Mailing List Archive

[VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP)
Dear Lucene and Solr developers!

According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
independent entities.

To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.

We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.

Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
worked out during the process if the decision passes.

Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):

[ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
[ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal

Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).

The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
and cast a vote.

Dawid

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding).

Regards,

Atri

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 13:07, Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Lucene and Solr developers!
>
> According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
> calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
> project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
> independent entities.
>
> To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
> like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
> years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
> exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
> patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
> development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.
>
> We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
> chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
> discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
> matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
> against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
> don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
> we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
> firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
> it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
> future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.
>
> Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
> make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
> committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
> worked out during the process if the decision passes.
>
> Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
>
> [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
> [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal
>
> Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
> express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
> votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).
>
> The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> and cast a vote.
>
> Dawid
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> [2]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 from me (binding)
Karl

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Thanks for suggesting this and bringing this forward to a vote, Dawid.

I'm in favor of the proposal; +1 (binding)

Best,
Christian

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Oh, here is my +1 (binding).

Dawid

RE: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

here is also my +1
I have a few objections about the process, but in general it's a good idea.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Jan Høydahl

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Alan Woodward

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 binding

Sent from a mobile device

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1, this is long overdue.

It will indeed be quite a bit of work to separate everything, but I think
the long term benefits to both projects will be massive, making that
one-time cost very much worth it.

Thanks for raising this Dawid!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

--
Steve

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)
~ David
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1 (binding)
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Andi..

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1 (binding)

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:37 AM Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Lucene and Solr developers!
>
> According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
> calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
> project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
> independent entities.
>
> To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
> like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
> years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
> exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
> patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
> development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.
>
> We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
> chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
> discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
> matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
> against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
> don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
> we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
> firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
> it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
> future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.
>
> Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
> make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
> committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
> worked out during the process if the decision passes.
>
> Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
>
> [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
> [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal
>
> Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
> express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
> votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).
>
> The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> and cast a vote.
>
> Dawid
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> [2]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Anshum Gupta
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
:
: Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
:
: [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
: [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal

-1

(non-binding)

-Hoss

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1 (committer)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
On 5/12/2020 1:36 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:
> According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
> calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
> project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
> independent entities.

+1 (pmc)

We should clarify exactly what kind of vote this is. If it is in the
"code modification" category, then a single -1 vote would be enough to
defeat the proposal. There are already some -1 votes.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
This is in the code modification category, since code will be modified as
result of this proposal.

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
I would argue against that — this is more of a project level decision with
no changes to the core code base per se — more of restructuring of it. Sort
of how a sub project becomes a TLP.

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 00:38, Ishan Chattopadhyaya <
ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is in the code modification category, since code will be modified as
> result of this proposal.
>
> On Wed, 13 May, 2020, 12:27 am Shawn Heisey, <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
>> On 5/12/2020 1:36 AM, Dawid Weiss wrote:
>> > According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
>> > calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
>> > project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
>> > independent entities.
>>
>> +1 (pmc)
>>
>> We should clarify exactly what kind of vote this is. If it is in the
>> "code modification" category, then a single -1 vote would be enough to
>> defeat the proposal. There are already some -1 votes.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shawn

>> --
Regards,

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
This is a procedural vote. Code is not affected. The future of each
project diverges from the same git commit.

Dawid

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 9:08 PM Ishan Chattopadhyaya

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
I am about to re-read the rules here but I think this is a procedural vote.

Also, considering almost all procedural changes would impact the code in
some way, I don't think anything would pass if we were to put stuff in the
"code modification" category as getting a single veto would stop all
progress.

-Anshum

--
Anshum Gupta
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Dawid,

Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
> express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
> votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).

I wanted to clarify that only PMC members cast binding votes and not
committers.

Also, community votes are as important as it would help a lot of people
also decide what is the right direction to move forward w.r.t. the
community.

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
I agree this is not a code change category vote. It’s a majority vote. -1s are not vetos.

Simon

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
I agree this is a procedural vote. Here's my +1 for the proposal.

