Mailing List Archive

Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: draft of updated GRITSnote]]
Chris Wright wrote:

> What types of embedded platforms are you thinking of, are these platforms
> going to have any way to install this new application? For example,
> something like Network Attached Storage doing NFS...sure they support RPC as
> part of NFS, but there is no way to add another RPC server to the NAS device
> itself.

This is where I'm hoping that the openness of the specification will work--
the NAS vendors will put the RPC or whatever service in place, because they
want to sell cluster storage. It works for everybody if we can agree on the
messages and the protocol. Working some things out in this linux-centric list is
just the first step, if it is going to work out.

> Somehow, it seems to me that the _actual_ messages being passed via the
> GRITS verbs are more important than the transport protocol.

Yes, but getting some sense of the supportable protocols will influence
our thinking, so getting short-list seems like a good idea to me.

> All I can say
> is... do we really want to do our own data marshalling?

Amen! That's why I'm down on raw tcp, despite my colleagues, who I will
have to keep talking to. System guys by and large still don't trust this
new-fangled RPC business, and like to do things on their own.

-dB (one-time CORBA ORB implementor)
Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: draft of updated GRITSnote]] [ In reply to ]
Chris Wright wrote:

> > > Just use SunRPC. XDR gives you completely standard, portable
> > > marshalling for your data structures, and has the advantage
> > that you can
> > > run XDR independently of the RPC code if you want to, so
> > that you can
> > > use the same marshalling code for sending fencing commands
> > over SCSI if
> > > you really want to.
> >
> > Except I don't believe that there is a SunRPC implementation for NT.
> >
> > The RPC code from OSF is available seperate from DCE. You do
> > not need a
> > DCE implementation to take advantage of it. It also has the
> > advantage of
> > running on most of the major OS's as both free and commercial
> > software.
>
> I know there used to be...the company I worked for a few years ago used it.
> A quick search brought up the site
> http://www.plt.rwth-aachen.de/ks/english/oncrpc.html
> where it looks like you can still download it. I haven't had to deal with
> it in a while, but as far as I know it is available and works ;-)

ONC RPC is the Sun RPC, not the OSF RPC. This is a point
for Stephen's argument.

-dB
Re: [Fwd: Re: [Fwd: Re: draft of updated GRITSnote]] [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, 08 Mar 2000 16:10:22 -0800, David Brower
<dbrower@us.oracle.com> said:

> Amen! That's why I'm down on raw tcp, despite my colleagues, who I will
> have to keep talking to. System guys by and large still don't trust this
> new-fangled RPC business, and like to do things on their own.

That's why I prefer the XDR standard, which gives you a standard
on-the-wire protocol without forcing you to use _any_ specific
software to package it. Raw tcp doesn't necessarily cut it if we're
talking over SCSI. We still need some form of standardising on things
to avoid having multiple different marshalling formats when talking to
different drives on the same bus, if SAN manufacturers start adopting
this sort of thing over (say) FCAL.

--Stephen