Mailing List Archive

Announcing a new HA KVM tutorial!
Almost exactly two years ago, I released the first tutorial for building
an HA platform for KVM VMs. In that time, I have learned a lot, created
some tools to simplify management and refined the design to handle
corner-cases seen in the field.

Today, the culmination of that learning is summed up in the "2nd
Edition" of that tutorial, now called "AN!Cluster Tutorial 2".

https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2

These HA KVM platforms have been in production for over two years now in
facilities all over the world; Universities, municipal governments,
corporate DCs, manufacturing facilities, etc. I've gotten wonderful
feedback from users and all that real-world experience has been
integrated into this new tutorial.

As always, everything is 100% open source and free-as-in-beer!

The major changes are:

* SELinux and iptables are enabled and used.
* Numerous slight changes made to the OS and cluster stack configuration
to provide better corner-case fault handling.

* Architecture refinements;
** Redundant PSUs, UPSes and fence methods emphasized.
** Monitoring multiple UPSes added via modified apcupsd
** Detailed monitoring of LSI-based RAID controllers and drives
** Discussion on hardware considerations for VM performance based on
anticipated work loads

* Naming convention changes to support the new AN!CDB dashboard[1]
** New alert system covered with fault and notable event alerting

* Wider array of guest OSes are covered;
** Windows 7
** Windows 8
** Windows 2008 R2
** Windows 2012
** Solaris 11
** FreeBSD 9
** RHEL 6
** SLES 11

Beyond that, the formatting of the tutorial itself has been slightly
modified. I do think it is the easiest to follow tutorial I have yet
been able to produce. I am very proud of this one! :D

As always, feedback is always very much appreciated. Everything from
typos/grammar mistakes, functional problems or anything else is very
valuable. I take all the feedback I get and use it to helping make the
tutorials better.

Enjoy!

Digimer, who now can now start the next tutorial in earnest!

1. https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!CDB

--
Digimer
access to education?
Re: Announcing a new HA KVM tutorial! [ In reply to ]
> Almost exactly two years ago, I released the first tutorial for building
> an HA platform for KVM VMs. In that time, I have learned a lot, created
> some tools to simplify management and refined the design to handle
> corner-cases seen in the field.
>
> Today, the culmination of that learning is summed up in the "2nd
> Edition" of that tutorial, now called "AN!Cluster Tutorial 2".
>
> https://alteeve.ca/w/AN!Cluster_Tutorial_2
>
> These HA KVM platforms have been in production for over two years now in
> facilities all over the world; Universities, municipal governments,
> corporate DCs, manufacturing facilities, etc. I've gotten wonderful
> feedback from users and all that real-world experience has been
> integrated into this new tutorial.
>
> As always, everything is 100% open source and free-as-in-beer!
>
> The major changes are:
>
> * SELinux and iptables are enabled and used.
> * Numerous slight changes made to the OS and cluster stack configuration
> to provide better corner-case fault handling.
>
> * Architecture refinements;
> ** Redundant PSUs, UPSes and fence methods emphasized.
> ** Monitoring multiple UPSes added via modified apcupsd
> ** Detailed monitoring of LSI-based RAID controllers and drives
> ** Discussion on hardware considerations for VM performance based on
> anticipated work loads
>
> * Naming convention changes to support the new AN!CDB dashboard[1]
> ** New alert system covered with fault and notable event alerting
>
> * Wider array of guest OSes are covered;
> ** Windows 7
> ** Windows 8
> ** Windows 2008 R2
> ** Windows 2012
> ** Solaris 11
> ** FreeBSD 9
> ** RHEL 6
> ** SLES 11
>
> Beyond that, the formatting of the tutorial itself has been slightly
> modified. I do think it is the easiest to follow tutorial I have yet
> been able to produce. I am very proud of this one! :D
>
> As always, feedback is always very much appreciated. Everything from
> typos/grammar mistakes, functional problems or anything else is very
> valuable. I take all the feedback I get and use it to helping make the
> tutorials better.
>
> Enjoy!

wow, that's a seriously awesome tutorial. Excellent work :)

-- Vossel

Re: Announcing a new HA KVM tutorial! [ In reply to ]
On 07/01/14 10:50 -0500, David Vossel wrote:
> [...]

Yeah, "tutorial" is sort of understatement here.

--
Jan
Re: Announcing a new HA KVM tutorial! [ In reply to ]

:D

--
Digimer
access to education?