if it detects fencing is required? Technically, that can be done with
IPMI 'power cycle' or 'power reset' commands - but node (and thus the
"whole" cluster) will not know about fencing is succeeded, because if it
received the answer, then fencing failed. But node will be hard reboot
and thus cleaned up otherwise.

Best,
Vladislav

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: Suicide fencing and watchdog questions [ In reply to ]
> On 25 Nov 2014, at 10:37 pm, Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble@hoster-ok.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there any information how watchdog integration is intended to work?
> What are currently-evaluated use-cases for that?
> It seems to be forcibly disabled id SBD is not detected...

Are you referring to no-quorum-policy=suicide?

Re: Suicide fencing and watchdog questions [ In reply to ]
27.11.2014 03:43, Andrew Beekhof wrote:

>> On 25 Nov 2014, at 10:37 pm, Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble@hoster-ok.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any information how watchdog integration is intended to work?
>> What are currently-evaluated use-cases for that?
>> It seems to be forcibly disabled id SBD is not detected...
>
> Are you referring to no-quorum-policy=suicide?

That too.

But main intention was to understand what value that feature can bring
at all.
I tried to enable it without SBD or no-quorum-policy=suicide and
watchdog was not fired up. Then I looked at sources and realized that it
is enabled only when SBD is detected, and is not actually managed by the
cluster option.

Re: Suicide fencing and watchdog questions [ In reply to ]
> On 27 Nov 2014, at 4:24 pm, Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble@hoster-ok.com> wrote:
>
> 27.11.2014 03:43, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>>
>>> On 25 Nov 2014, at 10:37 pm, Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble@hoster-ok.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any information how watchdog integration is intended to work?
>>> What are currently-evaluated use-cases for that?
>>> It seems to be forcibly disabled id SBD is not detected...
>>
>> Are you referring to no-quorum-policy=suicide?
>
> That too.
>
> But main intention was to understand what value that feature can bring
> at all.
> I tried to enable it without SBD or no-quorum-policy=suicide and
> watchdog was not fired up.

The only interaction with watchdog is via SBD.
Suicide for no-quorum-policy has always relied on fencing.

SBD will look for that value though and tailor its behaviour.

Re: Suicide fencing and watchdog questions [ In reply to ]
Ð’ Thu, 27 Nov 2014 08:24:56 +0300
Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble@hoster-ok.com> пишет:

> 27.11.2014 03:43, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
> >
> >> On 25 Nov 2014, at 10:37 pm, Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble@hoster-ok.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is there any information how watchdog integration is intended to work?
> >> What are currently-evaluated use-cases for that?
> >> It seems to be forcibly disabled id SBD is not detected...
> >
> > Are you referring to no-quorum-policy=suicide?
>
> That too.
>
> But main intention was to understand what value that feature can bring
> at all.
> I tried to enable it without SBD or no-quorum-policy=suicide and
> watchdog was not fired up. Then I looked at sources and realized that it
> is enabled only when SBD is detected, and is not actually managed by the
> cluster option.

It is not enough for a node to kill itself, other nodes need to find out
whether it has done it. What are other options besides SBD in this case?

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: Suicide fencing and watchdog questions [ In reply to ]
> On 29 Nov 2014, at 5:36 pm, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ð’ Thu, 27 Nov 2014 08:24:56 +0300
> Vladislav Bogdanov <bubble@hoster-ok.com> пишет:

>>> Are you referring to no-quorum-policy=suicide?
>>
>> That too.
>>
>> But main intention was to understand what value that feature can bring
>> at all.
>> I tried to enable it without SBD or no-quorum-policy=suicide and
>> watchdog was not fired up. Then I looked at sources and realized that it
>> is enabled only when SBD is detected, and is not actually managed by the
>> cluster option.
>>

> It is not enough for a node to kill itself, other nodes need to find out
> whether it has done it. What are other options besides SBD in this case?

Normal fencing devices /could/ be depending on the level of risk you're prepared to accept.