Mailing List Archive

Lucene Sandbox now official
Hi all,

The jakarta-lucene-sandbox CVS repository is now official.

Just so everyone is clear, this CVS is designed to hold contributions and
sandbox projects. Both unsupported.

Does everyone agree on that we should following this structure and naming
convention?

jakarta-lucene-sandbox/README.txt
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/LICENSE.txt
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/index.html
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/CHANGES.txt
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/CHANGES.txt
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/build/build.xml
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/docs/...
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/src/...
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/xdocs/about[contribution
].xml
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/build.xml
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/readme.txt
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/src/...
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/docs/...
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/xdocs/...
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/build.xml
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/README.txt
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/CHANGES.txt
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/LICENSE.txt

Where [contribution] is the name of the contribution
[project] is the name of the subproject in the sandbox area.
The contribution/build directory contains a build.xml which run all
contributions build scripts.
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/docs/... Would contain all created html
files from the each contributions xdocs/about[contribution].xml

I'll create the base files when we get buy off.

The distinction between a contribution and a project is a little fuzzy, but
projects would be for functionality outside the scope of Lucene's current
API, where contributions would be able to be integrated into the current API
(i.e. Analyzers, queryParsers, ...).

Please provide feedback so we can finalize this.

Thanks for everyone's input and patience.

Thanks to Brian for recommending the new CVS. I think it will be great to
get some more Lucene contributors more directly involved if they are
willing.

--Peter

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
Peter Carlson wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>The distinction between a contribution and a project is a little fuzzy, but
>projects would be for functionality outside the scope of Lucene's current
>API, where contributions would be able to be integrated into the current API
>(i.e. Analyzers, queryParsers, ...).

Everything is most excellent! I would just suggest a different
destinction between the projects and contributions. To my mind, a
contribution is something that people want to make available to the
community. It is not more than a zip file and some documentation. On the
other hand, projects would represent active development efforts by the
community. There would be source code, builds, releases, etc.. Over
time, projects can either become part of Lucene (and thus be blessed
into a "supported feature" status), or they will lose relevance and stop
building after a while, at which point they can be moved to the
contribution area/status until their day arrives once more.

The main goals of this would be to keep active development separate from
"canned" contributions. Would this be helpful? When I started writing
this, I thought so, but now I'm not that sure. Does anyone have
experience with this kind of structure?

>Please provide feedback so we can finalize this.
>
>Thanks for everyone's input and patience.
>
>Thanks to Brian for recommending the new CVS. I think it will be great to
>get some more Lucene contributors more directly involved if they are
>willing.

Yes! Thanks to Brian! I think most of us did not realize how easy it was
to get a new repository on Jakarta and just assumed that it would be a
huge headache.

Dmitry.

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
How will committers to this new repository be selected?

I would like to have commit access to contribute my Lucene indexing Ant task
as well as possibly a webapp that interfaces with an index. And I would, of
course, maintain as best I could.

Erik

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
Peter,

> Does everyone agree on that we should following this structure and
> naming convention?
>

> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/README.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/LICENSE.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/index.html
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/CHANGES.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/CHANGES.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/build/build.xml
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/docs/...
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/src/...

Not all contributions may include source.
I imagine some contributions will come as an archive of .class files,
too.

jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/xdocs/about[contribution
> ].xml

How about: about-[contribution].xml, it's a little easier to read.

> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/build.xml

Not all contributions will have sources, so some may not need this.

> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/[contribution]/readme.txt

How about README.txt, it's more common.

> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/src/...
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/docs/...
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/xdocs/...
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/build.xml
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/README.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/CHANGES.txt
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/LICENSE.txt
>
> Where [contribution] is the name of the contribution
> [project] is the name of the subproject in the sandbox area.
> The contribution/build directory contains a build.xml which run all
> contributions build scripts.
> jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/docs/... Would contain all
> created html
> files from the each contributions xdocs/about[contribution].xml
>
> I'll create the base files when we get buy off.
>
> The distinction between a contribution and a project is a little
> fuzzy, but
> projects would be for functionality outside the scope of Lucene's
> current
> API, where contributions would be able to be integrated into the
> current API
> (i.e. Analyzers, queryParsers, ...).

