Mailing List Archive

Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes
Hello,

I have a 4 nodes cluster and some resources are only installed on 2 of
them.

I set cluster asymmetry and infinity location:

primitive Mysqld upstart:mysql \
op monitor interval="60"
primitive OpenNebula-Sunstone-Sysv lsb:opennebula-sunstone \
op monitor interval="60"
primitive OpenNebula-Sysv lsb:opennebula \
op monitor interval="60"
group OpenNebula Mysqld OpenNebula-Sysv OpenNebula-Sunstone-Sysv \
meta target-role="Started"
location OpenNebula-runs-on-Frontend OpenNebula inf: one-frontend
property $id="cib-bootstrap-options" \
dc-version="1.1.10-42f2063" \
cluster-infrastructure="corosync" \
symmetric-cluster="false" \
stonith-enabled="true" \
stonith-timeout="30" \
last-lrm-refresh="1416817941" \
no-quorum-policy="stop" \
stop-all-resources="off"

But I have a lot of failing monitoring on other nodes of these resources
because they are not installed on them.

Is there a way to completely exclude the resources from nodes, even the
monitoring?

Regards.

Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (amd64):
- corosync 2.3.3-1ubuntu1
- pacemaker 1.1.10+git20130802-1ubuntu2.1

--
Daniel Dehennin
Récupérer ma clef GPG: gpg --recv-keys 0xCC1E9E5B7A6FE2DF
Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
Daniel Dehennin <daniel.dehennin@baby-gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,

Hello,

> I have a 4 nodes cluster and some resources are only installed on 2 of
> them.
>
> I set cluster asymmetry and infinity location:
>
> primitive Mysqld upstart:mysql \
> op monitor interval="60"
> primitive OpenNebula-Sunstone-Sysv lsb:opennebula-sunstone \
> op monitor interval="60"
> primitive OpenNebula-Sysv lsb:opennebula \
> op monitor interval="60"
> group OpenNebula Mysqld OpenNebula-Sysv OpenNebula-Sunstone-Sysv \
> meta target-role="Started"
> location OpenNebula-runs-on-Frontend OpenNebula inf: one-frontend
> property $id="cib-bootstrap-options" \
> dc-version="1.1.10-42f2063" \
> cluster-infrastructure="corosync" \
> symmetric-cluster="false" \
> stonith-enabled="true" \
> stonith-timeout="30" \
> last-lrm-refresh="1416817941" \
> no-quorum-policy="stop" \
> stop-all-resources="off"
>
> But I have a lot of failing monitoring on other nodes of these resources
> because they are not installed on them.
>
> Is there a way to completely exclude the resources from nodes, even the
> monitoring?

This cause troubles on my setup, as resources fails, my nodes are all
fenced.

Any hints?

Regards.
Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
> > I have a 4 nodes cluster and some resources are only installed on 2 of
> > them.
> >
> > I set cluster asymmetry and infinity location:
> >
> > primitive Mysqld upstart:mysql \
> > op monitor interval="60"
> > primitive OpenNebula-Sunstone-Sysv lsb:opennebula-sunstone \
> > op monitor interval="60"
> > primitive OpenNebula-Sysv lsb:opennebula \
> > op monitor interval="60"
> > group OpenNebula Mysqld OpenNebula-Sysv OpenNebula-Sunstone-Sysv \
> > meta target-role="Started"
> > location OpenNebula-runs-on-Frontend OpenNebula inf: one-frontend
> > property $id="cib-bootstrap-options" \
> > dc-version="1.1.10-42f2063" \
> > cluster-infrastructure="corosync" \
> > symmetric-cluster="false" \
> > stonith-enabled="true" \
> > stonith-timeout="30" \
> > last-lrm-refresh="1416817941" \
> > no-quorum-policy="stop" \
> > stop-all-resources="off"
> >
> > But I have a lot of failing monitoring on other nodes of these resources
> > because they are not installed on them.
> >
> > Is there a way to completely exclude the resources from nodes, even the
> > monitoring?

actually, this is possible now. I am unaware of any configuration tools (pcs or
crmsh) that support this feature yet though. You might have to edit the cib xml
manually.

There's a new 'resource-discovery' option you can set on a location constraint
that help prevent resources from ever being started or monitored on a node.

Example: never start or monitor the resource FAKE1 on 18node2.

