E-Mail: Will Lotto <will_lotto@bssc.edu.au>
Date: 04-Jan-99
Time: 01:06:56
This message was sent by XFMail
Re: Random PPP Dropouts [ In reply to ]
Will Lotto wrote:

> Hi,
> I am running kernel 2.2.0-pre4, with pppd 2.3.5, I use a dial on demand system
> for accessing the internet `pon provider' and I get disconnected from my ISP
> after about 1 hour of connection. If I quickly re-connect it doesn't happen
> again, but it is costing me phone calls so I thought I'd report it.

I could reproduce this problem with ISDN and ipppd. When the connection seems
to be blocked on the second dial, then there is a duplicate entry in the
routing table:
{harri@bilbo:harri 1} netstat -nr
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0
146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0
The default route disappeared somehow.
I am not sure whether this is a kernel problem or a problem with ipppd.
Regards
Harri
> I know it isn't my provider, because it happens on both my ISPs, and I haven't
> noticed it before when using an earlier (stable) kernel (1.0.36 or whatever it
> is).
>
> My modem is a Spirit 33.6kbps modem based on a Rockwell Chipset.
>
> Thanks
>
> Will Lotto
> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: Will Lotto <will_lotto@bssc.edu.au>
> Date: 04-Jan-99
> Time: 01:06:56
>
> This message was sent by XFMail
Harald Dunkel | dunkel@Synopsys.COM | O glücklich, wer noch hoffen kann,
Synopsys GmbH | Kaiserstr. 100 | aus diesem Meer des Irrtums
52134 Herzogenrath, Germany | aufzutauchen. Faust,
+49 2407 9558 (fax? 44: 0) | Der Tragödie erster Teil, J.W.G.
-
RE: Random PPP Dropouts [ In reply to ]
Will,
Funnily enough, I get this too with 2.2.0-pre2 (never had enough time to
compile pre3 before pre4 ccame out!) - pppd alleges that it's received a
SIGHUP, and drops the line. Also, PPP sessions seem to lose large chunks of
their bandwidth - *everything* slows down (I'm lucky to get more than about
1.6k/sec).
Everything was fine with 2.0.36...
I have NT (spit) on the same machine, and this works almost perfectly with
my ISP.
Peter Hicks
Network Support Analyst
Poggs Computer Services

Re: Random PPP Dropouts [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Will Lotto wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I am running kernel 2.2.0-pre4, with pppd 2.3.5, I use a dial on demand system
> > for accessing the internet `pon provider' and I get disconnected from my ISP
> > after about 1 hour of connection. If I quickly re-connect it doesn't happen
> > again, but it is costing me phone calls so I thought I'd report it.
> >

> I could reproduce this problem with ISDN and ipppd. When the connection seems
> to be blocked on the second dial, then there is a duplicate entry in the
> routing table:
>
> {harri@bilbo:harri 1} netstat -nr
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
> 146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0
> 146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0
Hi Harri,
This was driving me nuts. It appeared with pre1, and I reversed just
about the entire patch piece by piece until just about the only thing
left was drivers and the makefile version changes. You guessed it..
the makefile changes. I haven't figured out why yet, but I now have a
pre1 with everything except that, and the annoying route and demand dial
problems are gone. 'Course it has an identity crisis, (it thinks it's
2.1.132) but it works.
-Mike
-Mike
-
Re: Random PPP Dropouts [ In reply to ]
Mike Galbraith wrote:

> Hi Harri,
>
> This was driving me nuts. It appeared with pre1, and I reversed just
> about the entire patch piece by piece until just about the only thing
> left was drivers and the makefile version changes. You guessed it..
> the makefile changes. I haven't figured out why yet, but I now have a
> pre1 with everything except that, and the annoying route and demand dial
> problems are gone. 'Course it has an identity crisis, (it thinks it's
> 2.1.132) but it works.
>
> -Mike
Hi Mike,
As suggested I have renamed the pre4 kernel into 2.1.136, and the problem
disappeared!
The bug seems to be in ipppd/sys-linux.c. Decode_version() stumbles
over the '-pre4'. Attached is is a suggested workaround for
ipppd 3.0beta2. But probably it is more easy to remove the definition
of 'EXTRAVERSION' in the top level Makefile, delete
include/linux/version.h and rebuild the kernel. I guess EXTRAVESRION
will disappear with the final 2.2.0 kernel anyway.
Regards
Harri
--
Harald Dunkel | dunkel@Synopsys.COM | O glücklich, wer noch hoffen kann,
Synopsys GmbH | Kaiserstr. 100 | aus diesem Meer des Irrtums
52134 Herzogenrath, Germany | aufzutauchen. Faust,
+49 2407 9558 (fax? 44: 0) | Der Tragödie erster Teil, J.W.G.
*** ./ipppd/sys-linux.c~ Mon Nov 9 15:00:15 1998
--- ./ipppd/sys-linux.c Wed Jan 6 19:43:06 1999
***************
*** 1228,1240 ****
*patch = (int) strtoul (buf, &buf, 10);
}
}
!
if (*buf != '\0')
{
*version =
*modification =
*patch = 0;
}
}

