Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: [ha-wg-technical] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
> On 25 Nov 2014, at 2:12 am, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@suse.com> wrote:
>
> On 2014-11-24T15:54:33, "Fabio M. Di Nitto" <fdinitto@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> dates and location were chosen to piggy-back with devconf.cz and allow
>> people to travel for more than just HA Summit.
>
> Yeah, well, devconf.cz is not such an interesting event for those who do
> not wear the fedora ;-)

Its not necessarily the conference of choice even for people that do.
I just do what I'm told :)

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [Linux-HA] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
On 2014-11-24T16:16:05, "Fabio M. Di Nitto" <fdinitto@redhat.com> wrote:

> > Yeah, well, devconf.cz is not such an interesting event for those who do
> > not wear the fedora ;-)
> That would be the perfect opportunity for you to convert users to Suse ;)

> >> I´d prefer, at least for this round, to keep dates/location and explore
> >> the option to allow people to join remotely. Afterall there are tons of
> >> tools between google hangouts and others that would allow that.
> > That is, in my experience, the absolute worst. It creates second class
> > participants and is a PITA for everyone.
> I agree, it is still a way for people to join in tho.

I personally disagree. In my experience, one either does a face-to-face
meeting, or a virtual one that puts everyone on the same footing.
Mixing both works really badly unless the team already knows each
other.

> > I know that an in-person meeting is useful, but we have a large team in
> > Beijing, the US, Tasmania (OK, one crazy guy), various countries in
> > Europe etc.
> Yes same here. No difference.. we have one crazy guy in Australia..

Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
That's a bit different. ;-)

OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?

Regards,
Lars

Re: [Linux-HA] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
Am Dienstag, 25. November 2014, 10:54:01 schrieb Lars Marowsky-Bree:
> On 2014-11-24T16:16:05, "Fabio M. Di Nitto" <fdinitto@redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Yeah, well, devconf.cz is not such an interesting event for those who do
> > > not wear the fedora ;-)
> >
> > That would be the perfect opportunity for you to convert users to Suse ;)

> > > That is, in my experience, the absolute worst. It creates second class
> > > participants and is a PITA for everyone.
> >
> > I agree, it is still a way for people to join in tho.
>
> I personally disagree. In my experience, one either does a face-to-face
> meeting, or a virtual one that puts everyone on the same footing.
> Mixing both works really badly unless the team already knows each
> other.
>
> > > I know that an in-person meeting is useful, but we have a large team in
> > > Beijing, the US, Tasmania (OK, one crazy guy), various countries in
> > > Europe etc.
> >
> > Yes same here. No difference.. we have one crazy guy in Australia..
>
> Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
> That's a bit different. ;-)
>
> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?

- Roadmap: What to expect next.
- Unification: Locking and fencing the RH style (cman) and the rest of the
world.
- features in pacemaker
- Cluster File Systems: Which one is usable for what application.

All points from a users point of view. Not realated to any company.

I could present: "Monitoring of clusters".

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Michael Schwartzkopff

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64, +49 (162) 165 0044
Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

Re: [Linux-HA] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
> On 25 Nov 2014, at 9:16 pm, Michael Schwartzkopff <ms@sys4.de> wrote:

>>> That would be the perfect opportunity for you to convert users to Suse ;)

>>> I agree, it is still a way for people to join in tho.
>>
>> I personally disagree. In my experience, one either does a face-to-face
>> meeting, or a virtual one that puts everyone on the same footing.
>> Mixing both works really badly unless the team already knows each
>> other.

>>> Yes same here. No difference.. we have one crazy guy in Australia..
>>
>> Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
>> That's a bit different. ;-)
>>
>> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
>> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?
>
> - Roadmap: What to expect next.
> - Unification: Locking and fencing the RH style (cman) and the rest of the
> world.

Unification is pretty much sorted AFAICS, RHEL ships corosync2 + pacemaker and SUSE either does already or is talking about doing it soon.
Pacemaker + CMAN was only ever a transitioning state.

