Mailing List Archive

serial console bug in 2.3.16
Hi,
Ted, I think I've found an bug in the new serial driver: the following
line in kernels <= 2.3.16pre1 was enough to have a serial console setup:
append="console=ttyS1,38400 console=tty0 video=matrox:vesa:440"
but with 2.3.16 it no longer works, with the serial console working only
up to the serial.c version banner, then nothing more goes to the serial
console.
If a change the append line in lilo.conf to this:
append="console=ttyS1,38400 video=matrox:vesa:440"
The console serial goes back to full life, but I don't get the kernel
messages going too to tty0, as I want.
looking at the diffs I think the only serial console relevant part is
this hunk:
-static int tioccons(struct tty_struct *tty, struct tty_struct *real_tty)
+static int tioccons(struct inode *inode,
+ struct tty_struct *tty, struct tty_struct *real_tty)
{
- if (tty->driver.type == TTY_DRIVER_TYPE_CONSOLE ||
- tty->driver.type == TTY_DRIVER_TYPE_SYSCONS) {
+ if (inode->i_rdev == SYSCONS_DEV ||
+ inode->i_rdev == CONSOLE_DEV) {
if (!suser())
return -EPERM;
redirect = NULL;
Hope this is helpful,
- Arnaldo
-
Re: serial console bug in 2.3.16 [ In reply to ]
In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.4.10.9909022119580.23892-100000@frajuto.conectiva>,
Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@conectiva.com.br> wrote:
> Ted, I think I've found an bug in the new serial driver: the following
>line in kernels <= 2.3.16pre1 was enough to have a serial console setup:
>
>looking at the diffs I think the only serial console relevant part is
>this hunk:
>
>-static int tioccons(struct tty_struct *tty, struct tty_struct *real_tty)
>+static int tioccons(struct inode *inode,
>+ struct tty_struct *tty, struct tty_struct *real_tty)
That's not it, that part is only related to the TIOCCONS ioctl.
Which was broken and is now fixed.
Mike.
--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"