Mailing List Archive

Antw: Re: Q: fsck.ocfs anyone
"My man at Novell" knows about the issue, too ;-)

I understand that Novell does not want to read about bugs in their products in
mailinglists, just as customers don't want to see bugs in the products they are
using. Talking about them may improve the situation, while just being silent
doesn't really help any of the two.

Ulrich

>>> Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@suse.com> schrieb am 15.01.2014 um 14:51 in
Nachricht

Re: Antw: Re: Q: fsck.ocfs anyone [ In reply to ]
On 2014-01-15T15:05:02, Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:

> "My man at Novell" knows about the issue, too ;-)

%s/Novell/SUSE/g

> I understand that Novell does not want to read about bugs in their products in
> mailinglists, just as customers don't want to see bugs in the products they are
> using. Talking about them may improve the situation, while just being silent
> doesn't really help any of the two.

That's not really the issue. But that noone can really help you here.
It's like reporting a bug in SLES' (or RHEL's, for that matter) kernel
on LKML. They'll tell you to take it to your vendor.

And even if they wanted to, you're not providing enough context, not
enough configuration, etc. And OCFS2 is not the main focus on this list,
so all the OCFS2 experts read another.

And the people that could help you from SUSE won't do this here, because
- as you said - you also raise this via support. (Or maybe you don't,
because sometimes, you say it's not important enough, so we'd have to
double check.) So we use that channel to respond (us being dedicated to
the product's quality, getting paid to do so and all that); leaving the
mailing list either with a bad impression of a hanging discussion or
having to do the work/write-up twice.

The derisive style doesn't inspire a lot of motivation, either.

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA

Re: Antw: Re: Q: fsck.ocfs anyone [ In reply to ]
<20140115141619.GE30473@suse.de>:
> On 2014-01-15T15:05:02, Ulrich Windl <Ulrich.Windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
>
>> "My man at Novell" knows about the issue, too ;-)
>
> %s/Novell/SUSE/g
>
>> I understand that Novell does not want to read about bugs in their products
> in
>> mailinglists, just as customers don't want to see bugs in the products they
> are
>> using. Talking about them may improve the situation, while just being silent
>> doesn't really help any of the two.
>
> That's not really the issue. But that noone can really help you here.

That sounds quite pessimistic. Hundreds of people are willing to donate millions of dollars to me, why shouldn't they fix a bug. I need this kind of humor after a frustrating day...

> It's like reporting a bug in SLES' (or RHEL's, for that matter) kernel
> on LKML. They'll tell you to take it to your vendor.

While unlikely, it's possible that someone sees the same problem, and (thanks to GPL!) decides to fix it just for fun ;-)

> And even if they wanted to, you're not providing enough context, not
> enough configuration, etc. And OCFS2 is not the main focus on this list,
> so all the OCFS2 experts read another.

"fsck an umounted OCFS filesystem twice". How much context would one need?

> And the people that could help you from SUSE won't do this here, because
> - as you said - you also raise this via support. (Or maybe you don't,
> because sometimes, you say it's not important enough, so we'd have to
> double check.) So we use that channel to respond (us being dedicated to
> the product's quality, getting paid to do so and all that); leaving the
> mailing list either with a bad impression of a hanging discussion or
> having to do the work/write-up twice.

Software users have to be very patient and forgiving these days.

> The derisive style doesn't inspire a lot of motivation, either.

I knew you would answer ;-)

Regards,
Ulrich