Cheers,
Timothy Potter

PS ~ I volunteer to be the Release Manager ;-)

Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
+1 to a 8.10 release and cutting a branch next week

On Tue, Aug 24, 2021 at 8:02 PM Timothy Potter <thelabdude@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Looks like we have a number of nice enhancements and bug fixes in
> Lucene and Solr for 8.10.
>
> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/branch_8x/lucene/CHANGES.txt
> https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/branch_8x/solr/CHANGES.txt
>
> However, there are a few open blockers marked for Solr 8.10, see:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-15596?filter=12350839
>
> The blockers (SOLR-15596, SOLR-15412, SOLR-14593) are not assigned to
> anyone. Is anyone looking at these? If not, do they need to block the
> 8.10 release?
>
> I propose we should cut the release branch next week but that
> obviously depends on our decision around these open blockers.
>
> Cheers,
> Timothy Potter
>
> PS ~ I volunteer to be the Release Manager ;-)

Adrien
Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
Yeah +1! Lucene's first "non floating point" compliant release in a long
time?

Mike

--
Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com
Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
+1 to cutting the 8.10 branch and getting the release moving. Will be good
to get the #9981 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-9981> patch
out there. Tests seem happy for a while. Thanks for chasing these blockers.

Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
Principal Engineer - Search | Amazon
Apache Lucene PMC Member and Committer
nknize@apache.org

Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the feedback.

My plan right now is to cut the release branch for 8.10 on *Tuesday,
Sept. 7* (Monday is a US holiday). Hopefully this gives enough time
to get the remaining issues addressed.

After the release branch is cut, there should be some discussion on
any new changes coming into that branch before RC1 comes out (I
usually give a day or two after creating the release branch before
creating RC1)

May I please ask for some help with the Lucene 8.10 release notes?
I'll do the notes for Solr. Please add the notes here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LUCENE/ReleaseNote8_10

Cheers,
Tim

Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
Hi Timothy,

Heads up: I'm currently digging on this issue
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-10088> (LUCENE-10088: "too
many open files" in two failed builds, one in main, one in 8.x), and I'm
worried that maybe the root cause was backported to 8.x, i.e. maybe we have
a new file handle leak.

If so, this might be a blocker for 8.10.0 release.

I'll try to make progress today on getting to the root cause.

Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the heads up on LUCENE-10088 Mike. I'd still like to cut
the release branch today, but won't start the RC until I get word back
from you on that issue. I know this adds another backport for you but
I can do that once it lands on 8x.

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 7:18 AM Michael McCandless

Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
The release branch separate from cutting the RC used to be quite normal;
not exceptional. We should continue the practice for release stability.
It also gives clarity for those of us like me that have something ready-ish
to merge on which 8x version it should go into.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
That's the process I've been following, so not sure what your point is
David? The release branch didn't get cut last week because there were
a number of JIRAs marked as blockers for 8.10 and we needed clarity
about how to move forward from the committers involved with those
tickets. Also, I don't see the point in requiring an extra backport
even if trivial if we know some features are coming in soon. From
where I sit, any code change that hits 8.x should be releasable
immediately or it shouldn't be committed.

Tim

Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
Yes, in theory all commits to branch_8x are releasable at the time in the
minds of whoever is doing the commit/merge. Nevertheless, we humans are
very fallible and a baking period of a few days allows fix-ups and such
that ultimately improve quality a little. Of course this can delay
features a tiny bit and it's annoying to back-port to yet another branch
when there are last-minute fixes.

Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
SOLR-15555 is critical query path and appears able to currently fail up to
150 tests per run due to what looks mostly to be stats/metrics races,
though it’s hard to be sure that’s all with all the noise. Do you have an
update you can push Mike?

MRM

- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller
Re: 8.10 release soon? [ In reply to ]
OK LUCENE-10088 looks like only an exotic random test issue (thank you
Adrien for understanding what the test was doing, to hit "too many open
files"), not a blocker for 8.10.