The manual page just says:
-d, --delay=value
The time to wait (dampening) in seconds further changes occur

Who is waiting? What changes?

Please explain!
(pacemaker-1.1.10-0.15.25 of SLES11 SP3)

Regards,
Ulrich

Re: Q: dampening explained? [ In reply to ]
On 8 Sep 2014, at 5:19 pm, Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I remember having asked this before, but I'l still missing a good explanation:
>
> What are the precise semantics of "dampening" (attrd_updater -d)?
>
> The manual page just says:
> -d, --delay=value
> The time to wait (dampening) in seconds further changes occur
>
> Who is waiting?

attrd before it updates the cib

> What changes?

other processes or nodes calling attrd_updater

Re: Q: dampening explained? [ In reply to ]
As an example, if you're pinging two nodes, and both go away, they
almost certainly won't go appear to go away at the exactly same time -
because of the timing of when the pings occurred. In addition other
machines have similar issues and are even more decoupled from each
other. So, in effect it may take a while for things to "settle down"
into the final state.

What you don't want to do is start to move resources, then discover that
they didn't need to move at all, or that you're moving them to the wrong
place -- when if you'd just waited a little bit for the "dust to settle"
you would have done something much more efficiently - or perhaps nothing
at all.