I would like be able to have the features that we are planning on having for
the next release.

So far this seems to be:

Vector Term Support
Support for Search Term Highlighting

Do people have any other functionality they are thinking of adding?

Thanks

--Peter

RE: Call for features in next release [ In reply to ]
Here are a few others:

- Better support for hits sorted by things other than score. An easy,
efficient case is to support results sorted by the order documents were
added to the index. A little harder and less efficient is support for
results sorted by an arbitrary field.

- Add ability to "boost" individual documents/fields. When a document is
indexed, a numeric "boost" value could be specified for the whole document,
and/or for individual fields. This value would be multipled into scores for
hits on this document. This would facilitate the implementation of things
like Google's pagerank.

- Add to FSDirectory the ability to specify where lock files live and to
disable the use of lock files altogether (for read-only media).

- Add some requested methods:
String[] Document.getValues(String fieldName);
String[] IndexReader.getIndexedFields();
void Token.setPositionIncrement(int);

Doug

Re: Call for features in next release [ In reply to ]
I would also add the following to the list:
- Peter Halacsy's changes to the QueryParser that, I believe, make it
possible to programmatically specify a default operator (OR or AND).

- The recenly submitted code that allows for queries such as "Microsoft
suc*" to match "Microsoft success" and "Microsoft sucks".

- Alex Murzaku contributed some code for dealing with Russian.

- A lady from Finland submitted code for handling Finnish.

I think these could/should be added to Lucene if they pass the test.

Otis

Re: Call for features in next release [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2002-05-20 at 19:19, Peter Carlson wrote:
> I would like be able to have the features that we are planning on having for
> the next release.
..snip..
> Do people have any other functionality they are thinking of adding?

It could be that this is impossible due to Lucene internals, but:

The ability to create IndexReader and IndexSearcher objects from an
FSDirectory whose files on the Real Filesystem are read only, (this
fails at the moment with Permission Denied errors).

In fact, that's more a feature request than something I plan to work on,
but given the right hints from other developers, I may be able to work
on it.

Lee.

Re: Call for features in next release [ In reply to ]
I believe 1 or 2 people have already contributed code for this, which
they had to write in order to use Lucene on a CD-ROM.
It's just a matter of digging through my Lucene folder and finding it.

Otis

Re: Call for features in next release [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

I am making a Japanese analyzer and patches for Lucene tools now. I
have already wrote a tokenizer which uses a Japanese morphological
analyzer internally because Japanese texts aren't separated by
whitespaces. I have a plan to put them to lucene sandbox, but it will
take more time to make patches for tools.