Re: [Cluster-devel] [Linux-HA] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
> On 25 Nov 2014, at 8:54 pm, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@suse.com> wrote:
>
> On 2014-11-24T16:16:05, "Fabio M. Di Nitto" <fdinitto@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, well, devconf.cz is not such an interesting event for those who do
>>> not wear the fedora ;-)
>> That would be the perfect opportunity for you to convert users to Suse ;)

>>> That is, in my experience, the absolute worst. It creates second class
>>> participants and is a PITA for everyone.
>> I agree, it is still a way for people to join in tho.
>
> I personally disagree. In my experience, one either does a face-to-face
> meeting, or a virtual one that puts everyone on the same footing.
> Mixing both works really badly unless the team already knows each
> other.
>
>>> I know that an in-person meeting is useful, but we have a large team in
>>> Beijing, the US, Tasmania (OK, one crazy guy), various countries in
>>> Europe etc.
>> Yes same here. No difference.. we have one crazy guy in Australia..
>
> Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
> That's a bit different. ;-)
>
> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?

Personally I'm interested in talking about scaling - with pacemaker-remoted and/or a new messaging/membership layer.

Other design-y topics:
- SBD
- degraded mode
- improved notifications
- containerisation of services (cgroups, docker, virt)
- resource-agents (upstream releases, handling of pull requests, testing)

User-facing topics could include recent features (ie. pacemaker-remoted, crm_resource --restart) and common deployment scenarios (eg. NFS) that people get wrong.

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [Cluster-devel] [Linux-HA] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
> >> That would be the perfect opportunity for you to convert users to Suse ;)

> >> I agree, it is still a way for people to join in tho.
> >
> > I personally disagree. In my experience, one either does a face-to-face
> > meeting, or a virtual one that puts everyone on the same footing.
> > Mixing both works really badly unless the team already knows each
> > other.

> >> Yes same here. No difference.. we have one crazy guy in Australia..
> >
> > Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
> > That's a bit different. ;-)
> >
> > OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
> > fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?
>
> Personally I'm interested in talking about scaling - with pacemaker-remoted
> and/or a new messaging/membership layer.

If we're going to talk about scaling, we should throw in our new docker support
in the same discussion. Docker lends itself well to the "pet vs cattle" analogy.
I see management of docker with pacemaker making quite a bit of sense now that we
have the ability to scale into the "cattle" territory.

> Other design-y topics:
> - SBD
> - degraded mode
> - improved notifications
> - containerisation of services (cgroups, docker, virt)
> - resource-agents (upstream releases, handling of pull requests, testing)

Yep, We definitely need to talk about the resource-agents.

> User-facing topics could include recent features (ie. pacemaker-remoted,
> crm_resource --restart) and common deployment scenarios (eg. NFS) that
> people get wrong.

Adding to the list, it would be a good idea to talk about Deployment
integration testing, what's going on with the phd project and why it's
important regardless if you're interested in what the project functionally
does.

-- Vossel

Re: [ha-wg-technical] [Cluster-devel] [Linux-HA] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
On 25/11/14 04:31 PM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>> Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
>> That's a bit different. ;-)
>>
>> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
>> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?
>
> Personally I'm interested in talking about scaling - with pacemaker-remoted and/or a new messaging/membership layer.
>
> Other design-y topics:
> - SBD
> - degraded mode
> - improved notifications

This my be something my company can bring to the table. We just hired a
dev whose principle goal is to develop and alert system for HA. We're
modelling it heavily on the fence/resource agent model with a "scan
core" and "scan agents". It's sort of like existing tools, but designed
specifically for HA clusters and heavily focused on not interfering with
the host more than at all necessary. By Feb., it should be mostly done.

We're doing this for our own needs, but it might be a framework worth
talking about, if nothing else to see if others consider it a fit. Of
course, it will be entirely open source. *If* there is interest, I could
put together a(n informal) talk on it with a demo.