Shai

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Koji

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 9:37 AM Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Lucene and Solr developers!
>
> According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
> calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
> project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
> independent entities.
>
> To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
> like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
> years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
> exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
> patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
> development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.
>
> We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
> chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
> discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
> matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
> against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
> don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
> we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
> firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
> it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
> future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.
>
> Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
> make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
> committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
> worked out during the process if the decision passes.
>
> Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
>
> [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
> [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal
>
> Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
> express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
> votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).
>
> The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> and cast a vote.
>
> Dawid
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> [2]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Adrien
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
> I wanted to clarify that only PMC members cast binding votes and not committers.

I thought it's up to the decision of the one who sends the vote thread
but I stand corrected, thank you Anshum.

Dawid

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Personally, I am not particularly interested in "promoting" Solr to TLP
though, agree with the idea Lucene and Solr should have separate code base,
CI infra, contribution procedure, release cycles, etc.
If this proposal is the best way to do so, +1 (non binding).

Tomoko

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1 (binding)

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1 (binding)

http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
(having not read all replies, just the message I added binding... later
replies indicate that i should have said

-1 (committer)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
++1

Regards,
Lucky Sharma

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 8:01 PM, Mark Harwood <mharwood@apache.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> On 2020/05/12 07:36:57, Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Lucene and Solr developers!
> >
> > According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
> > calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
> > project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
> > independent entities.
> >
> > To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
> > like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
> > years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
> > exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
> > patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
> > development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.
> >
> > We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
> > chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
> > discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
> > matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
> > against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
> > don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
> > we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
> > firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
> > it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
> > future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.
> >
> > Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
> > make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
> > committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
> > worked out during the process if the decision passes.
> >
> > Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
> >
> > [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
> > [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal
> >
> > Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
> > express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
> > votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).
> >
> > The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> > and cast a vote.
> >
> > Dawid
> >
> > [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> > [2]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Warm Regards,

Lucky Sharma
Contact No :+91 9821559918
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Tommaso

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Nicholas Knize, Ph.D., GISP
Geospatial Software Guy | Elasticsearch
Apache Lucene PMC Member and Committer
nknize@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Kevin Risden

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn van Groningen
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1

--
Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Lucene-Java-Developer-f564358.html

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Otis
--
http://sematext.com

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding) for Solr to become TLP (and for separating the two projects from
each other)

Regards,
Doron

--
Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Lucene-Java-Developer-f564358.html

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 1:07 PM Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Lucene and Solr developers!
>
> According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
> calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
> project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
> independent entities.
>
> To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
> like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
> years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
> exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
> patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
> development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.
>
> We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
> chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
> discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
> matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
> against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
> don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
> we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
> firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
> it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
> future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.
>
> Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
> make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
> committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
> worked out during the process if the decision passes.
>
> Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
>
> [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
> [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal
>
> Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
> express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
> votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).
>
> The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> and cast a vote.
>
> Dawid
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> [2]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
For the reasons I included in my message on the discussion thread (
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/202005.mbox/%3CCAPsCRSWds%3Dctvf837BFRXqyPxGLJ-5a%2B3hCa6HwrA8FFR5MQkA%40mail.gmail.com%3E)
I'm voting in favor of this. I hope the actual execution of it will follow
the path of a code/release split for a few versions before a more permanent
project split, but if not I think the benefits of a split will still be
seen, although perhaps down a bumpier road.

+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
I am closing this vote, thank you for participating.

46 votes have been posted: 35 from PMC members, 8 from committers and
3 from user community.

From this total 8 people voted -1 and 38 people voted +1. Vote
distribution among PMC members (binding votes):

[+1]: 31
[-1]: 4

The vote has passed. I will follow-up on the process from here on in a
separate email.

Dawid

All collected votes in a spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZmR3C2EgA57QIeJJ3ejKCTUkHdG1lqPOU29heqybkKs/edit?usp=sharing

And in plain text:

