Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
+1 to Tomas' proposal. Created SOLR-14907
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14907> to track the effort.

- Houston

Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
@Tim Potter

I tried several times to get rid of the restlet dependency & keep the
functionality as is. I failed miserably. I'm not saying this to
discourage anyone who wants to give a try. Just letting you know that
it is not as easy as it may sound

Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
@Tim

Please check ClusterAPI or ZookeeperReadAPI etc.
Recently used it in Yasa:
https://github.com/yasa-org/yasa/blob/master/yasa-solr-plugin/src/main/java/io/github/kezhenxu94/YasaHandler.java

Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
> But when I suggested porting the code that uses restlet to JAX-RS /
Jersey, Ishan said
> that wasn't necessary and is already supported with some Annotations ...
I have no idea
> what that means and need more info about what is already in place.

I was mainly referring to the @Endpoint annotations. It is available for V2
APIs today (and I think it should be fine to use for anything we build now
onwards, including managed resources V2).
It is possible to make it work with V1, but that will require some work.

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 12:50 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya <

Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
The annotation (https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/solr/core/src/java/org/apache/solr/api/EndPoint.java)
supports wild cards and templated paths

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 5:28 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya

Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
Awesome guys, thanks for the pointers ... am cooking up a PR (for master)
for this today

Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
Just want to close the loop on this restlet issue. I've removed the restlet
dependency in master (e879a52291ef7dcd0514e7419d811b6ff800bcce) but have
not backported that to 8.x yet.

I'm hesitant to backport because I had to change public function signatures
on ManagedResource, e.g.
https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/commit/e879a52291ef7dcd0514e7419d811b6ff800bcce#diff-faaf5cd2bfe038f81ca4c0cb1986b42dR355

So technically, this could break upgrades for environments with extensions
to those classes; practically speaking, I think the risk of that is low,
but not sure it is worth it? From what I understand, the restlet maven
issue was mostly affecting master / gradle builds and the ant/ivy builds in
8.x weren't affected as much?

It's an easy back-port from master to 8.x if that's what we want to do, but
wanted to raise awareness that it will break public function signatures on
classes that may have extensions in the wild ;-)

~ Tim

Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
I think we should call that out in the changes.txt and make the changes
right away.

Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
No strong opinion from me. I think the back-compat concern is minor.

Re: restlet dependencies [ In reply to ]
Ok, good enough for me, thanks for feedback David and Noble, proceeding
with the cherry-picks to 8x

Tim