Subject: Re: missing givegroup?
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:52:46 +0200
From: Maik Lehradt <MLehradt@axcent.de>
To: Alan Robertson <alanr@bell-labs.com>

Alan Robertson wrote:
> =

> What I see here is that it took over two resources, and didn't give the=
m back
> up. It is VERY important that the /etc/rc.d/init.d/apache status messa=
ge give
> me back something indicating "running" in it's output. This is how I t=
ell what
> resources I own for shutdown.
> =

> Could you mail me the output of /etc/rc.d/init.d/apache status when apa=
che is
> running, and when it's not?
> =

Arg...

I have to admit that I was using the script coming from SuSE - which
never
answers "running". Shame on me, I=B4m sorry...

Maik.

-- =

Maik Lehradt - MLehradt@axcent.de - AXCENT GmbH

Always two there are - a master and an apprentice.
A question about SuSE [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Alan Robertson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I rely on running "resource-script-name status" to tell me if we own a
> resource. He has observed that /etc/rc.d/init.d/apache status never returns
> "running"
>
> What is SuSE supposed to do with the "status" requests to their scripts?

An excerpt from /sbin/init.d/apache follows:

status)
echo -n "Checking for service httpd: "
checkproc /usr/sbin/httpd && echo OK || echo No process
;;

Hope this helps.

Volker

--
Volker Wiegand Phone: +49 (0) 6196 / 50951-24
SuSE Rhein/Main AG Fax: +49 (0) 6196 / 40 96 07
A question about SuSE [ In reply to ]
Hi Folks,

Maik Lehradt had had a problem with heartbeat not being completely SuSE
compatible when it came to interfacing with external scripts.

Volker Wiegand wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Oct 1999, Alan Robertson wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I rely on running "resource-script-name status" to tell me if we own a
> > resource. He has observed that /etc/rc.d/init.d/apache status never returns
> > "running"
> >
> > What is SuSE supposed to do with the "status" requests to their scripts?
> >
> An excerpt from /sbin/init.d/apache follows:
>
> status)
> echo -n "Checking for service httpd: "
> checkproc /usr/sbin/httpd && echo OK || echo No process
> ;;
>
> Hope this helps.

Yep. The code in the CVS repository now recognizes "OK" as a valid
"I own the resource" response. It also gives OK in it's output when you do
a "heartbeat status" request, and it's up, and No process when it's down. It
continues to give running and stopped in these same outputs :-)

This should fix Maik's problem.

Thanks Volker,

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@bell-labs.com