Mailing List Archive

ppp-udp don't work
Hi,

I met a problem while setting up ppp-udp for heartbeat.
The ha.cf file is as follow:

keepalive 2
deadtime 10
#hopfudge 1
#serial /dev/ttyS1
ppp-udp /dev/ttyS1 192.168.0.1
baud 19200
udpport 1002
#udp eth1
#watchdog /dev/watchdog
#debugfile /var/log/ha-debug
logfile /var/log/ha-log
logfacility local0
node node1.my.com
node node2.my.com

After heartbeat started, interface ppp0 is running, and I can ping each other through
ppp0.
But each heartbeat machine could not feel the other one, thus they take over all virtual
IPs.
If I change ppp-udp back to serial mode, it works.

Would anybody explain how this happen? Thanks a lot.

Yours, Cliff Liang
ppp-udp don't work [ In reply to ]
Qiming Liang wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I met a problem while setting up ppp-udp for heartbeat.
> The ha.cf file is as follow:
>
> keepalive 2
> deadtime 10
> #hopfudge 1
> #serial /dev/ttyS1
> ppp-udp /dev/ttyS1 192.168.0.1
> baud 19200
> udpport 1002
> #udp eth1
> #watchdog /dev/watchdog
> #debugfile /var/log/ha-debug
> logfile /var/log/ha-log
> logfacility local0
> node node1.my.com
> node node2.my.com
>
> After heartbeat started, interface ppp0 is running, and I can ping each
> other through
> ppp0.
> But each heartbeat machine could not feel the other one, thus they take
> over all virtual
> IPs.
> If I change ppp-udp back to serial mode, it works.
>
> Would anybody explain how this happen? Thanks a lot.
>
> Yours, Cliff Liang

Hi Cliff,

First let me say that the "raw" serial implementation is smaller, better, faster
and more reliable than the ppp implementation. I no longer recommend using the
ppp option.

However, having said that, it *should* work. Do you have each end of the PPP
connection set to different addresses? In other words, do your ha.cf files
assign each end of the connection a different address, or do they both set the
IP address to 192.168.0.1?

Have you started up everything with lots of debug? If you start up heartbeat
manually with 5 or so -d options, it will dump out lots of semi-interesting
information.

Thanks!

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@unix.sh OR alanr@bell-labs.com