Mailing List Archive

Beginner question: index of Relational database?
I have a list of video files in an Excel Spreadsheet, and plan to put
it into a mySQL database.

What I want to do is then have a search mechanism to search into the
fields of the rows of the entries, and return an ordered list of
hits, so the user could then view those relevant excerpts of video.
(Later I will include audio, text, graphics, etc..)

Could I use Lucene to do this? I would have to get it to build an
index of the database elements from one (few?) of the fields of that
row, and then search that index and return something that would let
me display those entries. All of the examples and discussions I saw
were for indexing elements of a file system or web site.

Thanks for any insights or suggestions!

Gregory Guthrie

MUM Faculty Mail - FM 1068
Fairfield, IA 52557

http://www.mum.edu/~guthrie
(641)472-7773
Re: Beginner question: index of Relational database? [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 14 March 2007 04:28, Gregory Guthrie wrote:

> What I want to do is then have a search mechanism to search into the
> fields of the rows of the entries, and return an ordered list of
> hits,

See
http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-109358021acbfc89456e446740dc2bbf9049950f

Regards
Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de
Re: Beginner question: index of Relational database? [ In reply to ]
Thanks.

Any known existing examples? (I'm at the Lucene learning stage!)

Best,
Gregory

At 03:04 AM 3/14/2007, you wrote:
>On Wednesday 14 March 2007 04:28, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
>
> > What I want to do is then have a search mechanism to search into the
> > fields of the rows of the entries, and return an ordered list of
> > hits,
>
>See
>http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/LuceneFAQ#head-109358021acbfc89456e446740dc2bbf9049950f
>
>Regards
> Daniel
>
>--
>http://www.danielnaber.de

Gregory Guthrie

MUM Faculty Mail - FM 1068
Fairfield, IA 52557

http://www.mum.edu/~guthrie
(641)472-7773
Re: [OBORONA-SPAM] Re: Beginner question: index of Relational database? [ In reply to ]
Hello Gregory,

Try to use Compass: http://www.opensymphony.com/compass/

Best regards, Alexey