Mailing List Archive

stonith external/riloe
Hi,

trying to set up STONITH with my HP DL380 g6 server.

I am using Xenserver 6.2 ..

After failing trying "external/libvirt" (no idea HOW to do this, installing libvirt on xenserverhost (dom0) seems not to be easy) I tried external/riloe.
When anybody can explain me how to use libvirt /STONITH on xenserver 6.2, that would be great.

With riloe there is a little success.. when executing

"stonith -t external/riloe hostlist=visn2 ilo_hostname=10.23.3.103 ilo_user=Administrator ilo_password=somePW ilo_can_reset=1 ilo_protocol=1.2 ilo_powerdown_method=button -S -T off visn2"

->
info: external/riloe device OK.

What seems to be fine. But the server isnt changing state at all. Trying to find any documentation about "hostlist", I have no idea what it should be, "visn2" is my DomU Name (vm) on my Xenserver.. ofcourse the HP Server has no idea what nodes running on xenserver...
But what does external/riloe expect in "hostname" ? To be sure, you CAN (forcefully) shutdown the HP server with STONITH and Ilo2, or?

Any comments are really appreciated.

Thank you!

Regards,
Matthias

Re: stonith external/riloe [ In reply to ]
>I am using Xenserver 6.2 ..
>
>After failing trying "external/libvirt" (no idea HOW to do this, installing libvirt on xenserverhost (dom0) seems not to be easy) I tried external/riloe.
>When anybody can explain me how to use libvirt /STONITH on xenserver 6.2, that would be great.

Installation of libvirt on XenServer may be tricky as Xenserver has own toolstack, xapi. Not sure if you can have both in the same time. And even if you would have them both, not sure if libvirt will be working at all?

Xenserver has own HA, why don't you use it instead?

Radek.

Re: stonith external/riloe [ In reply to ]
On 12/06/14 10:43 AM, Radek Smigielski wrote:
>> I am using Xenserver 6.2 ..
>>
>> After failing trying "external/libvirt" (no idea HOW to do this, installing libvirt on xenserverhost (dom0) seems not to be easy) I tried external/riloe.
>> When anybody can explain me how to use libvirt /STONITH on xenserver 6.2, that would be great.
>

> Installation of libvirt on XenServer may be tricky as Xenserver has own toolstack, xapi. Not sure if you can have both in the same time. And even if you would have them both, not sure if libvirt will be working at all?
>
> Xenserver has own HA, why don't you use it instead?
>

> Radek.

I'm pretty sure libvirtd speaks Xen just fine. Haven't tested it myself
though, but I see Xen referenced often in the man pages.

--
Digimer
access to education?
Re: stonith external/riloe [ In reply to ]
> On Thursday, 12 June 2014, 17:33:42, Digimer <lists@alteeve.ca> wrote:

> > On 12/06/14 10:43 AM, Radek Smigielski wrote:
>
>>> I am using Xenserver 6.2 ..
>>>
>>> After failing trying "external/libvirt" (no idea HOW to do
> this, installing libvirt on xenserverhost (dom0) seems not to be easy) I tried
> external/riloe.
>>> When anybody can explain me how to use libvirt /STONITH on xenserver
> 6.2, that would be great.
>>

>> Installation of libvirt on XenServer may be tricky as Xenserver has own
> toolstack, xapi. Not sure if you can have both in the same time. And even if you
> would have them both, not sure if libvirt will be working at all?
>>
>> Xenserver has own HA, why don't you use it instead?
>>

>> Radek.
>
> I'm pretty sure libvirtd speaks Xen just fine. Haven't tested it myself
> though, but I see Xen referenced often in the man pages.
>
> --

There is a difference between Xen and XenServer.
Xen is pure open source project and AFAIK, libvirt supports Xen. But XenServer is a commercial version and they use xapi toolstack. I don't know exactly what the status of libvirt on XenServer.

Radek.
Re: stonith external/riloe [ In reply to ]
On 12/06/14 12:43 PM, Radek Smigielski wrote:

>> this, installing libvirt on xenserverhost (dom0) seems not to be easy) I tried
>> external/riloe.
>> 6.2, that would be great.
>>>

>>> Installation of libvirt on XenServer may be tricky as Xenserver has own
>> toolstack, xapi. Not sure if you can have both in the same time. And even if you
>> would have them both, not sure if libvirt will be working at all?
>>>
>>> Xenserver has own HA, why don't you use it instead?
>>>

>>> Radek.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure libvirtd speaks Xen just fine. Haven't tested it myself
>> though, but I see Xen referenced often in the man pages.
>>
>> --
>

> There is a difference between Xen and XenServer.
> Xen is pure open source project and AFAIK, libvirt supports Xen. But XenServer is a commercial version and they use xapi toolstack. I don't know exactly what the status of libvirt on XenServer.
>

> Radek.

Ah, I did not realize the difference. Thanks for clarifying!

--
Digimer
access to education?