Mailing List Archive

RMI interface
Hi

I noticed that a RemoteSearchable has been developed. I was hoping that it
will coincide with what I am trying to achieve. Let me describe my scenario
briefly:

I have a cluster of JSP containers, each on different physical PCs. This
makes it hard to use lucene for each instance, as it is based on the
filesystem. Since the search feature of my application is quite small and
lucene is very fast, it would be ok to setup one instance of lucene on a
physical box. The idea was to expose the critical functions of lucene as RMI
calls, eg:
- Create index
- Remove Index

Now, all JSP containers can talk to the "Lucene Search Server" via RMI and
perform search functionalities. Does this approach sound feasible? Is anyone
currently working in this area? Are there simpler alternatives?

I was looking at the SqlDirectory class, but decided against using it
because it has not been tested sufficiently, and lucene is really developed
to work well with the file system.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Regards
Keith
Re: RMI interface [ In reply to ]
Yes, you could use RemoteSearchable for searching, but not for index
creation/removal.
Your approach should work, but if your index is so small, why bother
over the network to search it and make the search slower?
You may want to consider copying the index directory and all its files
to each of your JSP container PCs and have searches be local.

Otis

RE: RMI interface [ In reply to ]
Hi Otis

Thanks for the quick reply. Although the index may be small, they may change
quite frequently. I am trying to avoid any manual copying of files across
the cluster of servers.

So far, you seem to agree with my approach. That's a good sanity check. =)

Now, in order to achieve that, would IndexWriter and IndexReader be the only
classes that need to be exposed as RMI classes? I think that should be
enough to get an RMI client going. I also noticed that some of the input
parameters like Term and Document are already serializable. That's good.

I will look more closely into making IndexReader and IndexWriter into RMI
classes, but I hope someone can help me out in this process too.

Keith