Mailing List Archive

Antw: Re: Q: Avoid resource restart after configuration change
<6DA1E43B-B83A-4441-9FB0-88BFE409DDD9@beekhof.net>:

>> On 1 Dec 2014, at 7:46 pm, Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'd like to change a resource's configuration, but don't want a restart of
> the resource. That is, I want the configuration to be effective the next time
> the resource is started.
>>
>> I know in general it doesn't make sense, but for cLVM it does: Per default
> debug logging is on and it floods the syslog with junk.
>> If I want to turn off debug logging, I'll have to pass an extra parameter to
> clvmd, or I could do "clvmd -d0 -C" to fix the problem until next resource
> start.
>>
>> As cLVMd is clones to all nodes in the cluster, a configuration change would
> effectively halt the whole cluster (all users of cLVM). I want to avoid that.
> As you can see, I can change the running resources, and I can configure the
> resources to be fine next time they restart.
>>
>> So all I need is way to prevent a restart of clvmd when changing its
> resource configuration.
>
> You could make it in a scratch copy of the cib, note the new digests in the
> status section and include those in your update.

Could you provide some more details, please?

> Alternatively, use maintenance-mode and crm_resource -C

I don't understand: in maintenance mode I cannot start/stop anything, right? So the changes to the CIB will just be delayed until management mode is off again, right? What is the role of "crm_resource -C"? Does "cleanup" make CRM forget that it has to restart resources when the management mode is turned off again?

Regards,
Ulrich

Re: Antw: Re: Q: Avoid resource restart after configuration change [ In reply to ]

> <6DA1E43B-B83A-4441-9FB0-88BFE409DDD9@beekhof.net>:
>
>>> On 1 Dec 2014, at 7:46 pm, Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'd like to change a resource's configuration, but don't want a restart of
>> the resource. That is, I want the configuration to be effective the next time
>> the resource is started.
>>>
>>> I know in general it doesn't make sense, but for cLVM it does: Per default
>> debug logging is on and it floods the syslog with junk.
>>> If I want to turn off debug logging, I'll have to pass an extra parameter to
>> clvmd, or I could do "clvmd -d0 -C" to fix the problem until next resource
>> start.
>>>
>>> As cLVMd is clones to all nodes in the cluster, a configuration change would
>> effectively halt the whole cluster (all users of cLVM). I want to avoid that.
>> As you can see, I can change the running resources, and I can configure the
>> resources to be fine next time they restart.
>>>
>>> So all I need is way to prevent a restart of clvmd when changing its
>> resource configuration.
>>
>> You could make it in a scratch copy of the cib, note the new digests in the
>> status section and include those in your update.
>
> Could you provide some more details, please?

cibadmin -Q > old.xml
cibadmin -Q > new.xml

CIB_file=new.xml cibadmin -M --xml-text '<whatever you want to change/>'

crm_simulate -SX new.xml

compare old.xml to new.xml looking for new values for <op restart-digest=.../> and <op reload-digest=.../>

now change the real cluster and include changes to restart-digest and reload-digest

>> Alternatively, use maintenance-mode and crm_resource -C
>
> I don't understand: in maintenance mode I cannot start/stop anything, right?

You don't need to. Just make the change, then use crm_resource -C to erase the status section, the probes will run with the new set of parameters.
At that point, it should be safe to turn maintenance mode off again.