Mailing List Archive

[VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP)
Dear Lucene and Solr developers!

According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
independent entities.

To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.

We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.

Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
worked out during the process if the decision passes.

Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):

[ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
[ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal

Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).

The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
and cast a vote.

Dawid

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding).

Regards,

Atri

On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 13:07, Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Lucene and Solr developers!
>
> According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
> calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
> project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
> independent entities.
>
> To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
> like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
> years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
> exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
> patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
> development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.
>
> We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
> chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
> discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
> matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
> against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
> don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
> we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
> firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
> it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
> future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.
>
> Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
> make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
> committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
> worked out during the process if the decision passes.
>
> Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
>
> [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
> [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal
>
> Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
> express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
> votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).
>
> The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> and cast a vote.
>
> Dawid
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> [2]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Atri
Apache Concerted
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 from me (binding)
Karl

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Thanks for suggesting this and bringing this forward to a vote, Dawid.

I'm in favor of the proposal; +1 (binding)

Best,
Christian

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Oh, here is my +1 (binding).

Dawid

RE: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
Hi,

here is also my +1
I have a few objections about the process, but in general it's a good idea.

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen
https://www.thetaphi.de

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Jan Høydahl

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Alan Woodward

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 binding

Sent from a mobile device

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1, this is long overdue.

It will indeed be quite a bit of work to separate everything, but I think
the long term benefits to both projects will be massive, making that
one-time cost very much worth it.

Thanks for raising this Dawid!

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

--
Steve

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)
~ David
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1 (binding)
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Andi..

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1 (binding)

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
-1 (binding)

On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 12:37 AM Dawid Weiss <dawid.weiss@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Lucene and Solr developers!
>
> According to an earlier [DISCUSS] thread on the dev list [2], I am
> calling for a vote on the proposal to make Solr a top-level Apache
> project (TLP) and separate Lucene and Solr development into two
> independent entities.
>
> To quickly recap the reasons and consequences of such a move: it seems
> like the reasons for the initial merge of Lucene and Solr, around 10
> years ago, have been achieved. Both projects are in good shape and
> exhibit signs of independence already (mailing lists, committers,
> patch flow). There are many technical considerations that would make
> development much easier if we move Solr out into its own TLP.
>
> We discussed this issue [2] and both PMC members and committers had a
> chance to review all the pros and cons and express their views. The
> discussion showed that there are clearly different opinions on the
> matter - some people are in favor, some are neutral, others are
> against or not seeing the point of additional labor. Realistically, I
> don't think reaching 100% level consensus is going to be possible --
> we are a diverse bunch with different opinions and personalities. I
> firmly believe this is the right direction hence the decision to put
> it under the voting process. Should something take a wrong turn in the
> future (as some folks worry it may), all blame is on me.
>
> Therefore, the proposal is to separate Solr from under Lucene TLP, and
> make it a TLP on its own. The initial structure of the new PMC,
> committer base, git repositories and other managerial aspects can be
> worked out during the process if the decision passes.
>
> Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
>
> [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
> [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal
>
> Please note that anyone in the Lucene+Solr community is invited to
> express their opinion, though only Lucene+Solr committers cast binding
> votes (indicate non-binding votes in your reply, please).
>
> The vote will be active for a week to give everyone a chance to read
> and cast a vote.
>
> Dawid
>
> [1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> [2]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rfae2440264f6f874e91545b2030c98e7b7e3854ddf090f7747d338df%40%3Cdev.lucene.apache.org%3E

Anshum Gupta
Re: [VOTE] Solr to become a top-level Apache project (TLP) [ In reply to ]
:
: Please indicate one of the following (see [1] for guidelines):
:
: [ ] +1 - yes, I vote for the proposal
: [ ] -1 - no, I vote against the proposal

-1

(non-binding)

-Hoss