Mailing List Archive

One tlog remaining after commit after upgrade to 8.6.0?
Hmm... I've upgraded a Solr instance (not a cloud one) from 7.x to
8.6.0 and the same code always produces one remaining unflushable tlog
file (external hard commit passes but tlog remains open and
unflushed).

Is there anything that's changed and that I'm missing?

Dawid

Re: One tlog remaining after commit after upgrade to 8.6.0? [ In reply to ]
Does it rotate? I.e. is there a new one after every commit?

If you have steps to repro I can take a look. I’ve also been fooled by
having ZK_HOST defined when I _think_ I’m running standalone
that’s caused some head-scratching…

Erick

Re: One tlog remaining after commit after upgrade to 8.6.0? [ In reply to ]
Hi Erick,

> Does it rotate? I.e. is there a new one after every commit?

The "last" one after bulk-import of documents doesn't. Any commit
command seems to be ignored.

> If you have steps to repro I can take a look.

It is vanilla distribution Solr. I'll see if I can provide a repro if
I can't find out what's causing it. Thanks!

D.

Re: One tlog remaining after commit after upgrade to 8.6.0? [ In reply to ]
AFAIK this is normal. They will rotate, however. Send more documents with
a commit=true, and the oldest tlog will go away. I think there's always
one tlog around, even when everything is committed. It ought to be
improved but it's not a big problem.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley

Re: One tlog remaining after commit after upgrade to 8.6.0? [ In reply to ]
Thanks David. When you index lots of data that pending tlog can be
megabytes large... if it's a one-off (no more
documents will ever be indexed) then this looks strange like hell and
takes up VM disk.

Dawid

Re: One tlog remaining after commit after upgrade to 8.6.0? [ In reply to ]
Tlogs are essential for peer sync, so just because the local commit
was successful doesn’t mean the tlog can be safely removed in
SolrCloud because some other replica can get the docs replayed
from this replica’s tlog and not have to sync the entire index.

They’re also essential to replaying the tlog if somebody, say,
did a kill -9 before a commit happened.

That said…

I question whether the current peer sync is all that useful,
since the default is to keep 100 docs for peer sync and under any
kind of significant indexing load, by the time replica1 is asked
to to peer sync, chances are that it will have long ago flushed past
100 docs and fall back to a full sync.

That said… We’ve talked about a read-only index. WDYT about some
API call like “ipromiseyouweredoneindexing” that would do something like:
1> commit with an fsync
2> purges all tlogs

Since the code can’t know that you’re done indexing you’d need some kind
of external reassurance...