I know this was kind of long, but it hope it will give you a clear picture.

Thanks in advance,

Tarek M. Nabil

Re: I need your advice [ In reply to ]
> 4- If I do participate, I have to eventually get to the core of it,
> I cannot settle for supplying documentation or that sort of stuff.

(response to the community, not just to you)

If software engineering is ever to be taken seriously as an
engineering discipline (like structural engineering, for example),
we've got to ditch the collective attitude that documentation is
something peripheral, or constitutes "settling." This is the same
mistake that societally causes us to pay teachers less than
bartenders, but as an educated bunch we shouldn't be making that
same mistake.

(Good timing, my next article on IBM's Java Zone is a rant on the thesis
Good Code && Bad Documentation == Bad Code
)

To respond to Tarek, open-source communities are largely meritocratic.
You'll be able to contribute to the "core" when (a) you've
demonstrated that you contribute worthwhile stuff, and (b) you've got
something to contribute that is useful to the community. Its pretty
simple.

Welcome!

Re: I need your advice [ In reply to ]

>(Good timing, my next article on IBM's Java Zone is a rant on the thesis
> Good Code && Bad Documentation == Bad Code
>)

+1

RE: I need your advice [ In reply to ]
Thanks Brian,

I really didn't mean or expect to get commit rights right after joining.
All I meant was to ask whether my current qualifications can after a while permit me to be an active contributor. Believe me, when you talk about lack of documentation, I do understand what you mean, cause I've suffered a lot from having to tackle code written by others without a single line of documentation or even expressive variable names.
What I really meant was, is this too complex for me to grab eventually? Are there enough resources to get me started?
Do I have to be some java guru with experience in object oriented design, patterns and UML to be of help here or can I get into it step by step?
I hope you understand that I'm not trying to impose on the project here, I'm only seeking knowledge.

Thanks :)

Tarek Nabil

Re: I need your advice [ In reply to ]
> All I meant was to ask whether my current qualifications can after a
> while permit me to be an active contributor.

I don't see any reason why not. Enthusiasm and interest is probably
the most important qualification for contributing (assuming you are a
competent programmer.)

Lucene is a great project because the architecture is so clean and
simple, its easy to understand immediately.

There are a bunch of new subprojects going on in this group --
crawlers, indexing of various file types (Word, PDF, HTML/XML, etc)
which I'm sure could use contributions.

RE: I need your advice [ In reply to ]
Thanks Brian,

I'm looking forward to that. So, what's the starting point? Are there are any documents I can read?

Re: I need your advice [ In reply to ]
If you like to get some insight on the LARM crawler, feel free to read
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/webcr
awler-LARM/doc/webcrawler_tech_overview.pdf
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/webcr
awler-LARM/CHANGES.txt
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/webcr
awler-LARM/README.txt
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/webcr
awler-LARM/TODO.txt

These two threads on the lucene-dev list are especially important, as they
contain thoughts about the future directions of the crawler, as well as
further explanations that might not be included in the tech_overview
document (I still owe Otis a response on one of these):
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=lucene-dev@jakarta.ap
ache.org&by=thread&from=201679
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/BrowseList?listName=lucene-dev@jakarta.ap
ache.org&by=thread&from=203151

Contact me if you have any ideas on how you could contribute to that.

Clemens