I may be misunderstanding this.
I'd imagine contributions to be code (source or binaries or...) that
various people provide, which we then either provide as is, or use bits
and pieces of to refactor in specific projects.
These projects then eventually become a part of Lucene (not core, but
applications/extensions).
The crawler+indexer may be one such project, and it may get its pieces
from various people's contributions.

> Please provide feedback so we can finalize this.
>
> Thanks for everyone's input and patience.
>
> Thanks to Brian for recommending the new CVS. I think it will be
> great to
> get some more Lucene contributors more directly involved if they are
> willing.
>
> --Peter

Otis

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
I'd like access please to begin work on the application extensions. I
am a Lucene committer.

Peter: As far as "contribution" versus "project" - thats some weird
logic in distinguishing the two. Anyhow, a discussion on the semantics
would be very boring for me.

The application extensions are intended to be integrated back into the
main lucene trunk once they are refactored/stable. Let me know what to
qualify that as according to the seemingly decided upon semantics and
where we should put this. Once the application extensions are complete
as we previously discussed some months ago, we'll reintegrate them into
the main CVS trunk. They'll be jar'd seperately from the core API so
that those merely using the core API don't have to use the extensions.

-Andy

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
+1

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
I was thinking that the contributions in the sandbox area would be source
contributions under the APL license. Other contributions that are basically
references can still be added through the contributions page.

I guess want I am not thinking the contributions area is just a hodge podge
of unorganized stuff. It is structured repackaged (org.apache.lucene)
contributions from contributors who are taking ownership. There may be some
exceptions to the organization if the contributions are not related to
lucene functionality directly (i.e. Erik Hatcher's indexing ant task). Again
this does not stop us from adding other's contributions (binaries,
non-repackaged) to the contributions area.

Thoughts?

I agree with your naming convention changes.

Thanks

--Peter

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
Okay...so where do I put the app extensions?

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 22:38, Peter Carlson wrote:

> [...]
> >> current
> >> API, where contributions would be able to be integrated into the
> >> current API
> >> (i.e. Analyzers, queryParsers, ...).
> >
> > I may be misunderstanding this.
> > I'd imagine contributions to be code (source or binaries or...) that
> > various people provide, which we then either provide as is, or use bits
> > and pieces of to refactor in specific projects.
> > These projects then eventually become a part of Lucene (not core, but
> > applications/extensions).
> > The crawler+indexer may be one such project, and it may get its pieces
> > from various people's contributions.
> >
> >> Please provide feedback so we can finalize this.
> >>
> >> Thanks for everyone's input and patience.
> >>
> >> Thanks to Brian for recommending the new CVS. I think it will be
> >> great to
> >> get some more Lucene contributors more directly involved if they are

http://www.superlinksoftware.com
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - port of Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound
Document
format to java
- fix java generics!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
What is your example?

If it is a Lucene application extension, then I would suggest the
contributions area if the source is available. For example, if there was a
Russian Analyzer then I would suggest adding that to the contributions area.

If you are talking about a separate jar that is being used by the
contribution, AND it fell under the APL license (or a compatible license to
distribute), then I could see the contribution having a lib directory.

I'm sure I'm missing something.

--Peter

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
I think Oliver wants something more concrete:

jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/src/...
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/docs/...
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/xdocs/...
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/build.xml
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/README.txt
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/CHANGES.txt
jakarta-lucene-sandbox/projects/[project]/LICENSE.txt

Replace '[package]' with 'crawler' or something appropriate.

Otis

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
Hm, I thought we already covered this.

