Mailing List Archive

new site
Hi

This is just a quick note to let you know that the New Scientist Archive is
running Lucene as our search engine. All of our content is stored as XML in
an object database with Lucene sitting on top.

4 weeks from start to finish for development, and considering my developers
had never seen it before, I'm impressed. Its fast and has enough features
to keep us happy! And of course, it saved me a lot of money compared to
similar products!!

The URL is

http://archive.newscientist.com but unfortunately you need a magazine
subscription to enter but people can sign-up for a free 7 day trial.

A logo is on http://archive.newscientist.com/help.jsp and we'll stick it on
the results page once I've got my designer to get something together. You
might notice that we've taken a lot of your query syntax page for our help
text. I was struggling to rewrite it without making it harder to understand!

Next stage for us will be to change the search on www.newscientist.com to
Lucene and eventually all searching across our sites will be powered by it.

Regards
Shaun

--
Shaun Whatling