> - containerisation of services (cgroups, docker, virt)
> - resource-agents (upstream releases, handling of pull requests, testing)
>
> User-facing topics could include recent features (ie. pacemaker-remoted, crm_resource --restart) and common deployment scenarios (eg. NFS) that people get wrong.

--
Digimer
access to education?

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [ha-wg-technical] [Cluster-devel] [Linux-HA] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
> On 26 Nov 2014, at 10:06 am, Digimer <lists@alteeve.ca> wrote:
>
> On 25/11/14 04:31 PM, Andrew Beekhof wrote:
>>> Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
>>> That's a bit different. ;-)
>>>
>>> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
>>> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?
>>
>> Personally I'm interested in talking about scaling - with pacemaker-remoted and/or a new messaging/membership layer.
>>
>> Other design-y topics:
>> - SBD
>> - degraded mode
>> - improved notifications
>
> This my be something my company can bring to the table. We just hired a dev whose principle goal is to develop and alert system for HA. We're modelling it heavily on the fence/resource agent model with a "scan core" and "scan agents". It's sort of like existing tools, but designed specifically for HA clusters and heavily focused on not interfering with the host more than at all necessary. By Feb., it should be mostly done.
>
> We're doing this for our own needs, but it might be a framework worth talking about, if nothing else to see if others consider it a fit. Of course, it will be entirely open source. *If* there is interest, I could put together a(n informal) talk on it with a demo.

Definitely interesting

Re: [ha-wg] [Linux-HA] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
On 11/25/2014 10:54 AM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2014-11-24T16:16:05, "Fabio M. Di Nitto" <fdinitto@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, well, devconf.cz is not such an interesting event for those who do
>>> not wear the fedora ;-)
>> That would be the perfect opportunity for you to convert users to Suse ;)

>>> That is, in my experience, the absolute worst. It creates second class
>>> participants and is a PITA for everyone.
>> I agree, it is still a way for people to join in tho.
>
> I personally disagree. In my experience, one either does a face-to-face
> meeting, or a virtual one that puts everyone on the same footing.
> Mixing both works really badly unless the team already knows each
> other.
>
>>> I know that an in-person meeting is useful, but we have a large team in
>>> Beijing, the US, Tasmania (OK, one crazy guy), various countries in
>>> Europe etc.
>> Yes same here. No difference.. we have one crazy guy in Australia..
>
> Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
> That's a bit different. ;-)
>
> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?

I´d say either a google doc or any random etherpad/wiki instance will do
just fine.

As for the topics:
- corosync qdevice and plugins (network, disk, integration with sdb?,
others?)
- corosync RRP / libknet integration/replacement
- fence autodetection/autoconfiguration

For the user facing topics (that is if there are enough participants and
I only got 1 user confirmation so far):

- demos, cluster 101, tutorials
- get feedback
- get feedback
- get more feedback

Fabio

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [Cluster-devel] [ha-wg] [Linux-HA] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
On 26/11/14 12:51 AM, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:

>>> That would be the perfect opportunity for you to convert users to Suse ;)

>>> I agree, it is still a way for people to join in tho.
>>
>> I personally disagree. In my experience, one either does a face-to-face
>> meeting, or a virtual one that puts everyone on the same footing.
>> Mixing both works really badly unless the team already knows each
>> other.

>>> Yes same here. No difference.. we have one crazy guy in Australia..
>>
>> Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
>> That's a bit different. ;-)
>>
>> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
>> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?
>
> I´d say either a google doc or any random etherpad/wiki instance will do
> just fine.
>
> As for the topics:
> - corosync qdevice and plugins (network, disk, integration with sdb?,
> others?)
> - corosync RRP / libknet integration/replacement
> - fence autodetection/autoconfiguration
>
> For the user facing topics (that is if there are enough participants and
> I only got 1 user confirmation so far):
>
> - demos, cluster 101, tutorials
> - get feedback
> - get feedback
> - get more feedback
>
> Fabio

I'd be happy to do a cluster 101 or similar, if there is interest. Not
sure if that would be particularly appealing to anyone coming to our
meeting, as I think anyone interested is probably well past 101. :)
Anyway, you guys know my background, let me know if there is a topic
you'd like me to cover for the user side of things.

