e.g: for query "news \" obama" here I get below error:
: Lexical error at line 1, column 13. Encountered: <EOF> after : "\" OBAMA"
. Offset which I calculated is 5.

So is it when we enter double quotes in query it considers as the end of
string and gives error at column which is equal to length of the string of
query?.

Another example for query "test123456\"99999900002493524" it will give
lexical error at column 29 but we can see that error offset is 11.

Re: Lexical error showing wrong column number. [ In reply to ]
: I am parsing query and calculating offset at which the query parsing failed.
: I am having problem with query having double quotes.
:
: e.g: for query "news \" obama" here I get below error:
: : Lexical error at line 1, column 13. Encountered: <EOF> after : "\" OBAMA"
: . Offset which I calculated is 5.
:
: So is it when we enter double quotes in query it considers as the end of
: string and gives error at column which is equal to length of the string of
: query?.

Correct.

The parsing error happens at teh end of the string when it detects the
quoted phrase is unterminated. The parser has no way of guessing if the
double-quote character at position 5 is intended to be an "end quoted
phrase" -- it must assume (as it's parsing hte string left to right) that
the string is valid and it is intended as a "begining quoted phrase" and
encounters an error when there is no "end quoted phrase" before the EOF.

As far as the parser knows, everything up to column 13 is 100% valid
syntax .. and the easiest "fix" to he string is to add '\"' at the end of
teh string.

If you instead had "xxx)yyy" the parser would be able to tell that the
')' character was out of place, and would report the error at column 3.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/
Re: Lexical error showing wrong column number. [ In reply to ]
Thanks Hoss.