
>>> may become more difficult.
>>> * Only Jira issues with Fix version 9.1 and priority "Blocker" will delay
>>> a release candidate build.
>>>
>>> I published a draft of the release notes here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/Release+Notes+9.1. Please feel free to add or correct anything.
>>>
>>> Note that I haven't completed the step "Add Jenkins task for the release branch" as I had trouble following the release wizard instructions. I've reached out over ASF Slack for input on this.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Julie

Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de
Re: New branch and feature freeze for Lucene 9.1.0 [ In reply to ]
Thank you everyone! Apologies if I caused any time pressure with this
email, I just intended to give a status update.

Julie