+1

PMC Ishan Chattopadhyaya (ichattopadhyaya@gmail.com)
PMC Doron Cohen (cdoronc@gmail.com)
PMC Shai Erera (serera@gmail.com)
PMC Ryan Ernst (ryan@iernst.net)
COMMITTER Jim Ferenczi (jim.ferenczi@gmail.com)
PMC Otis Gospodnetic (otis.gospodnetic@gmail.com)
PMC Dennis Gove (dpgove@gmail.com)
PMC Adrien Grand (jpountz@gmail.com)
PMC Martijn v Groningen (martijn.v.groningen@gmail.com)
PMC Mark Harwood (mharwood@apache.org)
PMC Erik Hatcher (erik.hatcher@gmail.com)
PMC Shawn Heisey (apache@elyograg.org)
PMC Jan Høydahl (jan.asf@cominvent.com)
COMMITTER Namgyu Kim (kng0828@gmail.com)
PMC Nicholas Knize (nknize@gmail.com)
PMC Shalin Shekhar Mangar (shalinmangar@gmail.com)
PMC Michael McCandless (lucene@mikemccandless.com)
PMC Christian Moen (cm@atilika.com)
-- Gora Mohanty (gora@mimirtech.com)
PMC Robert Muir (rcmuir@gmail.com)
PMC Nhat Nguyen (nhat.nguyen@elastic.co.invalid)
PMC Kevin Risden (krisden@apache.org)
PMC Steven A Rowe (sarowe@gmail.com)
PMC Uwe Schindler (uwe@thetaphi.de)
PMC Koji Sekiguchi (koji.sekiguchi@rondhuit.com)
COMMITTER Atri Sharma (atri@apache.org)
-- Lucky Sharma (goku0910@gmail.com)
PMC David Smiley (david.w.smiley@gmail.com)
COMMITTER Michael Sokolov (msokolov@gmail.com)
PMC Tommaso Teofili (tommaso.teofili@gmail.com)
PMC Varun Thacker (varun@vthacker.in)
COMMITTER Tomoko Uchida (tomoko.uchida.1111@gmail.com)
PMC Andi Vajda (osaf@ovaltofu.org)
PMC Ignacio Vera (iverase@gmail.com)
PMC Dawid Weiss (dawid.weiss@gmail.com)
PMC Simon Willnauer (simon.willnauer@gmail.com)
PMC Alan Woodward (romseygeek@gmail.com)
PMC Karl Wright (daddywri@gmail.com)

-1

PMC Joel Bernstein (joelsolr@gmail.com)
COMMITTER Mike Drob (mdrob@apache.org)
PMC Jason Gerlowski (gerlowskija@gmail.com)
PMC Anshum Gupta (anshum@anshumgupta.net)
COMMITTER Gus Heck (gus.heck@gmail.com)
COMMITTER Chris Hostetter (hossman_lucene@fucit.org)
PMC Tomás Fernández Löbbe (tomasflobbe@gmail.com)
-- Kevin Watters (kwatters@kmwllc.com)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Correction - Jim is a PMC member (apologies, Jim; you may want to
update [1]). This means the results are updated to:

Vote distribution among PMC members (binding votes):

[+1]: 32
[-1]: 4

D.

[1] https://lucene.apache.org/whoweare.html

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Dawid,

The vote began on May 12th and the initial message said it will "be active
for a week to give everyone a chance to read
and cast a vote".

The vote should remain open until at least May 19th.

- Dennis

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (committer)

Regards,
Alex.

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
> The vote began on May 12th and the initial message said it will "be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> and cast a vote".

I thought I'd sent it on Monday, which would make a week today. Time
zones will also kick in because I live in Europe... I can wait a day
more - not a problem.

D.

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Sure, I'd considered timezones before responding. The archive permalink for
the original message shows a date of "Tue, 12 May 2020 07:36:57 GMT".

https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-dev/202005.mbox/%3CCAM21Rt-PjpVYKsThzAKJbbPT3OeuVdgnVSZ3E_QEoWfpLNd0%3DQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
It is now Tuesday, May 19, 2020, 8:46 AM GMT.

A re-spin of the vote closing/ summary.

48 votes have been posted: 37 from PMC members, 8 from committers and
3 from user community.

From this total 8 people voted -1 and 40 people voted +1. Vote
distribution among PMC members (binding votes):

[+1]: 33
[-1]: 4

The vote has passed.

COMMITTER Alexandre Rafalovitch (arafalov@gmail.com)
PMC Andrzej Bia?ecki (ab@getopt.org)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

When do these projects separate into their own TLP's? What is the timeline?
Or is there documentation on the process of splitting an existing project
into two separate projects?

Best,

Marcus

Marcus Eagan
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Just catching up after a couple of weeks away here; phew there is lots
going on!

Re splitting the projects, there has been some project reorganization
(we created a new TLP in Apache), but no real change yet. I think the
idea is to get the software separated, and then people will follow
their hearts/interests. For tracking the software re-org, we have this
issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-14497