Mailing List Archive

No bugs in 0.4.5e???
It's been three days since I announced the 0.4.5e version of heartbeat.

I haven't received a single bug report on it.

Either it has no bugs, or no one has tested it. (I rather suspect the latter).

Please let me know if you've been testing it.

Since lots of people have joined the list since then, I've repeated the
original announcement at the bottom of this email.

Contrary to the original announcement, there are now pointers to it on the
download web page.

Thanks!

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@bell-labs.com

Hi,

I've uploaded heartbeat 0.4.5e to the download directory of the web site, but
there are no pointers to it on the web site. The URLs are what you'd expect:

http://www.henge.com/~alanr/ha/download/heartbeat-0.4.5e.tar.gz
http://www.henge.com/~alanr/ha/download/heartbeat-0.4.5e-1.src.rpm
http://www.henge.com/~alanr/ha/download/heartbeat-0.4.5e-1.i386.rpm

What happened to 0.4.5d, you ask? I don't know. I guess I skipped it :-S

This is pretty close to my idea of what I want in the next release. If you
find bugs, I'll fix them, and call it good.

Please give it a good going over.

Beat it mercilessly!

It has quite a few changes over 0.4.5c...

Added -k option: gracefully shut down currently running heartbeat
~ equivalent to /etc/ha.d/init.d/heartbeat stop

Added -r option: cause currently running heartbeat to reread config
files (may involve restarting heartbeat processes)
Syntax errors in config files are caught before restarting
and keeps us from getting hosed by the lack of good
config files (!!)

Added -s option to report on status of heartbeat
~ equivalent to /etc/ha.d/init.d/heartbeat status

Fixed the FIFO creation bug(s)

Fixed a few uninitialized variables (caught by gcc -O2)

More script simplification and cleanup

SPECIAL TESTING EMPHASIS...

Testing against other configurations, particularly serial and ppp-udp

Serial concern:
packet authentication code

ppp-udp concern:
-r (reread config/restart) flag - in the case where we really do restart it.

General concern:
-r needs to be beat on by people with a perverse and peculiar mindset,
no mercy, and no sense of propriety

Weaknesses:
It appears that we miss two heartbeats while restarting after reading the
config file. This is one or two too many...
TAKE THIS INTO ACCOUNT IF YOU USE THIS FEATURE...

If I figure out how to avoid missing two before release, I will...

If you eliminate a pppd link in your config, it will NOT kill the pppd
process,
you have to kill it by hand & you'll be unable to start a "serial"
link over the same port...

-- Alan Robertson
alanr@bell-labs.com

Changelog is below...

* Tue Oct 05 1999 Alan Robertson <alanr@henge.com>,
Volker Wiegand <wiegand@suse.de>, Rudy Pawul <rpawul@iso-ne.com>,
Mitja Sarp <mitja@lysator.liu.se>,
and Guenther Thomsen <thomsen@cs.tu-berlin.de>

+ Version 0.4.5

+ Mijta Sarp added a new feature to authenticate heartbeat packets
+ Changed resource acquisition and relinquishment on heartbeat shutdown to
occur in heartbeat, instead of in the start/stop script. This means you
don't *really* have to use the start/stop script if you don't want to.
+ Added -k option to gracefully shut down current heartbeat instance
+ Added -r option to cause currently running heartbeat to reread config
files
+ Added -s option to report on operational status of "heartbeat"
+ Sped up resource acquisition on master restart
+ Added validation of ipresources file at startup time.
+ Added code to allow the IPaddr takeover script to be given the
interface to take over, instead of inferring it. This was requested
by Lars Marowsky-Bree
+ Incorporated patch from Guenther Thomsen to implement locking for
serial ports used for heartbeats
+ Incorporated patch from Guenther Thomsen to clean up logging.
(you can now use syslog and/or file logs)
+ Improved FreeBSD compatibility.
+ Fixed a bug where the FIFO doesn't get created correctly.
+ Fixed a couple of uninitialized variables in heartbeat and /proc/ha code
No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 02:23:53PM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
> It's been three days since I announced the 0.4.5e version of heartbeat.
>
> I haven't received a single bug report on it.
>
> Either it has no bugs, or no one has tested it. (I rather suspect the latter).

Still in the test, only problem at the moment is that the module does not
work. I can load it before the start, i can see the the nodes, but a
cat /proc/ha/nodes/node1 for example gives an segmentation fault from
the cat....

The second thing can be answered in a few days. I had with the previous
versions the problem that after an uptime of some days the slave does
not take the resources if the master dies. So for that answer i must
wait ...

The problems on the serial line has gone away, but i can't say what
fixed this. I have upgraded both nodes to kernel 2.2.13pre15 ....

Thomas

| Thomas Hepper th@ant.han.de |
| ( If the above address fail try ) |
| ( thomas.hepper@planet-interkom.de) |
No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

No bugs in 0.4.5e??? [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On Fri, Oct 08, 1999 at 02:23:53PM -0600, Alan Robertson wrote:
> It's been three days since I announced the 0.4.5e version of heartbeat.
>
> I haven't received a single bug report on it.
>
> Either it has no bugs, or no one has tested it. (I rather suspect the latter).

Still in the test, only problem at the moment is that the module does not
work. I can load it before the start, i can see the the nodes, but a
cat /proc/ha/nodes/node1 for example gives an segmentation fault from
the cat....

The second thing can be answered in a few days. I had with the previous
versions the problem that after an uptime of some days the slave does
not take the resources if the master dies. So for that answer i must
wait ...

The problems on the serial line has gone away, but i can't say what
fixed this. I have upgraded both nodes to kernel 2.2.13pre15 ....

Thomas

| Thomas Hepper th@ant.han.de |
| ( If the above address fail try ) |
| ( thomas.hepper@planet-interkom.de) |