Mailing List Archive

Oops on poweroff (2.2.0-pre4)
-
Re: Oops on poweroff (2.2.0-pre4) [ In reply to ]
Hi Walter,
Walter Hofmann <walter.hofmann@stud.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

> Linux 2.2.0-pre4 crashes on poweroff. The oops message is many pages long
> and gets repeated again and again, so I cannot guarantee that this is
> 100% accurate (I had to write it down by hand):
>
> general protection fault: fdfc
> CPU: 0
> EIP: 0050:[<00008896>]
>
> This is a Gigabyte GA686SLX motherboard with an Award BIOS v4.51PGM.
You are the second person with a Gigabyte motherboard to report this.
We suspect a bad BIOS as the line
> EIP: 0050:[<00008896>]
indicates that the code is being executed out of the BIOS (no the
Linux kernel). The 0050 is the APM BIOS's 16 bit code segment. Does
this also crash with previous kernels?
Cheers,
Stephen
--
Stephen Rothwell Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/
Re: Oops on poweroff (2.2.0-pre4) [ In reply to ]
Stephen.Rothwell writes:
> > Linux 2.2.0-pre4 crashes on poweroff. The oops message is many pages long
> You are the second person with a Gigabyte motherboard to report this.
> We suspect a bad BIOS as the line EIP: 0050:[<00008896>]
> indicates that the code is being executed out of the BIOS
I've noticed the same behavior, on a HP vectra (using HP's BIOS), on a
SuperMicro P6-DS (Modern AMI BIOS) and on an ASUS P2B-DS (Award BIOS). It's
also interesting to note that if the LK is compiled UP, APM is enabled, and
the config ooption for "poweroff on shutdown" enabled, the machine/BIOS powers
off just fine. So perhaps what's happening is that the kernel's SysRq
poweroff feature isn't initializing the APM the way it would otherwise have
been initialized, and this is causing the BIOS to become confused.
--
Kristofer Karas * kXtXk@bigfoot.com (delete X's)
AMA/CCS DoD RF900RR HawkGT !car * Senior systems engineer/SysAdmin
Re: Oops on poweroff (2.2.0-pre4) [ In reply to ]
> Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:37:47 -0500
> From: Kris Karas <ktk@ktk.bidmc.harvard.edu>
>
> Stephen.Rothwell writes:
>
> > > Linux 2.2.0-pre4 crashes on poweroff. The oops message is many pages long
> > You are the second person with a Gigabyte motherboard to report this.
> > We suspect a bad BIOS as the line EIP: 0050:[<00008896>]
> > indicates that the code is being executed out of the BIOS
>
> I've noticed the same behavior, on a HP vectra (using HP's BIOS), on a
> SuperMicro P6-DS (Modern AMI BIOS) and on an ASUS P2B-DS (Award BIOS). It's
> also interesting to note that if the LK is compiled UP, APM is enabled, and
> the config ooption for "poweroff on shutdown" enabled, the machine/BIOS powers
> off just fine. So perhaps what's happening is that the kernel's SysRq
> poweroff feature isn't initializing the APM the way it would otherwise have
> been initialized, and this is causing the BIOS to become confused.
So are you implying that all the faulting machines are SMP?
Cheers,
Re: Oops on poweroff (2.2.0-pre4) [ In reply to ]
Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > I've noticed the same behavior, on a HP vectra (using HP's BIOS), on a
> > SuperMicro P6-DS (Modern AMI BIOS) and on an ASUS P2B-DS (Award BIOS)...
>
> So are you implying that all the faulting machines are SMP?
No, as the Vectras are both UP, but I couldn't rule it out either; I haven't tried
to poweroff via the kernel on one of the Vectras in a long time, so memory fades
there. But yes, it's possible it's SMP related, as the SMP kernels don't go to the
bother of initializing APM upon bootup.
-
Re: Oops on poweroff (2.2.0-pre4) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 Stephen.Rothwell@canb.auug.org.au wrote:
> Hi Walter,
>
> Walter Hofmann <walter.hofmann@stud.uni-erlangen.de> writes:
> >
> > Linux 2.2.0-pre4 crashes on poweroff. The oops message is many pages long
> > and gets repeated again and again, so I cannot guarantee that this is
> > 100% accurate (I had to write it down by hand):
> >
> > general protection fault: fdfc
> > CPU: 0
> > EIP: 0050:[<00008896>]
> >
> > This is a Gigabyte GA686SLX motherboard with an Award BIOS v4.51PGM.
>
> You are the second person with a Gigabyte motherboard to report this.
> We suspect a bad BIOS as the line
> > EIP: 0050:[<00008896>]
> indicates that the code is being executed out of the BIOS (no the
> Linux kernel). The 0050 is the APM BIOS's 16 bit code segment. Does
> this also crash with previous kernels?
It crashes with 2.0.35, 2.0.36, 2.1.115. One of the 2.0.36 pre
patches worked fine, though. I just don't remember which one.
Walter
-
Re: Oops on poweroff (2.2.0-pre4) [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 06, 1999 at 02:37:47PM -0500, Kris Karas wrote:
> I've noticed the same behavior, on a HP vectra (using HP's BIOS), on a
> SuperMicro P6-DS (Modern AMI BIOS) and on an ASUS P2B-DS (Award BIOS).
Throw in a me, too here.
> It's also interesting to note that if the LK is compiled UP, APM is
> enabled, and the config ooption for "poweroff on shutdown" enabled, the
> machine/BIOS powers off just fine.
Hmmm. I've been trying to get this to happen myself, but I can't. I have
all of those options compiled in, and I'm using the latest sysvinit, but
/sbin/poweroff just halts the machine. I'm using an AOpen AX59Pro (VIA
MPV3) BIOS v1.1. Can anyone help me (off the list, unless there's a quick
answer)?
Thanks,
Danek
-