Mailing List Archive

Dates before 1970
Hello,

It looks like DateField.timeToString method won't allow negative dates
(i.e. dates before 1.1.1970).
If one tries to index a pre-1970 date the following happens:

java.lang.RuntimeException: time too early
at org.apache.lucene.document.DateField.timeToString(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.lucene.document.DateField.dateToString(Unknown Source)

I am not the first one to encounter this error. Philip Ogren hit this
problem a long time ago:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=114911

Does anyone have a workaround?
In the above message Philip Ogren mentions only a documentation change,
but I think he also submitted a patch, which I now cannot locate.

Does anyone have this patch?

Thanks,
Otis

Re: Dates before 1970 [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Ok, I found Philip's patch here:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=116180

Am I missing something or is this patch specific to Philip's
application? I'm referring to the DATE_OFFSET value of 200 years.
Is there any way of making it more generic?
For instance, I'm dealing with dates whose values I do not know ahead
of time. Some dates that I see are 09-Jun-102 or 25-Oct-100. These
are dates returned by various broken web servers out there. These
particular dates should obviously be 09-Jun-2002 and 25-Oct-2000.

What can we do in DateField to allow indexing of dates before 1970?
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Otis

RE: Dates before 1970 [ In reply to ]
This is part of the reason I keep poking the list for better number support
(and still haven't heard a "peep" as Phil would say about them, so I am
guessing that one or the other or both of

A: It would take to much redesign to make lucene handle numbers better
B: No one else has a need for indexing numbers and doing a search of all
docs with X field <300 and > 10)

I do what Phil used to do now, so I can tell you that we ended up trashing
this patch, and doing the dates in the following fashion:

We just made them a "normal" field, but put them in the format of

YYYYMMDD

(make sure you pad with 0's if necessary - i.e. 19540203) for February
third, 1954.

This way, they sort alphabetically, so we could write our own date filter to
do a proper range query.

The built in date filter is really useless for historical information.

Daniel C. Armbrust
Medical Informatics Research
Information Services
Mayo Clinic Rochester