What do I have to do to find the related "WARNINGS" mentioned by the transition?

Best regards
Andreas Mock

Re: PE-Engine-Processing [ In reply to ]
On 2008-01-17T22:56:27, Andreas Mock <Andreas.Mock@web.de> wrote:

> Hi all, hi Andrew,
>
> HAv2 (2.1.2 or 2.1.3): When I find messages like the following in the log file:

That doesn't appear pacemaker-specific, please don't split the lists
unnecessarily.

> --------------------------8<---------------------------------------
> Jan 17 22:27:02 dis01 pengine: [18830]: WARN: process_pe_message: Transition 1: WARNINGs found during PE processing. PEngine Input
> stored in: /var/lib/heartbeat/pengine/pe-warn-35.bz2
> Jan 17 22:27:02 dis01 pengine: [18830]: info: process_pe_message: Configuration WARNINGs found during PE processing. Please run
> "crm_verify -L" to identify issues.

Usually, there should be something in the logs above it which indicates
why.

> --------------------------8<---------------------------------------
>
> what do I have to do?
> a) Take pe-warn-35.bz2, unzip it and push it through 'crm_verify -VVVVV -x pe-warn-35'?
> b) Or make a plain 'crm_verify -L -VVVVV'?
>
> In both cases I don't get a hint why I got a warning message in the logs.
> What do I have to do to find the related "WARNINGS" mentioned by the transition?

Of course, you can also try ptest -VVVVVV and see what that tells you,
which is the PE by another name.

Regards,
Lars

Re: PE-Engine-Processing [ In reply to ]
Hi Lars,

thank you for your quick reply.

I saw the graphics at http://clusterlabs.org/#Architecture and therefore
thought that PE related questions belong to CRM et altera.
Sorry for posting to the wrong place.

But probably I'm just the first one doing it wrong.
Please announce where to post the right questions to not seperating
the HA community. :-)

Best regards
Andreas Mock

Re: PE-Engine-Processing [ In reply to ]
On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:14 PM, Andreas Mock wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>
> thank you for your quick reply.
>
> I saw the graphics at http://clusterlabs.org/#Architecture and
> therefore
> thought that PE related questions belong to CRM et altera.
> Sorry for posting to the wrong place.

No need to apologize, lmb and I just need to get our stories
straight :-)

I'll continue to also answer pacemaker/crm questions on linux-ha but,
personally, I'd prefer questions to be sent to this list.
Particularly since not everyone will be using the heartbeat stack
anymore.

In answer to your original question, yeah, there will have been some
errors earlier on that might make this particular input "interesting"
to an admin/debugger at a later point.
So it saves it as pe-warn-* (instead of pe-input-*) and logs that
message.

> But probably I'm just the first one doing it wrong.
> Please announce where to post the right questions to not seperating
> the HA community. :-)
>
> Best regards
> Andreas Mock

I agree with Lars to not seperate the HA community when not necessary.
I just want to know where to post to. You know some guys don't like
crossposting.

> In answer to your original question, yeah, there will have been some
> errors earlier on that might make this particular input "interesting"
> to an admin/debugger at a later point.
> So it saves it as pe-warn-* (instead of pe-input-*) and logs that
> message.

My initial question is not completely answered. Probably I simply don't understand. ;-)
The log entry is saying: Hey guy, there's something which caused a warning
in the PE. I save this in pe-warn-* for you.
O.K. so far so good. But when I look at this file and put it through crm_verify I
can't see any messages which would explain why the initial warning was issued.

So, where do I have to look at to see what caused the warning message in the log.

Best regards
Andreas Mock

Re: PE-Engine-Processing [ In reply to ]
On Jan 18, 2008, at 10:47 AM, Andreas Mock wrote:

> [...]

I agree in theory, _but_
- it doesn't seem appropriate to hijack the heartbeat mailing list for
use by people not using heartbeat (ie. the openais guys)
- threats of censorship have been made in the past
- the heartbeat mailing list has already been shut down once because
someone didn't like what they saw

> I just want to know where to post to. You know some guys don't like
> crossposting.

nod, personally though it doesn't bother me so much.

Just take a guess. If you send it here and it's more of a heartbeat
question, we can just bounce it to the heartbeat list.
Generally speaking though, if it involves XML, then this is the right
place :-)

Oh, and if you have a question about a specific component (eg. the
lrmd is using a lot of CPU), try to use the list for the relevant
project (http://clusterlabs.org/#Architecture)

>> In answer to your original question, yeah, there will have been some
>> errors earlier on that might make this particular input "interesting"
>> to an admin/debugger at a later point.
>> So it saves it as pe-warn-* (instead of pe-input-*) and logs that
>> message.
>
> My initial question is not completely answered. Probably I simply
> don't understand. ;-)
> The log entry is saying: Hey guy, there's something which caused a
> warning
> in the PE. I save this in pe-warn-* for you.
> O.K. so far so good. But when I look at this file and put it through
> crm_verify I
> can't see any messages which would explain why the initial warning
> was issued.

Ah.

crm_verify doesn't do a full simulation (because it doesn't always
have the status section, I need to make it smarter at figuring out
when it does), so it doesn't always catch everything.

try ptest instead... that will do exactly what the pengine process does

> So, where do I have to look at to see what caused the warning
> message in the log.

further back in the log... try grepping for "pengine.*WARN:"