/*
--- 1228,1241 ----
*patch = (int) strtoul (buf, &buf, 10);
}
}
! /*
if (*buf != '\0')
{
*version =
*modification =
*patch = 0;
}
+ */
}

/*
-
Re: Random PPP Dropouts [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Mike Galbraith wrote:
> >
> > This was driving me nuts. It appeared with pre1, and I reversed just
> > about the entire patch piece by piece until just about the only thing
> > left was drivers and the makefile version changes. You guessed it..
> > the makefile changes. I haven't figured out why yet, but I now have a
> > pre1 with everything except that, and the annoying route and demand dial
> > problems are gone. 'Course it has an identity crisis, (it thinks it's
> > 2.1.132) but it works.
>
> As suggested I have renamed the pre4 kernel into 2.1.136, and the problem
> disappeared!
>
> The bug seems to be in ipppd/sys-linux.c. Decode_version() stumbles
> over the '-pre4'. Attached is is a suggested workaround for
> ipppd 3.0beta2. But probably it is more easy to remove the definition
> of 'EXTRAVERSION' in the top level Makefile, delete
> include/linux/version.h and rebuild the kernel. I guess EXTRAVESRION
> will disappear with the final 2.2.0 kernel anyway.
Yeah, figured out why a little later. My forehead is a little tender
from banging it on the desk afterward :)
-Mike
-
Re: Random PPP Dropouts [ In reply to ]
Hi Mike.
>>> I am running kernel 2.2.0-pre4, with pppd 2.3.5, I use a dial on
>>> demand system for accessing the internet `pon provider' and I get
>>> disconnected from my ISP after about 1 hour of connection. If I
>>> quickly re-connect it doesn't happen again, but it is costing me
>>> phone calls so I thought I'd report it.
>> I could reproduce this problem with ISDN and ipppd. When the
>> connection seems to be blocked on the second dial, then there is a
>> duplicate entry in the routing table:
>> {harri@bilbo:harri 1} netstat -nr
>> Kernel IP routing table
>> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
>> 146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0
>> 146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0
> This was driving me nuts. It appeared with pre1, and I reversed
> just about the entire patch piece by piece until just about the
> only thing left was drivers and the makefile version changes. You
> guessed it...the makefile changes. I haven't figured out why yet,
> but I now have a pre1 with everything except that, and the annoying
> route and demand dial problems are gone. 'Course it has an identity
> crisis, (it thinks it's 2.1.132) but it works.
That had me wondering if it was due to the new KERNELRELEASE makefile
variable not being defined somewhere, so I grep'd the entire Makefile
tree to see if there were any remaining places where it might belong.
As it turns out, there are three occasions where EXTRAVERSION isn't
used, although in each case, I'm not sure whether it should be, but
here's the details anyway, this relating to 2.2.0-pre4-ac4 if that
helps, all paths relative to /usr/src/linux or wherever you unpacked
the source...
1. Makefile line 285
2. arch/arm/boot/Makefile line 23
3. arch/arm/boot/Makefile line 23
Comments?
Best wishes from Riley.
---
* ftp://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/pub/rhw/Linux
* http://ps.cus.umist.ac.uk/~rhw/kernel.versions.html
-
Re: Random PPP Dropouts [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi Mike.

> >> I could reproduce this problem with ISDN and ipppd. When the
> >> connection seems to be blocked on the second dial, then there is a
> >> duplicate entry in the routing table:
>
> >> {harri@bilbo:harri 1} netstat -nr
> >> Kernel IP routing table
> >> Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
> >> 146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0
> >> 146.225.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 ippp0
>
> > This was driving me nuts. It appeared with pre1, and I reversed
> > just about the entire patch piece by piece until just about the
> > only thing left was drivers and the makefile version changes. You
> > guessed it...the makefile changes. I haven't figured out why yet,
> > but I now have a pre1 with everything except that, and the annoying
> > route and demand dial problems are gone. 'Course it has an identity
> > crisis, (it thinks it's 2.1.132) but it works.
>
> That had me wondering if it was due to the new KERNELRELEASE makefile
> variable not being defined somewhere, so I grep'd the entire Makefile
> tree to see if there were any remaining places where it might belong.
>
> As it turns out, there are three occasions where EXTRAVERSION isn't
> used, although in each case, I'm not sure whether it should be, but
> here's the details anyway, this relating to 2.2.0-pre4-ac4 if that
> helps, all paths relative to /usr/src/linux or wherever you unpacked
> the source...
>
> 1. Makefile line 285
> 2. arch/arm/boot/Makefile line 23
> 3. arch/arm/boot/Makefile line 23
>
> Comments?
I think it's just a case of userland daemon not being maximum flexible
wrt version parsing. May be other apps out there that are pickey too.
-Mike
-