Anything like features, performance.

Please, let me know what to do to make better product than Lucene.

Thank you.
Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Why not spend the effort improving Lucene?

John

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
+1 John wang

--
Saurabh
Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Actually I think competing projects is very healthy for open source development.

There are many things you could explore to "contrast" with Lucene,
e.g. write your new search engine in Go not Java: Java has many
problems, maybe Go fixes them. Go also has a low-latency garbage
collector in development ... and Java's GC options still can't scale
to the heap sizes that are practical now.

Lucene has many limitations, so your competing engine could focus on
them. E.g. the "schemalessness" of Lucene has become a big problem,
and near impossible to fix at this point, and prevents new important
features like LUCENE-5879 from being possible, so you could give your
engine a "gentle" schema from the start.

The Lucene Filter/Query situation is a mess: one should extend the other.

Lucene has weak support for proximity queries (SpanQuery is slow and
does not get much attention).

Lucene is showing its age, missing some compelling features like a
builtin transaction log, "core" support for numerics (they are sort of
hacked on top), optimistic concurrency support (sequence ids,
versions, something), distributed support (near real time replication,
etc.), multi-tenancy, an example server implementation, so the search
servers on top of Lucene have had to fill these gaps. Maybe you could
make your engine distributed from the start (Go is a great match for
that, from what little I know).

All 3 highlighter options have problems.

The analysis chain (attributes) is overly complex.

In your competing engine you can borrow/copy/steal from Lucene's good
parts to get started...

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

RE: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Thank you for a solid list of things to look into in Lucene Michael.

If the poster wants to make a better lucene, I presume he has considered the logistics and science needed; a rather daunting view imo.

RE: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Btw: SwSong should not steal code; which implies an existing license whose terms he is willing to break. Not a good first step. ;-)

will

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
To build such a big product, One would obviously attribute the license.

Sent from iPhone

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Well the Apache Software License is very generous about poaching.

"Your ideas will go further if you don't insist on going with them."

RE: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Um, doesn't the Apache license require inclusion of the license? Just sayin'

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Yes it does.

RE: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Comments inline:

===

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Yes, I borrows Lucene¡¯s source code(analysis, store, utils ) partly.

My search engine is LGPL, and of course I leaved a Apache license text header in all source codes borrowed from Lucene.

Sang Song

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Thank you for your sincere reply, Mr. McCandless.

When I posted an email in a mailing-list, I was afraid for not getting a considerable reply, but I¡¯m now so glad I might find a way.

I agree that a new search engine in Go would be competitive. I think we all need a next generation search engine core redesigned from the start.

And, I understand Lucene¡¯s limitations you mentioned. They are good points to get started.

I have been used a search engine for first 4 years and developed a search engines for last 6 years from the bottom, and I got feedback ¡°It¡¯s faster than Solr in indexing and searching¡±. (http://ddakker.tistory.com/248 <http://ddakker.tistory.com/248>)

===Result===
Data size : 529,188
Fastcat indexing time : 1m 26s
Solr3.5 indexing time : 5m 30s
Fastcat searching time : 48ms
Solr3.5 searching time : 73ms

It applied to Korea¡¯s greatest shopping service(http://danawa.com/ <http://danawa.com/>) a month ago to my delight.

But my goal has been making a globally-used open source search engine.

As you suggested, now I want to make a whole-new search engine in Go.

I have made my first search engine alone, but I would not make a new search engine alone. I want to make it with global developers together.

If you plan to make a new search engine in Go, or know someone around you, could you help me gathering members for a new search engine, and guide us technically(feature requirement, efficient design)?

Or if there is already a new search engine project in Go, could you let me know?

In Korea, no one develops a search engine except people who work at a search engine solution company, and even they are very few and do not spend time to an open source project.

In my case, I found a tiny venture company for making time to develop an open source search engine 4 year ago.

I want to be involved in a next-generation search engine project. I would be happy to make a new search engine itself.

Your little help could be great for me.

Thank you.

Sang Song

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
I¡¯m curious to see these benchmarks run on the latest Solr version, as the numbers you quoted were over two years ago. Also, it¡¯d be useful to see the indexing and searching benchmark code to make sure it takes advantage of best practices. I¡¯ve indexed 10M docs into Solr in only a few minutes. 500K, say in CSV format, for basic e-commerce product data, would likely take a minute or so. The searching differences you present seem fairly negligible - 100ms is the blink of an eye, so anything under is considered quite acceptable by the largest e-commerce vendors in the world. Along with that, perhaps an even more important benchmark is relevancy or in some way measure how good the search results are.

As Mike put so well, competition is a great thing so by all means I encourage you to carry on with your endeavor. Sounds like you¡¯ve built some powerful stuff and have extensive experience. +1

Erik

RE: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Please let me know if you go the GO route, so I can choose the language I
like best for my work. Wmartinusa at google online mail.

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Do you mean you want to make a new search engine with me in Go?
I don't understand what you mean exactly..

2014년 11월 16일 일요일, Will Martin<wmartinusa@gmail.com>님이 작성한 메시지:

RE: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
I don't know what I think about an engine in Go.