--
Digimer
access to education?

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [ha-wg-technical] [ha-wg] [Linux-HA] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
On 26/11/14 12:51 AM, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:

>>> That would be the perfect opportunity for you to convert users to Suse ;)

>>> I agree, it is still a way for people to join in tho.
>>
>> I personally disagree. In my experience, one either does a face-to-face
>> meeting, or a virtual one that puts everyone on the same footing.
>> Mixing both works really badly unless the team already knows each
>> other.

>>> Yes same here. No difference.. we have one crazy guy in Australia..
>>
>> Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
>> That's a bit different. ;-)
>>
>> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
>> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?
>
> I´d say either a google doc or any random etherpad/wiki instance will do
> just fine.
>
> As for the topics:
> - corosync qdevice and plugins (network, disk, integration with sdb?,
> others?)
> - corosync RRP / libknet integration/replacement
> - fence autodetection/autoconfiguration
>
> For the user facing topics (that is if there are enough participants and
> I only got 1 user confirmation so far):
>
> - demos, cluster 101, tutorials
> - get feedback
> - get feedback
> - get more feedback
>
> Fabio

Ok, I do have a topic I want to add;

Merging the dozen different mailing lists, IRC channels and other
support forums. This thread is a good example of the thinness that the
community is spread over.

A 'dev', 'user', 'announce' list should be enough for all HA. Likewise,
one IRC channel should be enough, too.

The trick will be discussing this without bikeshedding. :)

digimer

--
Digimer
access to education?

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [ha-wg-technical] [ha-wg] [Linux-HA] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
> On 26 Nov 2014, at 4:51 pm, Fabio M. Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net> wrote:

>>> That would be the perfect opportunity for you to convert users to Suse ;)

>>> I agree, it is still a way for people to join in tho.
>>
>> I personally disagree. In my experience, one either does a face-to-face
>> meeting, or a virtual one that puts everyone on the same footing.
>> Mixing both works really badly unless the team already knows each
>> other.

>>> Yes same here. No difference.. we have one crazy guy in Australia..
>>
>> Yeah, but you're already bringing him for your personal conference.
>> That's a bit different. ;-)
>>
>> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
>> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?
>
> I´d say either a google doc or any random etherpad/wiki instance will do
> just fine.

-ENOGOOGLE

Re: [Linux-HA] [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
25.11.2014 12:54, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:...

> OK, let's switch tracks a bit. What *topics* do we actually have? Can we
> fill two days? Where would we want to collect them?

Just my 2c.

- It would be interesting to get some bird-view information
on what C APIs corosync and pacemaker currently provide to application
developers (one immediate use-case is in-app monitoring of the cluster
events).

- One more (more developer-bounded) topic could be a "resource degraded
state" support. From the user perspective it would be nice to have. One
immediate example is iscsi connection to several portals. When some
portals are not accessible, connection still may work, but in the
"degraded" state.

Best,
Vladislav

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [ha-wg] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
On 11/25/2014 02:14 AM, Digimer wrote:
> On 24/11/14 10:12 AM, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>> Beijing, the US, Tasmania (OK, one crazy guy), various countries in
>
> Oh, bring him! crazy++

What, you want to bring the guy who's boldly maintaining the outpost on
the southern frontier? ;)

*cough*

Barring a miracle or a sudden huge advance in matter transporter
technology I'm rather unlikely to make it, I'm afraid. But I'll add my
voice to what Lars said in another email - go all physical (with good
minutes/notes/etherpads for others to review - which I assume is what's
going to happen this time), or all virtual. Mixing the two is
exceedingly difficult to do well, IMO.

