Mailing List Archive

RE: CachedSearcher
> > I want to change the way TermQuery doing scores.
>
> Could you please make a proposal to the lucene-dev list of
> which methods and
> classes should be made public or protected or non-final, and
> what documentation
> should be added?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug

1. all package-protected abstract method of Searcher should be made to protected abstract

2. public final class IndexWriter --> public class IndexWriter
public final synchronized void close() --> public synchronized void close()
and other methods

to be able to create a ManagedIndexWriter or CachedIndexWriter (something similar to CachedSearcher; when its closed method is called it notifies a manager that wakes up the waiting threads)

3. make IndexReader not final

peter

Re: CachedSearcher [ In reply to ]
Halácsy Péter wrote:
>>Could you please make a proposal to the lucene-dev list of
>>which methods and
>>classes should be made public or protected or non-final, and
>>what documentation
>>should be added?
>
> 1. all package-protected abstract method of Searcher should be made to protected abstract

These need documentation. And this requires making a few other classes
public, namely TopDocs and ScoreDoc. I've done all this, and more.

> 2. public final class IndexWriter --> public class IndexWriter
> public final synchronized void close() --> public synchronized void close()
> and other methods

Done.

> 3. make IndexReader not final

IndexReader is not final. It is abstract. It has no public
implementations. You can subclass it, but you must implement all of its
abstract methods.

Doug