<rsc_location id="location-FAKE1-18node2" node="18node2" resource-discovery="never" rsc="FAKE1" score="-INFINITY"/>

There are more examples in this regression test.
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/blob/master/pengine/test10/resource-discovery.xml#L99

-- Vossel

Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
David Vossel <dvossel@redhat.com> writes:

> actually, this is possible now. I am unaware of any configuration tools (pcs or
> crmsh) that support this feature yet though. You might have to edit the cib xml
> manually.
>
> There's a new 'resource-discovery' option you can set on a location constraint
> that help prevent resources from ever being started or monitored on a node.
>
> Example: never start or monitor the resource FAKE1 on 18node2.
>
> <rsc_location id="location-FAKE1-18node2" node="18node2" resource-discovery="never" rsc="FAKE1" score="-INFINITY"/>
>
> There are more examples in this regression test.
> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/blob/master/pengine/test10/resource-discovery.xml#L99

Thanks a lot.

I'll try find how to make the change directly in XML.

Regards.
Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
Daniel Dehennin <daniel.dehennin@baby-gnu.org> writes:

>> There's a new 'resource-discovery' option you can set on a location constraint
>> that help prevent resources from ever being started or monitored on a node.
>>
>> Example: never start or monitor the resource FAKE1 on 18node2.
>>
>> <rsc_location id="location-FAKE1-18node2" node="18node2" resource-discovery="never" rsc="FAKE1" score="-INFINITY"/>
>>
>> There are more examples in this regression test.
>> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/pacemaker/blob/master/pengine/test10/resource-discovery.xml#L99
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> I'll try find how to make the change directly in XML.

Ok, looking at git history this feature seems only available on master
branch and not yet released.

Thanks.
Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
25.11.2014 23:36, David Vossel wrote:

> [...]

crmsh git master supports that.

One note is that pacemaker validation schema should be set to
'pacemaker-next'.

Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
Daniel Dehennin <daniel.dehennin@baby-gnu.org> writes:

>> I'll try find how to make the change directly in XML.
>
> Ok, looking at git history this feature seems only available on master
> branch and not yet released.

I do not have that feature on my pacemaker version.

Does it sounds normal, I have:

- asymmetrical Opt-in cluster[1]

- a group of resources with INFINITY location on a specific node

And the nodes excluded are fenced because of many monitor errors about
this resource.

Regards.

Footnotes:
[1] http://clusterlabs.org/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1-plugin/html/Pacemaker_Explained/_asymmetrical_opt_in_clusters.html

Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
26.11.2014 14:21, Daniel Dehennin wrote:
> Daniel Dehennin <daniel.dehennin@baby-gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> I'll try find how to make the change directly in XML.
>>
>> Ok, looking at git history this feature seems only available on master
>> branch and not yet released.
>
> I do not have that feature on my pacemaker version.
>
> Does it sounds normal, I have:
>
> - asymmetrical Opt-in cluster[1]
>
> - a group of resources with INFINITY location on a specific node
>
> And the nodes excluded are fenced because of many monitor errors about
> this resource.

Nodes may be fenced because of resource _only_ if resource fails to
stop. I can only guess what exactly happens:
* cluster probes all resource on all nodes (to prevent that you need
feature mentioned by David)
* some of resource probes return something except "not running"
* cluster tries to stop that resources
* stop fails
* node is fenced

You need to locate what exactly resource returns error on probe and fix
that agent (actually you do not use OCF agents but rather upstart jobs
and LSB scripts).

Above is for the case if all nodes have mysql job and both scripts
installed.

If pacemaker decides to fence because one of them is missing - that
should be a bug.

Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
What version of pacemaker is this?
Some very old versions wanted the agent to be installed on all nodes.

Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
Andrew Beekhof <andrew@beekhof.net> writes:

> What version of pacemaker is this?
> Some very old versions wanted the agent to be installed on all nodes.

It's 1.1.10+git20130802-1ubuntu2.1 on Trusty Tahr.

Regards.
Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
> On 4 Dec 2014, at 7:52 pm, Daniel Dehennin <daniel.dehennin@baby-gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Andrew Beekhof <andrew@beekhof.net> writes:
>
>> What version of pacemaker is this?
>> Some very old versions wanted the agent to be installed on all nodes.
>
> It's 1.1.10+git20130802-1ubuntu2.1 on Trusty Tahr.

I'm reasonably sure you need:

+ Gao,Yan (1 year, 5 months ago) 767213e: Feature: pengine: Distinguish between the agent being missing and something the agent needs being missing

which first appeared in 1.1.11-rc1

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: Avoid monitoring of resources on nodes [ In reply to ]
Andrew Beekhof <andrew@beekhof.net> writes:

> I'm reasonably sure you need:
>
> + Gao,Yan (1 year, 5 months ago) 767213e: Feature: pengine: Distinguish between the agent being missing and something the agent needs being missing
>
> which first appeared in 1.1.11-rc1

Thanks.

I changed my setup, only the bare metal nodes use GFS2.

I added an NFS resource with a dedicated IP resource to be used by the VMs.

Now my cluster is symmetrical.

Regards.