Mailing List Archive

internal documentation
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> --- Doug Cutting <cutting@lucene.com> wrote:
>>Maybe we should add another target: javadocs-internal or something.
>>That would be good encouragement to add javadoc comments to internal
>>classes.
>
> Sounds good to me.
> I think it would encourage documentation of internals (not really
> existent now) and help those who want to improve internals, develop
> additional core code, or at least understand the existing code.

I recently wrote some Lucene internal documentation for another project
I'm working on. It describes the binary format of Lucene's indexes.
This is a reference document: it doesn't try to explain why particular
file structures are used, but rather only tries to precisely define
those that are used.

I've attached this in Open Office format and as HTML. The HTML
conversion is not great, but it's readable. Perhaps I should maintain
this in HTML instead of Open Office, since it contains no diagrams...

Doug
Re: internal documentation [ In reply to ]
Doug Cutting wrote:
> I've attached this in Open Office format and as HTML. The HTML
> conversion is not great, but it's readable. Perhaps I should maintain
> this in HTML instead of Open Office, since it contains no diagrams...

For some reason the HTML conversion was dropped in the copy I received.

So here it is again.

Doug
Re: internal documentation [ In reply to ]
Doug Cutting wrote:
> For some reason the HTML conversion was dropped in the copy I received.
>
> So here it is again.

Looks like this mailing list drops HTML attachments...

This time I zipped it. We'll see if that works.

Doug
Re: internal documentation [ In reply to ]
Yummy, thanks, I've been craving for something like this.
OpenOffice works for me.

Re: internal documentation [ In reply to ]
Kinda late reply, but can we put this into cvs??