Mailing List Archive

2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work
Hi folks,

I've got a problem with a Samsung SATA dvd writer: It
doesn't play video DVDs. If I connect the same drive
via an adapter to USB, then there is no such problem.

dmesg says:

ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
ata2.00: (BMDMA stat 0x1)
ata2.00: tag 0 cmd 0xa0 Emask 0x4 stat 0x40 err 0x0 (timeout)
ata2: soft resetting port
ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
ata2.00: model number mismatch 'TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S183A' != 'ÑÅÌhõ³Nõ

This is reproducible.

lspci:
01:07.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3512 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
01:07.0 0104: 1095:3512 (rev 01)

/proc/scsi/scsi:
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: TSSTcorp Model: CD/DVDW SH-S183A Rev: SB01
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 05

I already asked Samsung's hotline for a firmware update,
but there is none available. They haven't heard of this
problem before, either. My wild guess would be that this
is a driver problem.

Kernels tried: 2.6.19.1, 2.6.18.3

What would be your suggestion to track down this problem?

Regards

Harri
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Harald Dunkel wrote:
> ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
> ata2.00: (BMDMA stat 0x1)
> ata2.00: tag 0 cmd 0xa0 Emask 0x4 stat 0x40 err 0x0 (timeout)
> ata2: soft resetting port
> ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
> ata2.00: model number mismatch 'TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S183A' != 'ÑÅÌhõ³Nõ

This is really fishy. Something really went wrong there. Please post
full dmesg and does the drive work at all? - eg. data dvd or cd. How
reproducible is the problem? What program did you use to play dvd? If
mplayer, please run it with -v and post what it says (usb case too).

--
tejun
-
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Hi Tejun,

Tejun Heo wrote:
> Harald Dunkel wrote:
>> ata2.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
>> ata2.00: (BMDMA stat 0x1)
>> ata2.00: tag 0 cmd 0xa0 Emask 0x4 stat 0x40 err 0x0 (timeout)
>> ata2: soft resetting port
>> ata2: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps (SStatus 113 SControl 310)
>> ata2.00: model number mismatch 'TSSTcorpCD/DVDW SH-S183A' != 'ÑÅÌhõ³Nõ
>
> This is really fishy. Something really went wrong there. Please post
> full dmesg and does the drive work at all? - eg. data dvd or cd.

I haven't tried writing CDs yet, but the last backup on
DVD went fine. And it is really fast: It starts writing
DVDs with 8X and goes up to 18X (Verbatim DVD-R 16X). I
don't see a DMA problem.

> How
> reproducible is the problem?

Always. I tried 5 different commercial video DVD by now.
All showed this problem. The video DVDs I created in a
Philips DVD recorder (DVD-R) play fine. BTW, region code
has been set to 2 (Europe) using regionset. There was
no error message, AFAIR.

> What program did you use to play dvd?

xine, mplayer.

> If
> mplayer, please run it with -v and post what it says (usb case too).

See attachments.

Hope this helps. Please mail if you need more info, or if
there is something to try.

Regards

Harri
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
* dmesg is truncated, please post the content of file /var/log/boot.msg.

* Please post the result of 'lspci -nnvvv'

* Please try the attached patch and see if it makes any difference and
post the result of 'dmesg' after trying to play a problematic dvd.

--
tejun
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Hi Tejun,

Tejun Heo wrote:
> * dmesg is truncated, please post the content of file /var/log/boot.msg.
>
> * Please post the result of 'lspci -nnvvv'
>
> * Please try the attached patch and see if it makes any difference and
> post the result of 'dmesg' after trying to play a problematic dvd.

It still doesn't work, but the dmesg output looks less
weird. See attachments.

Hope this helps. Please mail.

Regards

Harri
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a problem with a Samsung SATA dvd writer: It
> doesn't play video DVDs. If I connect the same drive
> via an adapter to USB, then there is no such problem.

PS: To make sure that its not a hardware problem I have
tried this drive in another PC, using ata_piix for sata.
Same kernel, but 32bit. There was no problem here.

Regards

Harri
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi Tejun,
>
> Tejun Heo wrote:
>> * dmesg is truncated, please post the content of file /var/log/boot.msg.
>>
>> * Please post the result of 'lspci -nnvvv'
>>
>> * Please try the attached patch and see if it makes any difference and
>> post the result of 'dmesg' after trying to play a problematic dvd.
>>

> It still doesn't work, but the dmesg output looks less
> weird. See attachments.
>

> Hope this helps. Please mail.

Okay, Hmmm... Weird. I tried to reproduce it here w/ LG dvd ram and
sil3114 (almost identical, just two more ports) with no success. I just
ordered SH-S183A and it should arrive later today (zero-day shipping
just at USD 3.5!).

I'll write again when I know more.

--
tejun
-
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Tejun Heo wrote:
> Harald Dunkel wrote:
>> Hi Tejun,
>>
>> Tejun Heo wrote:
>>> * dmesg is truncated, please post the content of file /var/log/boot.msg.
>>>
>>> * Please post the result of 'lspci -nnvvv'
>>>
>>> * Please try the attached patch and see if it makes any difference and
>>> post the result of 'dmesg' after trying to play a problematic dvd.
>>>
>> It still doesn't work, but the dmesg output looks less
>> weird. See attachments.
>>

>> Hope this helps. Please mail.
>
> Okay, Hmmm... Weird. I tried to reproduce it here w/ LG dvd ram and
> sil3114 (almost identical, just two more ports) with no success. I just
> ordered SH-S183A and it should arrive later today (zero-day shipping
> just at USD 3.5!).
>
> I'll write again when I know more.

Failed to reproduce here. Please do the following two things.

1. Post the result of "mplayer -v dvd:// > out 2>&1"

2. Apply the attached patch to v2.6.19 and report dmesg after playing dvd.

Happy new year.

