I'm sure this has been covered before but
I didn't see an obvious match after
searching the mailing list:

Why doesn't IndexWriter have a delete method?

And related to this is why does IndexReader have it?

Every time I use IndexReader I think of it as
an r/o view of the index, which is wrong, as it's the
only place where you can delete documents.

Re: Why doesn't IndexWriter have delete()? [ In reply to ]
Perhaps IndexWriter is badly named. It might better be called
IndexAppender. It doesn't normally touch any of the index but the list
of segments, unless it has to merge some segments, in which case it
usually only touches a small subset of the index data.

IndexReader, on the other hand, is the class that knows how to parse all
of an index and make sense of it. Deletion requires that the document
be located, which requires parsing the index, so it's an IndexReader
method. Perhaps IndexReader should be called IndexParser...

I hope that helps.

Doug