Mailing List Archive

best Way to build a 2 Node Cluster with cold Standby ?
Hello,

I want to build a 2 Node KVM Cluster with the folling Features:

1 Node ist the Primary Node for some Virtual Machines with Linux, and 1
Node i want to install as second KVM Server too. With the same virtual
Machines in DRBD Devices. I want to boot the second Node every 2 Weeks
to sync the Datta and then to shutdown. So i want to have in fail of the
first Node a Backup Server.

What the Best Way to do this? I think i install both Nodes with the DRBD
and switch the Primary to Master, the second Machine to the DRBD Slave.
Does the DRBD become problems when i shutdown the slave Device for so a
long time?

greetings

Hauke

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: best Way to build a 2 Node Cluster with cold Standby ? [ In reply to ]
Hi Hauke,

personally I won't use DRBD for a case like that because of the _missing_
replication here.

Imho your idea will work, but it would be easier to manage to use some kind of
file synchronisation like rsync, unison etc. when the cold standby node comes
up.

cheers,
Hauke

---
timestamp: Wednesday, December 10, 2014 09:17:31 PM
from: Hauke Homburg <hhomburg@w3-creative.de>
to: pacemaker@oss.clusterlabs.org
cc:
subject: [Pacemaker] best Way to build a 2 Node Cluster with cold Standby ?
message id: <5488AA5B.4070003@w3-creative.de>

--
Hauke Bruno Wollentin
(Infrastructure Engineer Cloud)

iNNOVO Cloud GmbH

Düsseldorfer Straße 40a

65760 Eschborn (Taunus)

Tel. 069/ 24 747 18-26

Fax. 069/ 24 747 18-1022

Mail. hauke-bruno.wollentin@innovo-cloud.de

Geschäftsführung: Dr. Sebastian Ritz, Stefan
Sickenberger

Registergericht Frankfurt a.M., HRB 95751/USt.-IdNr.: DE2870 34448
Frankfurter Volksbank eG (Blz. 501 900 00) Konto 600 200 9917
IBAN DE94501900006002009917 BIC: FFVBDEFF

Informationen (einschließlich Pflichtangaben) zu einzelnen, innerhalb der
EU tätigen Gesellschaften und Zweigniederlassungen der iNNOVO Cloud gmbH
finden Sie unter http://www.innovo-cloud.de/pflichtangaben.htm. Diese
E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/ oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen.
Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich
erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten
Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe
dieser E-Mail ist nicht gestattet.

Please refer to http://www.innovo-cloud.de for information (including
mandatory corporate particulars) on selected iNNOVO Cloud in the European
Union. This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in
e-mail is strictly forbidden.
Re: best Way to build a 2 Node Cluster with cold Standby ? [ In reply to ]
On 12/12/2014 03:22 AM, Hauke Bruno Wollentin wrote:
> Hi Hauke,
>
> personally I won't use DRBD for a case like that because of the _missing_
> replication here.
>
> Imho your idea will work, but it would be easier to manage to use some kind of
> file synchronisation like rsync, unison etc. when the cold standby node comes
> up.

Agreed. I would say that cold standby isn't high-availability, so I
don't think any HA software would be the right tool for the job.

If you also (separately) do a full backup of the main server for data
backup purposes, more frequently than every two weeks, I would recommend
rsync'ing the standby server from the backups. That gives you a more
recent copy of the data in case you have to failover when the main
server has completely died, and it keeps the additional sync traffic off
the production server.

-- Ken Gaillot