| Thomas Hepper th@ant.han.de |
| ( If the above address fail try ) |
| ( thomas.hepper@t-online.de) |
heartbeat and more than 2 nodes [ In reply to ]
On 2000-09-14T18:12:55,
Thomas Hepper <th@ant.han.de> said:

> is the above possible ?
>
> I gave it a short try, and it doesn't work. If the
> node which holds an resource goes down the 2 other
> start both this resource ..
>
> If yes, how, if no what has to be changed ?

heartbeat will work with more than two nodes. That is, it will manage node
membership for more than two nodes.

Resource management however, as you noticed, doesn't work beyond two nodes.
There are no current plans to go beyond that.

FailSafe - http://oss.sgi.com/projects/failsafe/ - however will do more than
two nodes and is Open Source too. It comes with a nice GUI and everything.

Sincerely,
Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@suse.de>
Development HA

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl
heartbeat and more than 2 nodes [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 06:30:42PM +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2000-09-14T18:12:55,
>
> Resource management however, as you noticed, doesn't work beyond two nodes.
> There are no current plans to go beyond that.

:-(

> FailSafe - http://oss.sgi.com/projects/failsafe/ - however will do more than
> two nodes and is Open Source too. It comes with a nice GUI and everything.

Yes it has an nice gui, but i can't get it running on linux. May be you can give
me an tip.

My setup is at the momenent 2 linux boxes, every box has 1 network interface.
(1 box 192.168.1.1, 2 box 192.168.1.2)

I can define with the gui the following

the nodes
the cluster
the failover policy
an resource of type IP_address (192.168.1.100)
an resource group which contains the ip address resource

After bringing the resource group online i try to start FailSafe, but i can't configure
the virtual ip address, ha_ifdadmin brings an error.

In the definiton for the ip resources i tried different things for the interfaces definition,
eth0, eth0:0, but nothing worked. (setting the ip address on the command line works)

Any tip you can give. (Found nothing in the LinuxFailSafe AG)

Thomas
heartbeat and more than 2 nodes [ In reply to ]
On 2000-09-14T19:20:10,
Thomas Hepper <th@ant.han.de> said:

> Yes it has an nice gui, but i can't get it running on linux. May be you can give
> me an tip.

This belongs to the failsafe mailing list, please move it there. But I am
answering here for now, to give you time to subscribe ;-)

> After bringing the resource group online i try to start FailSafe, but i
> can't configure the virtual ip address, ha_ifdadmin brings an error.

After you configured everything, you have to "Start HA Services", and then
bring the resource group online.

Are you trying to call ha_ifdadmin manually?

> In the definiton for the ip resources i tried different things for the
> interfaces definition, eth0, eth0:0, but nothing worked. (setting the ip
> address on the command line works)

eth0 is correct.

heartbeat and more than 2 nodes [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 07:31:41PM +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> Are you trying to call ha_ifdadmin manually?

No,

> eth0 is correct.

Hmmm, so whats going wrong. I send this problem to the list (have subscribed in the
meantime)

Thanks