--
tejun
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Hi Tejun,

After the patch was applied (using 2.6.19.1 instead of 2.6.19, hope
you don't mind) I could play a DVD once. Unfortunately this was not
reproducible, using the same DVD. I have attached the requested log
files for the good and the last bad session. Hope this helps.

Which version of the SATA DVD writer have you received? The label
on my writer says

H/W:A Ver:A September 2006

I hope I don't break any netiquette by posting large log files.
Do I?

Many thanx

Harri
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi Tejun,
>
> After the patch was applied (using 2.6.19.1 instead of 2.6.19, hope
> you don't mind) I could play a DVD once. Unfortunately this was not
> reproducible, using the same DVD. I have attached the requested log
> files for the good and the last bad session. Hope this helps.
>
> Which version of the SATA DVD writer have you received? The label
> on my writer says
>
> H/W:A Ver:A September 2006

Mine is manufactured in December but other than that it's identical.
Firmware version is the same too.

> I hope I don't break any netiquette by posting large log files.
> Do I?

That's okay for me. vger might not be too happy tho. ;-)

Please do the following and post the result.

# strace mplayer -v dvd:// > out 2>&1

Happy new year.

--
tejun
-
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Hi Tejun,

Tejun Heo wrote:

> Please do the following and post the result.
>
> # strace mplayer -v dvd:// > out 2>&1

See attachment. I was lucky: On the first run with strace
mplayer could play the DVD (still using Tron). But this was
not reproducible.

Both strace files are attached. Hope this helps.

I noticed something else: If I run regionset to report the
supported region, then it returns on 64bit:

% regionset
regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
Current Region Code settings:
RPC Phase: Unknown (I)
type: NONE
vendor resets available: 0
user controlled changes resets available: 0
drive plays discs from region(s): 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8, mask=0x00

I am pretty sure that this drive is not region-free. On 32bit
(booting grml-0.9 from CD on a 2nd drive) I get the expected
"region 2 only". Of course I used the same 32bit executable.

Regards

Harri
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Hi Tejun,

Tejun Heo wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please do the following and post the result.
>
> # strace mplayer -v dvd:// > out 2>&1

I had sent this out last week. Any news about this?

Regards

Harri
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi Tejun,
>
> Tejun Heo wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Please do the following and post the result.
>>
>> # strace mplayer -v dvd:// > out 2>&1
>>

> I had sent this out last week. Any news about this?

Okay, I just tested a number of dvds on x86-64 and x86. The error
pattern is really interesting. It doesn't matter whether you're on
x86-64 or x86, 2.6.18 or 2.6.20-rc5. The problem occurs when a dvd
which doesn't match dvd's region mask is played.

MMC command 0xa4 (READ KEY) is the one which always fails. After the
failure, the odd goes into strange state and usually won't respond to
commands. Interestingly, if you pull the power plug or reset the
machine while the READ KEY command is in progress and then reconnect it,
you can play the DVD after that. I've checked this multiple times and
no, dvdcss key caching isn't the cause, crossed checked it multiple times.

Once you played a dvd this way, the drive seems to remember the dvd and
successfully plays it afterwards. I've checked this multiple times
using completely separate OS installation (one x86, the other x86-64).

This almost looks like new defense method against CSS-workaround. Can't
understand why the drive remembers successfully played dvds tho.

This is NOT a kernel/driver bug. Maybe libdvdread people are interested
in it. You better take it to them.

--
tejun
-
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Hi Tejun,

Tejun Heo wrote:

> Okay, I just tested a number of dvds on x86-64 and x86. The error
> pattern is really interesting. It doesn't matter whether you're on
> x86-64 or x86, 2.6.18 or 2.6.20-rc5. The problem occurs when a dvd
> which doesn't match dvd's region mask is played.
>
> MMC command 0xa4 (READ KEY) is the one which always fails. After the
> failure, the odd goes into strange state and usually won't respond to
> commands. Interestingly, if you pull the power plug or reset the
> machine while the READ KEY command is in progress and then reconnect it,
> you can play the DVD after that. I've checked this multiple times and
> no, dvdcss key caching isn't the cause, crossed checked it multiple times.
>
> Once you played a dvd this way, the drive seems to remember the dvd and
> successfully plays it afterwards. I've checked this multiple times
> using completely separate OS installation (one x86, the other x86-64).

How comes that there is no such problem if I connect the drive
via an USB SATA adapter?

> This almost looks like new defense method against CSS-workaround. Can't
> understand why the drive remembers successfully played dvds tho.

I would have the option to return it (playing no DVDs is surely
a defect), but this would be a shame. It was lightning fast on writing,
a little bit noisy, though, but I was really glad to get rid of that
clumsy parallel cable.

Do you think it would be reasonable to send a bug report to Samsung,
and see what they say? I would need some documentation about these
MMC commands, though. Is this part of some "Red Book" standard, or
so?

Regards

Harri
Re: 2.6.19.1, sata_sil: sata dvd writer doesn't work [ In reply to ]
Harald Dunkel wrote:
> How comes that there is no such problem if I connect the drive
> via an USB SATA adapter?

Ah... right. I forgot about that. Scrap my analysis. What happens is
really weird tho.

> Do you think it would be reasonable to send a bug report to Samsung,
> and see what they say? I would need some documentation about these
> MMC commands, though. Is this part of some "Red Book" standard, or
> so?

Yeap, reporting is probably a good idea. libdvdread ppl would be
interested too. MMC is SCSI command set standard for ODDs and can be
found at t10.org.

I don't think we can proceed with kernel debugging before gathering more
info about this problem. Feel free to cc me when you ask people about
this problem. I really like the dvd writer and would love to see the
problem ironed out.

Thanks.

--
tejun