Regards,

Tim
--
Tim Serong
Senior Clustering Engineer

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
Hello,

it occured to me that if you want to use the opportunity and double
as as tourist while being in Brno, it's about the right time to
consider reservations/ticket purchases this early.
At least in some cases it is a must, e.g., Villa Tugendhat:

http://rezervace.spilberk.cz/langchange.aspx?mrsname=&languageId=2&returnUrl=%2Flist

--
Jan
Re: [ha-wg-technical] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

Really late response but,
I will be joining the HA summit, with a few colleagues from NTT.

See you guys in Brno,

> Hello,
>
> it occured to me that if you want to use the opportunity and double
> as as tourist while being in Brno, it's about the right time to
> consider reservations/ticket purchases this early.
> At least in some cases it is a must, e.g., Villa Tugendhat:
>
> http://rezervace.spilberk.cz/langchange.aspx?mrsname=&languageId=2&returnUrl=%2Flist
>
> On 08/09/14 12:30 +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>> DevConf will start Friday the 6th of Feb 2015 in Red Hat Brno offices.
>>
>> My suggestion would be to have a 2 days dedicated HA summit the 4th and
>> the 5th of February.
>
> --
> Jan

Keisuke MORI

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [ha-wg-technical] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
It will be very nice to see you again! Will Ikeda-san be there as well?

digimer

On 22/12/14 03:35 AM, Keisuke MORI wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Really late response but,
> I will be joining the HA summit, with a few colleagues from NTT.
>
> See you guys in Brno,
> Thanks,

>> Hello,
>>
>> it occured to me that if you want to use the opportunity and double
>> as as tourist while being in Brno, it's about the right time to
>> consider reservations/ticket purchases this early.
>> At least in some cases it is a must, e.g., Villa Tugendhat:
>>
>> http://rezervace.spilberk.cz/langchange.aspx?mrsname=&languageId=2&returnUrl=%2Flist
>>
>> On 08/09/14 12:30 +0200, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:
>>> DevConf will start Friday the 6th of Feb 2015 in Red Hat Brno offices.
>>>
>>> My suggestion would be to have a 2 days dedicated HA summit the 4th and
>>> the 5th of February.
>>
>> --
>> Jan

Digimer
access to education?

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [Linux-HA] [ha-wg-technical] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
Hi Digimer,

I am Iida to participate from NTT along with Mori.
I want you added to the list of participants.

I'm sorry contact is late.

Regards,
Yusuke

Re: [Linux-HA] [ha-wg-technical] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
Woohoo!!

Will be very nice to see you. :)

I've added you. Can you give me a short sentence to introduce yourself
to people who haven't met you?

Madi

On 13/01/15 11:33 PM, Yusuke Iida wrote:
> Hi Digimer,
>
> I am Iida to participate from NTT along with Mori.
> I want you added to the list of participants.
>
> I'm sorry contact is late.
>
> Regards,
> Yusuke

>> It will be very nice to see you again! Will Ikeda-san be there as well?
>>
>> digimer
>>
>> On 22/12/14 03:35 AM, Keisuke MORI wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Really late response but,
>>> I will be joining the HA summit, with a few colleagues from NTT.
>>>
>>> See you guys in Brno,
>>> Thanks,

>> --
>> Digimer
>> Papers and Projects: https://alteeve.ca/w/
>> What if the cure for cancer is trapped in the mind of a person without
>> access to education?

Digimer
access to education?

Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org
Re: [Linux-HA] [ha-wg-technical] [RFC] Organizing HA Summit 2015 [ In reply to ]
Thank you for adding to the list!

introduce: Japanese Pacemaker developer (and user). Belong to the
Linux-HA japan. @yuusuke on Github.

This, please.

Thanks,
Yusuke