:-(

RE: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Actually I'm more interested in the list Mike wrote about lucene.

RE: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/2480362.2480533

--
Saurabh
Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
What about Rust?

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> The analysis chain (attributes) is overly complex.

If you were to start from scratch, what would the analysis chain look like?

Marvin Humphrey
Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Erik,

Can you pleas answer my question in SOLR list?
I appreciate your help

I have several field types and like to assign correct boosting so that I
will get results in correct order.
Here is a summary of what I have:
1- Product Title - text field , Boost = 160
2- Product Description - text field , Boost = 80
3-Number of clicks - Integer field, having value [1 TO 1000] , Boost = 40
4- Product Features - text field , Boost = 20
5- AmountPurchased - Float field , Boost = 10
5- Product Properties - text field , Boost = 5

User will make a search q= "foo bar" and we expect solr will return results
based on Boost values assigned above. qf and pf can help me to assign
boosting for text fields easily. But I am having difficulty to mix text
fields with numeric ones. For example, I want product with Number of clicks
= 20 should be listed higher than one with 10 clicks after 1) and 2).

I guess solr, based on search results, will re order based boost values in
text fields but I want product with number of clicks 10 will be higher than
with clicks 5. As result, any products having clicks will have higher ranks
that products that has features that includes search keywords.

I hope I have explained correctly,

Can you please guide me on how to solve this issue?

Regards

Erol Akarsu
Remove Ads
<http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=buy_credits_page>

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 3:22 AM, Michael McCandless
> <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>
>> The analysis chain (attributes) is overly complex.
>
> If you were to start from scratch, what would the analysis chain look like?

Hi Marvin, long time no talk! I like the new Go bindings for Lucy!

Here are some things that bug me about Lucene's analysis APIs:
Lucene's Attributes have separate interface from impl, with default
impls, and this causes complex code in oal.util.Attribute*. It seems
like overkill. Seems like we should just have concrete core impls for
the atts Lucene knows how to index.

There are 5 java source files in that package related to attributes
(Attribute.java AttributeFactory.java AttributeImpl.java
AttributeReflector.java AttributeSource.java): too much.

There should not be a global AttributeFactory that owns all attrs
throughout the pipeline: that's too global. Rather, each stage should
be free to control what the next stages sees (LUCENE-2450) ... the
namespace should be private to that stage, and each stage can
delete/add/replace the incoming bindings it saw. This may seem more
complex but I think it'd be simpler in the end? And, the first stage
should not have to be responsible for clearing things that later
stages had inserted: common source of bugs for that first Tokenizer to
not call clearAttributes.

Reuse of token streams was an "afterthought" that took a long time to
work its way down to simpler APIs, but now we ReuseStrategy,
AnalyzerWrapper, DelegatingAnalzyerWrapper.

Custom analyzers can't be (easily?) serialized, so ES and Solr have
their own layers to parse a custom chain from JSON/XML. Those layers
could do better error checking...

Can we do something better with offsets, such that TokenFilters (not
just Tokenizers/CharReaders) would also be able to set correct
offsets?

The stuffing of things into "analysis" that really should have been a
"gentle schema" is annoying: KeywordAnalyzer, Numeric*.

Token filters that want to create graphs are nearly impossible. E.g
you cannot put a WDF in front of SynonymFilter today because
SynonymFilter can't handle an incoming graph (LUCENE-5012).

Deleted tokens should still be present, just "marked" as deleted (so
IW doesn't index them). This would make it possible (to Rob's horror)
for tokenizers to preserve every single character they saw, but things
that are not tokens (punctuation, whitespace) are marked deleted.
Maybe this makes it possible for all stages to work with offsets
properly?

There is probably more, and probably lots of people disagree that
these are even "problems" :)

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
Big challenge I would think. Bear in mind that Lucene is in active
development for 17 years now. It has a fast community and almost everything
has been optimised and rewritten during the last decade so if you can't
beat Lucene, join the community and start optimising.

Regards,

Evert

Evert Wagenaar

Re: How can I make better project than Lucene? [ In reply to ]
As a starter of this mail threads, thank you for all responses.

From the Mike¡¯s lists of current Lucene¡¯s limitations, many others could know where Lucene might go.

I think Lucene¡¯s v5 already has solved some of that limitations and will solve them mostly in the near future in consideration of roadmaps and conversations on mailing lists.

I love Lucene.

I attached benchmark results, and I agree with what Erik said.

It¡¯s a long time ago benchmarks, and I have no code because one person had done a test by himself internally.

I know it cannot be an official test result, I just share you my search engine¡¯s possibility.

I have thought a lot nowadays about my search engine¡¯s position in the open source search engine area.

It¡¯s hard for my search engine to compete with Lucene, because I develop my search engine with a few people while Lucene does with many committers and contributers.

As many people responded me, it¡¯s a fast and efficient way to join Lucene¡¯s community and improve it to get to the goal making a great search engine.

So, I¡¯ll join Lucene¡¯s community and contribute to Lucene along with developing my search engine.

I hope Lucene will be a more powerful search engine, and I will spend the effort improving it.

Sang Song