Mailing List Archive

how to find a lvd Y-cable
hope this is not too much off topic

I build a shared-scsi "HA" with simple 8-bit scsi, running heartbeat on
serial and eth.
using initrd to boot both boxes from right scsi-disk even if one box is
dead.
see: http://www.visiez.nl/~han/ha.building/

I want to build a shared-LVD-scsi, but I've a hard time finding the
needed scsi-cable.

I now use a female/female gender-changer to connect 2 "normal"-internal
lvd scsi cables, but don't
like the connector in a HA-scsi-bus.

someone know where to find a better cable [without the connector] to
connect 2 LVD boxes?

maybe a supplier of this cable could even sponsor HA ?

I live in the netherlands, so suppliers here are most welcome.

-I can order a handmade-cable in the USA, but thats over $700 !!-

it all starts with the raw iron, without it, there's not much to test.

han
woerdt@castel.nl
how to find a lvd Y-cable [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 10:13:53PM +0100, han vd woerdt wrote:

> hope this is not too much off topic

I dont think its to much off topic, because cascading machines
on a scsi bus is as lvm and ha a good feature for productive environments :)

> I build a shared-scsi "HA" with simple 8-bit scsi, running heartbeat on
> serial and eth.
> using initrd to boot both boxes from right scsi-disk even if one box is
> dead.
> see: http://www.visiez.nl/~han/ha.building/
>
> I want to build a shared-LVD-scsi, but I've a hard time finding the
> needed scsi-cable.
>
> I now use a female/female gender-changer to connect 2 "normal"-internal
> lvd scsi cables, but don't
> like the connector in a HA-scsi-bus.
>
> someone know where to find a better cable [without the connector] to
> connect 2 LVD boxes?

We got Y-cables from www.delta-computer.de. KA-DEC-BN21W-0B is a Tri-Link
cable with high density (88 pins) plugs. The price is about 220.- DM
Maybe the feature code and the price have changed, but I think you can get
the Y-cables from this supplier...

> maybe a supplier of this cable could even sponsor HA ?

You can ask. :)

> I live in the netherlands, so suppliers here are most welcome.
>
> -I can order a handmade-cable in the USA, but thats over $700 !!-

We have got them cheaper :)

Greetings
Fabian Herschel
Fabian Herschel SuSE Rhein/Main AG
Tel: +49-6196-50951-23 Mergenthalerallee 45-47
Fax: +49-6196-409-607 D-65760 Eschborn
mailto: Fabian.Herschel@suse.de http://www.suse.de
how to find a lvd Y-cable [ In reply to ]
Fabian Herschel wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 05, 1999 at 10:13:53PM +0100, han vd woerdt wrote:
> >
> > hope this is not too much off topic
>
> I dont think its to much off topic, because cascading machines
> on a scsi bus is as lvm and ha a good feature for productive environments :)
>

> > I build a shared-scsi "HA" with simple 8-bit scsi, running heartbeat on
> > serial and eth.
> > using initrd to boot both boxes from right scsi-disk even if one box is
> > dead.
> > see: http://www.visiez.nl/~han/ha.building/
> >
> > I want to build a shared-LVD-scsi, but I've a hard time finding the
> > needed scsi-cable.
> >
> > I now use a female/female gender-changer to connect 2 "normal"-internal
> > lvd scsi cables, but don't
> > like the connector in a HA-scsi-bus.
> >
> > someone know where to find a better cable [without the connector] to
> > connect 2 LVD boxes?
>
> We got Y-cables from www.delta-computer.de. KA-DEC-BN21W-0B is a Tri-Link
> cable with high density (88 pins) plugs. The price is about 220.- DM
> Maybe the feature code and the price have changed, but I think you can get
> the Y-cables from this supplier...
>

> > maybe a supplier of this cable could even sponsor HA ?
>
> You can ask. :)
>

> > I live in the netherlands, so suppliers here are most welcome.
> >
> > -I can order a handmade-cable in the USA, but thats over $700 !!-
>
> We have got them cheaper :)

Hi Fabian,

I heard that someone in SuSE was working on shared-SCSI HA solutions. Does
someone there have the reserve/release code that makes shared SCSI work
"correctly"?

Thanks!

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@bell-labs.com