I think contributions will fall in at least 2 categories:
1. Contributions whose home is Lucene Sandbox repository
2. Contributions whose home is elsewhere, and that are just dumped in
Lucene Sandbox in order to:
a) keep them in one place and allow Lucene users to find all
Lucene-related applications easily and in one place instead of doing
web searches, or mailing list archive searches, etc.
b) ensure that a copy of the contributed software is preserved, even
if the original contributor's site becomes a part of history or
something such.
c) develop them further, merge them, learn from them, etc. and
create new applications out of them. That's the contribution to
project metamorphosis, as I understand it.
d) maybe something else that I can't think of right now.

My opinion is that if we choose to repackage contributions to fit into
our contributions package tree, we will run into problems when
contributors want to provide a new version of their code, if they do
not fall under case 1 above. As they will continue to develop code
under their own package tree, on their own machines, maybe under their
own CVS, etc., they will not necessarily want to change their code to
fit Jakarta/Lucene package structure and when they fix bugs or release
new version we'll have a tough time merging the two code bases.
I wouldn't want to do that :).

If contributors choose the 1. route then they can restructure the code,
so that it fits the new environment. I think then they may have to
switch to APL, as well, but I don't know much about licensing side of
things.
I think this would be the desired route, as that would ensure that the
code in this repository is more up to date, et cetera.

This is just what I think. I hope this doesn't cause long discussions
:)
My 0.02 Reals.

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
Thanks. This may sound snide but.... The issue is I don't understand
the "contrib" versus jiff versus whatever naming of stuff (its different
from other projects). I also happen to not really care, just wanted an
"okay put it here" accoding to whomever's conceptualization (someone who
cares) of this since I have none.

-Andy

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
Andrew,

I think we have finialized the naming convention.

Go ahead an great your new project under the following naming convention.

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
Hi,

The only concern I have is if we house and distribute the source, I don't
know what the legal issues are if it not under an APL license.
This issue has come up many times on this list, with Junit and JavaCC.

These binaries had to have special permission or be validated under the
license to be part of the lucene CVS.
I think all contributions need to be source contributions under APL or go to
the contributions area of the web page.

As far as changing their packaging, I just think it would be nicer, but I'm
flexible.

Also, from your email I didn't understand your opinion of the desire route.
#1 or #2.

Let's see if we can finalize this today. I'll also send an email to
jakarta-general to find out if there are any legal issues.

Thanks

--Peter

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
So, just so I do it right the first time I want to clarify. I have the Ant
task wrapper to build a Lucene index that I'd like to put in the sandbox.
Is this a "project", rather than a contribution? Shall we just make an
"ant" project where we can put all Lucene-Ant stuff?

One of the things my Ant task abstracts is a DocumentHandler interface in
which you simply ask it for a Document and get one back. This overlaps (and
is probably not nearly rich enough for general Lucene usage) with what
others are doing probably. Once I know what directory structure to put my
stuff into I'll get it in there for evaluation and then we can rework how
the document handler stuff works as others contribute and it evolves.

Erik

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 10:02, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> So, just so I do it right the first time I want to clarify. I have the Ant
> task wrapper to build a Lucene index that I'd like to put in the sandbox.
> Is this a "project", rather than a contribution? Shall we just make an
> "ant" project where we can put all Lucene-Ant stuff?

put it wherever you like...make it build pretty. Perhaps we should use
centipede in order to break the structure up into nice pieces. Ken's
offered (in the past) to set it up if we want.
http://www.krysalis.org/centipede/index.html

> One of the things my Ant task abstracts is a DocumentHandler interface in
> which you simply ask it for a Document and get one back. This overlaps (and
> is probably not nearly rich enough for general Lucene usage) with what
> others are doing probably. Once I know what directory structure to put my
> stuff into I'll get it in there for evaluation and then we can rework how
> the document handler stuff works as others contribute and it evolves.

+1 -- do it.

Re: Lucene Sandbox now official [ In reply to ]
--- Erik Hatcher <lists@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> So, just so I do it right the first time I want to clarify. I have
> the Ant
> task wrapper to build a Lucene index that I'd like to put in the
> sandbox.
> Is this a "project", rather than a contribution? Shall we just make
> an
> "ant" project where we can put all Lucene-Ant stuff?

Sounds good to me, go for it.

Otis