From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver@apache.org>
To: "Lucene Users List" <lucene-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 7:53 AM
Subject: Re: Web demo example: Errors from Tomcat startup

> Hey Don,
>
> My earlier correction was only half right. I read it over again, walked
> through it and corrected it. The error you got below was because you
> left off the directory at the end (in the instructions it was "..")..
> I've clarified the instructions and corrected them... Thanks for
> reporting these documentation bugs ;-).
>
> -Andy
>
> On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 10:25, Don Gilchrest - Sun Microsystems wrote:
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > Thanks for clarifying the demo instructions!
> >
> > Now, what about the NPE that Ken Munro cited (included below)? I'm
> > encountering this too:
> >
> > dpg% cd $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps/
> > dpg% java -verbose org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create -index
> > /opt/lucene/index
> > [Loaded java.io.RandomAccessFile from
/usr/local/j2sdk1_3_1_02/jre/lib/rt.jar]
> > caught a class java.lang.NullPointerException
> > with message: null
> >
> > Could that be related to the NPE problem discussed in the "PhraseQuery:
> > NullPointerException" thread, for which Ian offered a possible
> > solution, included here:
> >
> > > Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 12:08:25 +0000
> > > From: Ian Lea <ian.lea@blackwell.co.uk>
> > > Subject: Re: PhraseQuery: NullPointerException
> > > 1.2-rc3 seems to generate NPE if one or more of the words in
> > > the search phrase are not present in the index.
> > > Works as expected, no NPE, with 1.2-rc2.
> > >
> > > If change method seek() in
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentTermPositions from

> > > final void seek(TermInfo ti) throws IOException {
> > > super.seek(ti);
> > > proxStream.seek(ti.proxPointer);
> > > }

> > > final void seek(TermInfo ti) throws IOException {
> > > super.seek(ti);
> > > if (ti != null) {
> > > proxStream.seek(ti.proxPointer);
> > > }
> > > }
> > >
> > > the NPE goes away. But I don't know what is going on here so
> > > this may well not be the correct solution.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ian.
> > > ian.lea@blackwell.co.uk
> >
> > Thanks again for your help with this.
> >
> > -don
> >
> > > Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:29:16 -0400
> > > From: Ken Munro <ken@mainsail.ca>
> > > When I run "java org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create -index
> > /opt/lucene/index",
> > > I get a null pointer exception (using either JDK 1.2 or 1.3). I am
running Red
> > Hat 7.1,
> > > with the Sun JDKs.
> > >
> > > I set up this script to run it:
> > > #!/bin/bash
> > > /usr/java/jdk1.3.1_02/bin/java -verbose -cp

/usr/java/lucene-1.2-rc3-bin/lucene-1.2-rc3.jar:/usr/java/lucene-1.2-rc3-bin
/luc
> > ene-demos-1.2-rc3.jar org.apache.lucene.demo.IndexHTML -create -index
> > /opt/lucene/index
> > >
> > > And here is the (verbose--hope its not too much) output:
> > > [Loaded java.io.RandomAccessFile from
/usr/java/jdk1.3.1_02/jre/lib/rt.jar]

Re: Web demo example: Errors from Tomcat startup [ In reply to ]
I have no objection provided that:

1. Everything be kept simple enough for someone who is just getting
started to follow. Don't forget that the getting started guide and
instructions assume you're using a pre-built lucene or know how to build
it.

2. You update the getting started guide to reflect the changes you
make. (though we might not want to update the website since the
production version will be different) -- (If you don't then I will but
I'd rather the person who makes the change update the docs so that they
are accurate and not my fuzzy understanding)..

Re: Web demo example: Errors from Tomcat startup [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2002-02-09 at 09:25, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> [...]

cool. So these would be additional targets?

> The demo of having someone manually index their web directories is cool too
> though as it gives closer-to-home feedback, whereas searching the Lucene
> documentation for newbies would not be all that exciting - but probably
> helpful! :)

Yes, we probably want to maintain that experience.

> > 2. You update the getting started guide to reflect the changes you
> > make. (though we might not want to update the website since the
> > production version will be different) -- (If you don't then I will but
> > I'd rather the person who makes the change update the docs so that they
> > are accurate and not my fuzzy understanding)..
>
> Ok, give me a few days to get things together and put into my local Lucene
> codebase, and then I'll submit the patches.

BTW I look forward to your book. Ant rules...make sucks.

> Erik

www.superlinksoftware.com
- fix java generics!

vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: Web demo example: Errors from Tomcat startup [ In reply to ]